Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Jade Empire pretty okay per 1Up

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Jade Empire

<a href="http://www.1up.com/">1Up</a> serves up <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3157458">a review</a> of <a href="http://jade.bioware.com/">Jade Empire</a>. It scores an average sounding <b>7.0/10</b>, most likely because it's an old game ported to the PC because they didn't do a heck of a lot of expanding on why the score isn't higher. Anyway, gushing:
<br>
<blockquote>As in KOTOR, most of your problems get solved through either conversation or combat. The former is where Jade's attention to detail comes in -- as you wander from place to place and clear objectives from your quest log, you meet dozens of people, most of whom have a lot to say to you. It doesn't take long to get a sense of the time and attention put into the game's atmosphere and dialogue; once you get over the amusing irony of Jade's heavy reliance on Western accents, it's easy to appreciate the detail that went into the various plot threads. Most of your dialogue responses amount to "good" and "evil" choices, but unlike in KOTOR, these are framed more as differing-but-equally-valid philosophies (Way of the Open Palm/Way of the Closed Fist) and less as hard-and-fast moral beliefs, though they do dictate your martial options to some extent.</blockquote>
<br>
Shouldn't the first line read <i>As in every single CRPG ever</i>? If you're not discussing it or fighting about it, what else is there? Things just working themselves out on their own?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.ve3d.com">Voodoo Extreme</A>

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Generally, you still have to talk to solve most puzzle quests. Typically puzzles are in the middle of the quest, not at the beginning or end of them. It's usually Talk->Puzzle->talk if we're talking about a purely puzzle based quest.

Texas Red

Whiner
And of course looking back at the review of the Xbox version we can see that, as always, that wasnt an issue back then, in the time where such crappy Biowhoresque combat was more than acceptable.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Finally a reviewer just comes out and admits that tehr eason the PC version i sgetting a lower score than the xbox version is simplyu because they're whining that the PC version doesn't have a heck of a lot more 'extras'. :roll: :roll:

geminito

Liturgist
1. I am collecting Way of the Open Palm points.
2. I am collecting Way of the Closed Fist points.
3. Goodbye.

All our role-playing game dreams have come true!

Ladonna

Arcane
I don't know whether this game sucks or not, but these reviews have certainly been educational when it comes to reviewers.....

Is it a follow the leader type thing? Lack of advertisement money being spent or....?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
.. or, the fact it's a 2 year old port with hardly any new additions/upgrades. ie. If people are expecting a port ala Fable they'll be sadly dissapointed. No real new content outside of a few new 'powerrz', and a new monster.

P.S. @ RP: Oh SNAP!

Ladonna

Arcane
So you think this port was a waste of time and effort Volourn?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That depends what BIO's gaols for it are. If it was just made for their PC (or general PC users) fanbase who simply refused to buy a xbox to play JE two years ago then it wa slikely worth it. The xbox version sold about 600k (which some like to falsely claim was a fialure but uhuh) in the first 6 months or so. I'd be surprised if the PC version reaches half that; but it doesn't need to since the port itself took only about a year to do with limited manpower (instead of JE's about 3 years with the usual huge BIO team).

So, it was likely worth it in terms of profit for BIO and in terms of those PC gamers who like BIO games but didn't want to touch the xbox. Otherwise, meh.

It also should be noted that BIO didn't completely develop the PC version. They contracte dout someone else tod evlop it while they oversaw their work. And, hey, at least unlike SOU, BIO didn't have to trash and restart it. L0L

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Saint_Proverbius said:
Shouldn't the first line read <i>As in every single CRPG ever</i>?
Come on, be more understanding. Not everyone played other cRPGS than KotOR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom