Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview But wait! There is more...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/>NMA</a> has posted <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37352>some info</a> and <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=2347>this lovely picture</a> from the PC Gamer UK Fallout article:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Emil: "it's a shock when you find out your dad is missing, and the Overseer [the chief of the Vault] is pissed off. He thinks you had something to do with it and <b>he sends his thugs after you</b>. The Vault is no longer safe for you. In addition to you wanting to find your dad, you're under pressure to get out..." </blockquote>Huh?
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>[sheriff Lucas Simms of Megaton] He's cautiously friendly, but warns you what'll happen if you misbehave in his town. A good man doing a tough job? Or a self-important egotist living out his cowboy dreams? (...) you'll start to realise there are hidden depths to many of Fallout 3's characters. </blockquote>The better your imagination, the more hidden depths you can discover.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>[options on Megaton's quest] You could ignore him and keep pursuing your dad. You could say you'll do it, then rat him out to the sheriff. You could say you won't, then do it anyway, just to piss off everyone. The upshot is that, a couple of hours into the game, you could be standing on a rooftop watching a town and its inhabitants being atomised... or you could still be there, doing odd jobs and getting pally with the lunatic who worships the bomb as a god. </blockquote>So, uh ... basically you can either nuke the town for no reason - just because you can and thinks that it's cool, or you can leave the town alone, just because you can... I'm suddenly overwhelmed by them moral choices. What's worse is that nuking the poor town opens a new location, which doesn't make any fucking sense at all:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Gavin Carter: You play [the Megaton quest] through the "bad" way and blow up the town, you erase everything in Megaton: all the quests that you might have gotten in there are now gone. But it opens up a new area, Ten Penny Tower, that you wouldn't have opened up if you didn't blow up the town. And that place has new quests, it has new items that you wouldn't have gotten.</blockquote>New items? Give me that nuke!
<br>

Texas Red

Whiner
*groan* Is the Megatown the new Fargoth quest? Hmm, I wonder what they will hype off in the place of the bookshop and more importantly will the "reviewers" have orgasms about the AI and forget Oblivion and its hype?

Kraszu

Prophet
I would not trust that sheriff he is crazy, just try to say anything about his hat.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
What's worse is that nuking the poor town opens a new location, which doesn't make any fucking sense at all

From Gamespot:

"When you arrive at Megaton, you'll eventually have two choices. A stranger will reward you if you rearm the bomb, as he represents a developer that would like to wipe Megaton from the map to make room for a nice postnuclear suburb."

WTF?? It will all be radiated, you ignorant fool!!!

Lumpy

Arcane
It's because, y'know, the wasteland is really overcrowded, so land means a lot.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Don't be silly. Radiation is what everyone craves. It has electrolytes!

You could say you won't, then do it anyway, just to piss off everyone.
Yes, because those vaporized people will be so pissed when they find out I set off a nuclear device after I said I wouldn't.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Don't be silly. Radiation is what everyone craves. It has electrolytes!

:lol:

I really must see Idiocracy. Maybe I´ll rent it tonight, if I find it in the Blockbuster near my home.

Gwendo

Augur
These fallout previews are becoming real S&M events for the fallout fans.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Gwendo said:
These fallout previews are becoming real S&M events for the fallout fans.

There are so many of them :cry:

Yes, because those vaporized people will be so pissed when they find out I set off a nuclear device after I said I wouldn't.

Actually, I read that as "if you turn down the quest, and then do it anyway, Mr Burke will still dislike you for turning down the quest."

Can I get a guhhuh?

Hey, people, don't forget all the choices you're making! Obviously you're choosing not to kill your father with your bare hands during the tutorial! And you're choosing to leave the Vault rather than pick a fight with these guys! And then you choose to spend all your time working up to finding your dad! These are special, immersive choices, the type that're so optional they're already made for you! Game of the Year 2008, 2009 AND 2010!

VDweller, I can't believe you let this one go:

Todd warms to the theme. "In Oblivion, we say, here's the good part of the game and here's the evil part. In Fallout we say, here's the situation. You deal with it in ways that feel natural to your character... Later on, we realised a lot of the quests we were making were morally grey, neither definably good nor evil. We asked, do they need to be clear? And decided, no, definitely not."

"The fact that we didn't pre-decide that certain paths are good or evil means they're morally ambiguous."

This must be that special, epic design style I hear so much about!

Brother None said:

Actually, I read that as "if you turn down the quest, and then do it anyway, Mr Burke will still dislike you for turning down the quest."
Well it says "everyone" which to me means, well everyone. It would be idiotic either way.

Todd warms to the theme. "In Oblivion, we say, here's the good part of the game and here's the evil part. In Fallout we say, here's the situation. You deal with it in ways that feel natural to your character... Later on, we realised a lot of the quests we were making were morally grey, neither definably good nor evil. We asked, do they need to be clear? And decided, no, definitely not."
You play [the Megaton quest] through the "bad" way and blow up the town
We chose to make the game morally grey, but we'll still say what's a bad choice and what's good?

Ander Vinz

Scholar
This Foolout3 situation upsets me in a bit different way: VD is spending time reading all this shit and promised AoD combat video hasn't been shown to us yet.

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's coming. We've finally recorded the video, looks pretty awesome to me. I'm usually on the skeptical side when it comes to AoD stuff, but the combat does look great. Anyway, Flashback, the programmer, insists that it's still not good enough, so he requested another week of tweaking.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
It's coming.
Hmm... okay than. *aside* lazy developers.

We've finally recorded the video, looks pretty awesome to me.

I'm usually on the skeptical side when it comes to AoD stuff, but the combat does look great.
:shock:

Flashback, the programmer, insists that it's still not good enough, so he requested another week of tweaking.
Sure, it's better than showing raw material. *aside* total sluggards.

Fez

Erudite
I'm happy enough to wait. Nothing worse than seeing a promising pet project get rushed due to pressure from publishers and spoiled by it.

gc051360

Scholar
I keep reading this Fallout 3 stuff.....and I'm waiting for someone to say "April Fools" or something like that. It's beyond silly.

Deleted member 7219

What a load of BULLSHIT. In Oblivion, there was only one evil quest, and that was the Dark Brotherhood storyline. You couldn't be the bad guy in anything else. It was massively one sided. He's got a fucking nerve saying in Oblivion there was the good part and the evil part. No. Could you join the Mystic Dawn and destroy the world? Could you fuck.

Lumpy

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
Could you join the Mystic Dawn and destroy the world? Could you fuck.
No u cudn't fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom