Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1971 Project Helios - turn-based strategy game set in a frozen world

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I got to "Day 5" which seems to mark the end of "tutorial".
And it does not look very good.

Maps are small and very linear.
Battle encounters are smallscale(-ish) 4 vs 5/6, located in fixed spots, and have a certain "tactical puzzle" feel to them.
All units take their predesigned positions at the beginning of a battle, and you have to complete encounter without casualties.
After battle all health is fully recovered.

Combat itself is basically a nuXcom 2 AP system with cooldowns.
No limit of ammo and grenades, no need to reload.
One good thing - there is friendly fire.

One interesting mechanic is Cold.
Characters exposed to cold weather are freezing out, taking "cold damage" each round.
These lost HP can be recovered by spending "fulgor" for heating.
Fulgor, a kind of local magical fuel stuff, is the only limited resource that is used for everything from reducing cooldowns on abilities to recovering downed characters.

There are 8 pregenerated characters, and you can field 4 of them.
Their roles are more or less overlapping: you have 2 melee, 2 snipers, 2 support and 2 assaults.
Some characters must be present on certain missions.

Character progression is not very deep.
Every unit has 1 basic attack and can select 2 more with some variations:

NraK0rm.png

There's no level progression.
Instead you find bits of equipment that can upgrade your abilities (like +10 DMG) or unlock new ones.
These equipment part can be traded between characters.

The setting is the best part of it, and there seems to be a decent story for those who want to uncover it.
Oh, one more word about music, especially music in combat. It's some mortal-combat tier shit, and does not fit the gameplay at all.

All in all, in my opinion, this game would be passable at best if there was a drought in the field of TB tactics. But it's not the case at the moment.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
game has shit performance
full settings screen...
Ey31PiF.jpg

hanna gets stuck for a couple of seconds infront of the enemy, while runing to his back
she is running in circles on a single tile
i dont even understand how A* pathing could do this
17O1WHX.jpg

wowzies, i cant target him for some reason...
NKDvm3D.jpg

turns out he is actually invisible and there, where the red square is (this is not a special ability lol)
BItAJjg.jpg

uninstall.exe

ui made for controllers
software mouse pointer
very eccentric music..............................

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
turns out he is actually invisible and there, where the red square is (this is not a special ability lol)

Actually it *is* a special ability, not very exciting though, that will be unlocked a bit further into the game.
And yeah, it really sucks that you can't use mouse for basic things such as ending turns and clicking through dialogs.

Jinn

Arcane
Game sounds like it has about as much complexity as an mobile "tactics" game. Glad I never invested much interest in it. Thanks for the information on it guys! Looks terrible.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Invisible Inc has not much complexity either but its eveyrones fav for some reason...

Actually it *is* a special ability,
Wow, I cant remember a time when a game tried to mislead me this way. If teh game was running better, Id reinstall...

I think its a actually a coincidence that it worked, worked too well. I moved Hanna behind the enemy and the rock blocked the actual position so the 'shooting' ability did not highlight the actual tile the enemy was on.
When I moved the other soldier and pressed shoot, I saw it.
Lol, I noticed the enemy silouette was weird and thought that the game bugged out even before I discovered the true position. And because just before that Hanna was running in circles in place (and coupled with the bad game perf on my machine), I rolled my eyes and alt-f4, uninstall. Talk about bad luck for a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom