Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking 1eyedking's List of Games Full of Tasteful Art Direction

1eyedking

Erudite
Incoming art direction overload:

FgRlqPb.jpg

jriHbbI.jpg

s1RqTXf.jpg

uQA8oYr.jpg

DfhUJB8.jpg

3j2d6i8.jpg

4hjD11c.jpg

blc5xVG.jpg

dImhOeY.jpg

EWN9Go0.jpg

7QCEZ2l.jpg

DrmLsi2.jpg

Ss5zHIC.jpg

1eyedking

Erudite
I'm adding Nuclear Throne.

Visual design reminds me of Day of the Tentacle a lot, which is not a compliment by any chance.
Yet...there's something disturbing about cute cartoons living some sort of nightmarish, repetitive hell. Makes you feel more empathy for the little buggers or something.

But anyway, the real reason I'm adding it is because of the music (it seems it always is, isn't it?):

It's also full of amazingly tiny details that give it a really nice feel. Plus it gets random right.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Too bad the game didn't actually look like that. I'm guessing Thief 4 will be added to the list soon?

1eyedking

Erudite
1st pic: No
2nd: No
3rd: Maybe. The tower looks like shit, and the quadruple chimneys look...wrong.
4th: Maybe-. Too much bloom ruins any melancholic feeling whatsoever.

I admit Dishonored had its moments, like the prison's yard.

But alas, it almost never looked that way, and it was marred by bad music, bad writing, bad plot, bad character visual design, bad weapon design...

This seems to happen in a lot of games, though.
Great-looking environments that contrast starkly with the rest of the game's design, as if they were done by two completely separate departments that didn't know what the fuck was going on in the other.
It's as if one team is made up of mad romantic nerds filled with nightmarish visions, and the other of hipster faggots fresh out of design school.

One recent example that was a complete, total letdown: Sir, You Are Being Hunted

81d9ea47030e74ef6c9c16bd45b1bba8_large.jpg

"Wow. That looks cool, let's see some more."

sir_you_are_being_hunted_11.jpg

"Fuck yeah, wasteland, rain, desolation, no colors!...but what the fuck is going on with that shotgun?"

robot1.jpg

/uninstall

1eyedking

Erudite
Three new entries were added to my glorious list:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat
Silent Hill 4: The Room

All hail Art Direction!

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Witcher 1. It's more Slavic than pagan Poland. Wish Potato was moar like that, rather than keeping up with the Joneses (the west).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
FFA166C9B76C1189EE4A909DC8442F208B474A5B

screenshot_2014-10-30fusd6.jpg

Some art direction. Actually someone should capture certain areas from first chapters in 2500+ resolution.

DramaticPopcorn

And what's wrong with Clear Sky's art direction exactly?
Same assets, same engine.

1eyedking

Erudite
1eyedking - What do you think about Witcher 3 art direction so far ?
Hit and miss.

It's going the high fantasy route when it should be going the other way.

It'll probably be The Witcher 2 on steroids, which means we'll get some bits of good stuff, but the folkish feeling of the first has been lost completely.

I could go over the details like armor design being outright ridiculous, monsters straight out of MMORPGs, the main villain some sort of Peter Jackson's Sauron abortion, etc., but it's pointless.

It'll probably play like a somewhat tasteful Skyrim but immersion-wise it won't reach Vizima Temple Quarter levels.

1eyedking

Erudite
Some art direction. Actually someone should capture certain areas from first chapters in 2500+ resolution.
No. It's shitty generic jRPG stuff.

And what's wrong with Clear Sky's art direction exactly?
Same assets, same engine.
Nothing wrong, but it's more diluted than the first.

Kind of like the same painter who has the same brush & palette, but wasn't as inspired when he drew his 2nd work.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
1024x0.resizedimage

1024x0.resizedimage

1024x0.resizedimage

1024x0.resizedimage

Oh yes because this stuff is too primitive. You can complain about FFXIII interactivity, but not about art direction.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Why not. That art direction is shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom