Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2004 RPGs

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
I'd like to get an idea of what RPGs are being released this year, so I'd like to set up a list here for two reasons.

1) To be sure I personally am not missing anything.

2) Perhaps it can assist someone who's also trying to get an idea of what this year should be like for the genre.

If you're aware of something I'm not, please tell me, and provide links. If you want to make a correction, go ahead. I'll hopefully be able to add at least a couple more...

Beyond Divinity
Golden Land
Metalheart
Ultima IV: Dawn of Virtue
Blades of Avernum
Silent Storm: Sentinels
Sacred
Inquisitor
The Fall: Last Days of Gaia
Vampire:tM - Bloodlines
Gangland
Bard's Tale
Restricted Area
The Bloody Magic
Space Hack
Seal of Evil
Shadow Vault
Phase: Exodus
Weird Wars
Freedom Force versus the Third Reich
Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire
Dungeon Siege 2
Power of Law

What am I missing?

Spazmo

Erudite
Just use our database and look for release dates in 2004. If we know about a game's release date, it's in there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Jade Empire though its from the crappy developer Bioware on a crappy console and is advertised as a crappy action-rpg (much like Vampire amazingly enough). It looks good; but unfortunately unelss things change I won't be buying it. :cry:

http://jade.bioware.com/

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
I think we're mostly a PC-only crowd here which is why I'm omitting titles like Jade and Fable. And neither of them are very likely to even be ported this year, I think.

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
I don't know a lot about Gangland, but I would think if Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance could be classified as RPGs (modern era dungeon crawlers) then Gangland also should be.

Ausir

Arcane
Looking at screenshots, Gangland doesn't look like too much of an RPG to me. More like an RTS with RPG elements.

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
In Gangland, do you create a squad/party/whatever and develop the skills of a set number of characters? Or are you constantly churning out new gangsters a la an RTS? It's the difference between working with characters or units that I guess would make it an RPG or an RTS.

It sounds like a tactical RPG to me but I haven't really looked into it that much.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
About Gangland:

You choose from four brothers as your main character, then you go around and recruit people from the streets and such to be in your gang. All characters have skills and such and they can gain experience, thus getting better in those skills and in other areas as well. You can interact with any npc and even get married and have kids who can grow up and continue the family business. It really has elements from alot of games in it and I hope the game delivers what is promised. It looks fun as hell.

Edit: So you know, the three brothers you do not choose go on to run their own gangs and you eventually have to topple them or something like that. All the info you need is at the game's site.

Shevek

Arcane
Its looking to be a sad year in CRPGland. Most of the RPGs listed arent RPGs.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Shevek said:
Its looking to be a sad year in CRPGland. Most of the RPGs listed arent RPGs.

Yeah, many of them are action CRPGs, which isn't exactly happy dance stuff. I'd gladly accept a turn based dungeon crawler of half dozen though as opposed to one of those. However, I am hoping Restricted Area is decent.

Bladen

Liturgist
Bah, decent action RPG's are great. As long as the fighting is smooth and enjoyable, something like LotR RotK with a more traditional RPG storyline and world (i.e not map - levels) would become an instant favorite of mine, I would think.

Some console RPG's are pretty good too.

I don't understand why so many people love D&D but hate FF (and vive versa) as well as PC RPGS and console RPG's. A good RPG is a good RPG, I guess style is really important to some, well not to me.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Flame away, but GOD DAMNIT I want my Star Ocean III.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom