Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Lionheart professionally reviewed by GamersHell

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

Those zany pros over at <A href="http://www.gamershell.com/">GamersHell</a> have professionally written up their <a href="http://www.gamershell.com/reviews_LionheartReview.shtml">nine paragraph review</a> of <a href="http://www.reflexive.net/">Reflexive</a>'s latest release, <a href="http://lionheart.blackisle.com">Lionheart</a>. The game scores a <b>7.1</b> from the reviewer, mainly the score is so low because the graphics are 2D instead of 3D(Seriously), with a current average reader review score of <b>5.9</b>. Here's a clip of the conclusion:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Lionheart is a good RPG, there is no getting away from it. However it does let itself down in certain respects ? the multiplayer is fairly buggy, and the graphics are not going to force any kind of intergalactic harmony between us and those pesky Martians who show up outside my house now and then. The non-linear gameplay might prove to be a bonus for a lot of people. The plot is gripping ? if you get over the problems, then this really is a worthwhile title. If you aren't going to give it a chance, then don?t buy it.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Anyone want to bet he's not even half way through this game at the time he wrote this? He bitches about the combat, but doesn't mention there's only one decent town in the game, at the beginning, and the rest is a linear combat romp - which he mentions several times he's happy that Lionheart didn't do.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this on <a href="http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=27532">this thread</a> at the <A href="http://forums.interplay.com/">IPLY forums</a>.

Seven

Erudite
Inevitably gamers who get payed to play games slack off. Either that or he is that pesky martian. From what I've seen this site has a history of slacking off when it comes to their content credibility. :wink:

Psilon

Erudite
"If you aren't going to give it a chance, don't buy it."

My life now has meaning thanks to this profound statement. Think about it: If you're going to complain incessantly and give up early, you should--wait for this--not spend $50 on the game in question!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Ah yes. Not a day goes by without another inspirational piece courtesy of Gamer's Hell.

This thread is Linus Torvalds approved!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sharpei_Diem said:
Kudos Saint, I laughed my fucking ass off when I read your headline and intro...

Yeah, you know.. I wish I were professional enough to get away with condensing a review down to nine paragraphs instead of the unprofessional forty plus paragraphs I write in my reviews. Imagine how much less time it'd take me to write one if I were getting paid to do it!

Psilon said:
My life now has meaning thanks to this profound statement. Think about it: If you're going to complain incessantly and give up early, you should--wait for this--not spend $50 on the game in question!

I thought that was a rather ridiculous statement as well. I think coughing up the $50 should be enough of a chance that you'll be giving it. After all, the main reason you'd buy it in the first place is that you're interested in it enough to pay the price of admission, right?

triCritical

Erudite
I will bet money that they did not finish the game.

Oh, and maybe someone should point them to a dictionary since they do not know what the word innovative means. Perhaps if they had played any other RPG's that did not suck they would know that the innovative aim feature has been around for quite sometime.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
triCritical said:
Oh, and maybe someone should point them to a dictionary since they do not know what the word innovative means. Perhaps if they had played any other RPG's that did not suck they would know that the innovative aim feature has been around for quite sometime.

Yup, Fallout had it and Arcanum had it, just to sum up two big names for it.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
This is the e-mail, which I sent to Mr. Patterson in reply to the condescending remarks he made towards an IPLY forum visitor who criticized his review:

Hello Mr Patterson,

I doubt you know me so I?ll spare a few minutes of my time to introduce myself as Ian ?Exitium? Cheong, designer and staff writer at the RPG Codex, a website which your website (Gamer?s Hell) had a little contretemps not too long ago.

With that covered, let?s move on to the topic of proof-reading. In your e-mail towards one Interplay forum visitor concerning the subject of the Lionheart review on Gamer?s Hell, you claim to have, with two others, proof-read the article in question. I do not wish to dispute this allegation, as incredulous as it may seem to most people, because it appears to me that the review may have been worse than it was before your site decided to publish it based on the quality of the writing contained within your own e-mail, which is shall I say an atrocity of the English language, loved and cherished by many. It is a great injustice to see our language treated in such a way, to say the least.

I suggest for you to take measures to make amends to your butchering of the English language by perhaps learning it a little bit more beyond the 5th grade and receive some tertiary education before behaving so condescendingly towards those who criticize Gamer?s Hell.

Pertaining to your inquiry on which ?choice quotes that offended your taste-buds?, I would have to say ?all of it?. But if you insist on being specific, here are some of the actions which make up the crime (i.e. the article):

The game begins with lots of intentionally confusing dialogue and hints about what to do next.

How ironic that this review shares much in common with the aforementioned sentence.

Lionheart on the PC is a classic RPG from the same oven as Baldur's Gate and Diablo.

I wasn?t aware that Lionheart was released on any other platform other than the PC. The inclusion of ?on the PC? is a classic case of verbal redundancy.

Those are some pretty high-ranking titles in the old ?greatest games of all time? list that resides under the tattered copy of ?journalistic clichés for dummies? that I keep next to the PC, for moments like this when I get pulled out of my cave to review for you.

This sentence while not a complete crime is still rather annoying.

The important fact here is ? is it good?

Question is not equal to fact.

The non-linear gameplay might prove to be a bonus for a lot of people.

Could you please repeat that sentence, preferably if it was paraphrased and given proper clarification?

Whenever you die, you literally ?go to hell? and choose how to return ? straight back to earth with all your belonging, or load a saved game.

It should be clarified that this ?feature? only exists in the multiplayer portion of the game. Do not assume that the single player and multiplayer portions share the same features. But alas, you would have known this had you actually played the game.

Within the main plot proper, you get to travel all over the new earth...

This sentence is a crime unto itself.

I chose to have a ramble about and hopefully get some elite weapons before attempting any quests and thus went for a scout.

This is utter gibberish. Do you even care to read your material, or does it hurt you as much as it hurts everybody else? I?m quite certain that the other two who ?proof-read? your review simply dismissed it as yet another one of your dribbles and simply handed it over to you ?claiming- to have proof-read it. You see, not all of us are masochists.

This bring out an important feature of the game ? conversation. Thankfully, conversation is good to use within the game.

Well, if it?s important, it?s certainly going to be ?good to use?. This sentence is yet another case of redundancy.

This is important as how many game have we all played where the plot is revealed and missed by you, because you couldn?t be bothered waiting around for the NPC to get to the point?

Trying to understand this sentence hurts me almost as much as a kick to the face.

The open-ended nature of this is good. I?m all for having main plots and quests, but only having one goal gets tiresome very quickly ? here you get to choose what you do, which I feel is very important in an RPG, especially to give you that ?feel? for the world and your character.

It seems to me that if you did play this game, you did not progress far beyond the first two hours of play.

?Within the main plot proper??

Herein contains another redundancy.

I don?t really want to go into the main plot here, as it is for you to discover. I was pleasantly surprised by it ? finding myself immersed within the Lionheart world quickly.

This certainly seems like the scapegoat anyone would use if they didn?t play the game for more than 2 hours. I can?t believe people like you get paid to write this sort of poorly researched material.

I think the greatest tribute to the immersiveness or the world is that I stayed up till 4am on the day I received my copy from Gamer's Hell.

I do suppose that this can be construed as the truth if you had only started playing the game at 2 AM.

It does have an innovative ?aim? feature, where you can tell your character to go for specific body parts, which I found a small distraction.

I would not call borrowing a feature from a much older game (Fallout) to be an example of innovation.

In the game, even if you skip through the text, you get a thing called the ?Quest log?. It basically tells you what you have to do, and who you are looking for and so on.

?And so on?? Would you care to elaborate, or does writing tire you? You don?t seem to show much empathy for your readers by expecting them to discern what you are referring to when none of this is ever explained. Reviews are meant to explain, not confuse!

The game commences with a standard character generation sequence...

Pray tell, what is ?standard?? Please define the meaning of ?standard? in this context.

"Ahh, multiplayer ? the scourge of many an early riser. I played the game against a friend from the start "

Lionheart does not have a competitive multiplayer feature. It is strictly cooperative in that setting, so I do not understand how you could have played ?against? your friend? unless you used the wrong words to describe it, or simply forgot to play the game before you wrote this ?professional? review of yours which you so openly mock others for criticizing.

"pleasantly surprised by the quality of animation on the character models"

Are you perhaps in need of an optician or did your artistic taste suddenly take a dive after the last time you wrote an article?

Lionheart is a good RPG, there is no getting away from it.

I suppose that when one uses the CD as a coaster, the second portion of this sentence can be construed as ?true?.

The plot is gripping ? if you get over the problems, then this really is a worthwhile title.

That?s akin to saying that getting eaten by a shark could be a worthwhile experience, if you liked the taste of fish.

If you aren't going to give it a chance, then don?t buy it.

It?s hard to give something a chance when you have to dole out 50 quid for it in the first place, now isn?t it?

With regards,

Ian Miles Cheong

I. Miles Cheong (Exitium)

Site Designer / Staff Writer

www.rpgcodex.com - Putting the 'role' in RPG

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Exitium said:
I do not wish to dispute this allegation, as incredulous as it may seem to most people, because it appears to me that the review may have been worse
lol, way to show 'em, Rex. You are a scholar and a gentleman! :)

Professional reviewer who gets paid for his work said:
I chose to have a ramble about and hopefully get some elite weapons before attempting any quests and thus went for a scout.
This is priceless! It reminds me of one of the Simpsons episodes:

Editor: This is a joke, right? I mean this is the stupidest thing I've ever read!
Homer: What's wrong with it?
Editor: You keep using words like "Pasghetti" and "Momatoes" You make numerous threatening references to the UN and at the end you repeat the words "Screw Flanders" over and over again.
Homer: Oh, it's so hard to get to 500 words.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Matt Peterson, a case study in that large portion of the population that can't differentiate ass from elbow.

k thx bye.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
doubt you know me so I?ll spare a few minutes of my time to introduce myself as Ian ?Exitium? Cheong, designer and staff writer at the RPG Codex, a website which your website (Gamer?s Hell) had a little contretemps not too long ago.

It would have probably been more SITELY(yeah, pun!) to say you were with your Lionheart website, which I assume is fairly defunct now, isn't it?

The game begins with lots of intentionally confusing dialogue and hints about what to do next.

How ironic that this review shares much in common with the aforementioned sentence.

I think it would have been better to point out there's no elaboration on what he thinks is hard to understand and what confuses him. Hell, any twit at a keyboard can say, "The beginning is confusing." but that's hardly helpful to anyone.

Lionheart on the PC is a classic RPG from the same oven as Baldur's Gate and Diablo.

I wasn?t aware that Lionheart was released on any other platform other than the PC. The inclusion of ?on the PC? is a classic case of verbal redundancy.

I halfway wonder if that statement means he thinks BIS made Diablo.

The important fact here is ? is it good?

Question is not equal to fact.

Not to mention that "Is it good" will never be a fact since it's fairly subjective, especially if we follow the context of this being a game review. Obviously it's subjective because there's a great deal of people who totally fucking hate the game.

The non-linear gameplay might prove to be a bonus for a lot of people.

Could you please repeat that sentence, preferably if it was paraphrased and given proper clarification?

This is the statement that makes me question whether or not he's even finished the game. If he has, then he doesn't have a clue as to what non-linear means.

Whenever you die, you literally ?go to hell? and choose how to return ? straight back to earth with all your belonging, or load a saved game.

It should be clarified that this ?feature? only exists in the multiplayer portion of the game. Do not assume that the single player and multiplayer portions share the same features. But alas, you would have known this had you actually played the game.

Which also makes me think he just played multiplayer and wrote the review from that. If he'd played single player, he probably would have died at least once while playing and kinda noticed that feature isn't in single player.

Within the main plot proper, you get to travel all over the new earth...

This sentence is a crime unto itself.

Actually, it's a downright fallacy, since you only get to parade around Europe, really. South America is mentioned in the backstory, but you never get to go there. So, it's rather hard to claim you get to travel all over the new Earth, when you only get to play in a small part of it.

This is utter gibberish. Do you even care to read your material, or does it hurt you as much as it hurts everybody else? I?m quite certain that the other two who ?proof-read? your review simply dismissed it as yet another one of your dribbles and simply handed it over to you ?claiming- to have proof-read it. You see, not all of us are masochists.

I don't see a problem with this bit of prose. Care to explain what's wring with it? I mean, it's a run on sentence, but it's not a glaring English screw up. Hell, replace the first "and" with a comma, and it works fine.

This bring out an important feature of the game ? conversation. Thankfully, conversation is good to use within the game.

Well, if it?s important, it?s certainly going to be ?good to use?. This sentence is yet another case of redundancy.

Who gives a flip if it's redundant? The statement isn't true considering the vast majority of playtime is dungeon crawling. Dialogue is only useful in the beginning of the game and only a few times beyond that.

If you're going to criticise, it's probably better to point out inaccuracy rather than articulation.

This is important as how many game have we all played where the plot is revealed and missed by you, because you couldn?t be bothered waiting around for the NPC to get to the point?

Trying to understand this sentence hurts me almost as much as a kick to the face.

Yeah, this begs the question as to whether or not it was proof-read. I'm not even sure what the hell he's trying to say.

The open-ended nature of this is good. I?m all for having main plots and quests, but only having one goal gets tiresome very quickly ? here you get to choose what you do, which I feel is very important in an RPG, especially to give you that ?feel? for the world and your character.

It seems to me that if you did play this game, you did not progress far beyond the first two hours of play.

That's more like it, considering the only choices you get to make are really in Barcelona. After that, you're funnelled from dungeon to dungeon. Yippee!

I don?t really want to go into the main plot here, as it is for you to discover. I was pleasantly surprised by it ? finding myself immersed within the Lionheart world quickly.

This certainly seems like the scapegoat anyone would use if they didn?t play the game for more than 2 hours. I can?t believe people like you get paid to write this sort of poorly researched material.

He was too immersed to get out of Barcelona!

I think the greatest tribute to the immersiveness or the world is that I stayed up till 4am on the day I received my copy from Gamer's Hell.

I do suppose that this can be construed as the truth if you had only started playing the game at 2 AM.

It might have taken him until 2AM to find a person on GameSpy Arcade to play the multiplayer, with. Also, I'd like to point out the review was finished at 4:27AM that day, proof read twice by 4:32AM that day, and then later posted.

It does have an innovative ?aim? feature, where you can tell your character to go for specific body parts, which I found a small distraction.

I would not call borrowing a feature from a much older game (Fallout) to be an example of innovation.

Fallout, Fallout 2, and Arcanum. Arcanum's actually worked in real time, no less.

In the game, even if you skip through the text, you get a thing called the ?Quest log?. It basically tells you what you have to do, and who you are looking for and so on.

?And so on?? Would you care to elaborate, or does writing tire you? You don?t seem to show much empathy for your readers by expecting them to discern what you are referring to when none of this is ever explained. Reviews are meant to explain, not confuse!

And let's face it, just mentioning a RPG has a quest log is like mentioning a 3D RTS has camera control. It's a given. This is where elaboration is key! Why the fuck are you mentioning it has a standard feature? What's impressive enough about it that it's even mentioned?

The game commences with a standard character generation sequence...

Pray tell, what is ?standard?? Please define the meaning of ?standard? in this context.

Type a name, pick some stats, GET READY!

That's what he's saying. Of course, it might be useful to give a little more information.

"Ahh, multiplayer ? the scourge of many an early riser. I played the game against a friend from the start "

Lionheart does not have a competitive multiplayer feature. It is strictly cooperative in that setting, so I do not understand how you could have played ?against? your friend? unless you used the wrong words to describe it, or simply forgot to play the game before you wrote this ?professional? review of yours which you so openly mock others for criticizing.

You totally missed the admission, Exit. I played the game against a friend from the start. pretty much spells out this is how he played Lionheart. He fired it up, and went straight to multiplayer.

The plot is gripping ? if you get over the problems, then this really is a worthwhile title.

That?s akin to saying that getting eaten by a shark could be a worthwhile experience, if you liked the taste of fish.

I think it's important to note up until this point, he's said fuck all about the plot other than to say he won't say anything about it. About the only thing you can walk away from this review about the plot of it is that the review thinks it's gripping.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Got me there, Saint. The e-mail started off with me pointing out what a bad writer he was and it cascaded into more of a critique of his entire review. I should have probably attacked the points I mentioned earlier but forgot to update with proper critique.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom