Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Lionheart ho-hummed at Frictionless Insight

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

The guys over at <a href="http://www.frictionlessinsight.com/">Frictionless Insight</a> have done up <a href="http://www.frictionlessinsight.com/PC_Reviews/Lionheart/Lionheart.htm">their review</a> on <a href="http://lionheart.blackisle.com">Lionheart</a>, giving it a lackluster <b>3 stars out of 5</b>. Basically, the idea behind the thing is the first part is good, the rest of the game sucks. So basically, the part of the game with roleplaying - <i>YAY!</i> while the part of the game with all the action hacking and slashing - <i>YUCK!</i>
<br>
<br>
Here's a clip:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The skill system has some other problems than just specialization. Many of the thieving skills are made unnecessary by the quick-save function. With many chests, traps and even some encounters, you can keep reloading and retrying until you?ve picked the chest?s lock, found the trap or met a monster you can destroy. Money is plentiful, so diplomacy is the only non-combat skill that will serve a character especially well. Combat is real-time, and although it is pause-able, ranged magic and missile weapons aren?t nearly as entertaining as they are in a turn-based system. Enemies close so rapidly that using distance attacks is just an additional challenge. Worse yet, diplomacy becomes outmoded after the early part of the game.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Look! A review stating <i>turn based</i> would have been more fun!
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <A href="http://www.shacknews.com">ShackNews</a>.

Voss

Erudite
I'd like to see some hard numbers on Lionheart. Hopefully it will die a sad sad death, and make marketing and development people to rethink this whole real-time = more sales bullshit that certain companies are getting stuck on. Lionheart could end up being a sacrifice for the greater good. (which is the best it can hope for really.)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, you'd think that if Lionheart flopped after IWD2's floppage, Vivendi and Interplay would start to wonder what it was about both of them that bombed. One of the things they both share is that they're both real time combat games.

JanC

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Well, you'd think that if Lionheart flopped after IWD2's floppage, Vivendi and Interplay would start to wonder what it was about both of them that bombed. One of the things they both share is that they're both real time combat games.
Unfortunately most game companies are not expert at seeing what is blindingly obvious to the consumer. They are much more likely to conclude something like "Single player RPGs are out of fashion with the consumers - make more MMORPGs or FPSs"
Besides, I think it is the poor buzz about Lioheart's general quality that is generating poor sales, rather than its turn-based nature.
It is hard for game companies to accept that poor game quality is the reason for a game's bad sales. That would mean admitting a mistake, which is not easy for anyone. They prefer to blame market conditions and fickle consumer trends.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Does anyone know why Reflexive was chosen in the first place? Zax was, I gather, a fair game at best and Star Trek: Away Team disappointed me in the demo alone. Come to think of it ST:AT was a lot like LH - good premise (if you like Star Trek which I do) that they completely fucked.
So I am curious - their track record hardly impresses so why were they chosen?

Balthamael

Liturgist
Feargus said once that he and the founder of Reflexive were old friends. That may have played a part in this decision, though I of course am not aware of the details.

Kizmiaz

Novice
Balthamael said:
Feargus said once that he and the founder of Reflexive were old friends. That may have played a part in this decision, though I of course am not aware of the details.
"Nepotism" in the gaming industry? :shock: Where are we heading?
Sadly, I share JanC:s fears. MMORPGS (sigh)

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
Balthamael said:

If that is true that is just fucking sad.
"Dude I really need a gig"
"You are in luck - we have a great setting in mind that we want you to fubar"

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't think Feargus can bear much responsiblity on Lionheart. He was already leaving by the time they got to work. In any case, it isn't as if he called the shots on any of the projects they had going despite his status as "Line Producer". Vivendi Marketing calls the shots, and saw Reflexive hiring themselves out for low, low prices - with a couple of former Interplay employees at the helm!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
I don't think Feargus can bear much responsiblity on Lionheart. He was already leaving by the time they got to work. In any case, it isn't as if he called the shots on any of the projects they had going despite his status as "Line Producer". Vivendi Marketing calls the shots, and saw Reflexive hiring themselves out for low, low prices - with a couple of former Interplay employees at the helm!

Lionheart was in development over a year before Feargus left.

Seven

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:

Another thing which they share in common is that they suck shit. RT in itself is not bad, but as of late RT in RPGs has become synonomous with shit. Lionheart had a great premise, but that's about it that it had. Interface, implementation, combat, linearity and dialogue which wasn't overly effective. IWD2 was just crap. It was the worst RPG to come out of BIS ever (it was also fustratingly hard).

Rayt

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:

Come to think of it, both LH and IWD2 lack romance oppurtunities. :idea:

Anyway, BG1 & 2 and NWN all have realtime combat and they sold like crazy. I find it a bit odd why IWD2 didn't sell well, because as a role playing game it beats the pants of Bg1 and 2 and NWN. Character custimisation was a lot of fun and it looked and sounded pretty. All in all, it could have sold better than BG2. If it wasn't so boring, that is.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rayt said:
Come to think of it, both LH and IWD2 lack romance oppurtunities. :idea:

Which is a step in the right direction. If you want silly romance crap in a CRPG, I recommend getting a console. They all have that foolishness.

Anyway, BG1 & 2 and NWN all have realtime combat and they sold like crazy. I find it a bit odd why IWD2 didn't sell well, because as a role playing game it beats the pants of Bg1 and 2 and NWN. Character custimisation was a lot of fun and it looked and sounded pretty. All in all, it could have sold better than BG2. If it wasn't so boring, that is.

IWD2 didn't sell for the simple reason of Been there, done that. There wasn't much interest in playing the same old IE style game after playing four other titles that had at least one expansion pack each(except PS:T). There just wasn't much interest in playing it, which anyone could see judging by the comments on forums other than the BlackIsle forum.

Voss

Erudite
And many of the people that did buy it gave up half-way through, just from the tedium of the endless combat.

I like romances though- provided they're well done. If you have NPC interaction, this is a natural give humanities general obsession with the sex drive.

Rayt

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Which is a step in the right direction. If you want silly romance crap in a CRPG, I recommend getting a console. They all have that foolishness.

They also sell extremely well......Dun dun dun! Scary stuff.

IWD2 didn't sell for the simple reason of Been there, done that. There wasn't much interest in playing the same old IE style game after playing four other titles that had at least one expansion pack each(except PS:T). There just wasn't much interest in playing it, which anyone could see judging by the comments on forums other than the BlackIsle forum.

That's a good point...I hardly visit other fora. I can't make up any other reasons for IWD2's failing, other than maybe a lack of advertisement, so an overkill of IE products could well be the main reason for it's disappointing sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom