Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review C&VG reviews Lionheart

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

<a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com>Computer and Video Games</a> have <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/reviews/reviews_story.php(que)id=97846>reviewed</a> <a href=http://www.reflexive.com>Reflexive</a> and <a href=http://www.blackisle.com>Black Isle</a>'s April Fool's joke that got out of control, <a href=http://lionheart.blackisle.com>Lionheart</a>. They didn't like it either: <b>67 out of 100</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>In honesty, the Black Isle endorsement of Lionheart is probably the worst thing that could have happened to it as it's not nearly as deep or polished as the Black Isle classics. Despite this, it's still a fairly enjoyable game. If you can see past the dated presentation and the somewhat awkward and badly realised combat engine, you'll find Lionheart to be an undemanding and enjoyable experience. If, however, you insist on nothing but the best and you want another BGII or Planescape Torment, do yourself a favour and give this a miss.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I choose to get past the combat in Lionheart by not playing the damn thing at all.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Vault Dweller!</b>

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Some reviewer said:
With the likes of Morrowind taking the RPG genre to new highs, Lionhead just looks dated, basic and unappealing.
:)

As a "Downer" the reviewer mentions "No 'true' turn-based option". Why, there's not even a 'false' turn-based option in Lionhair!

EDIT: quote didn't work.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The reviewer probably thinks that real time + pause = turn based and is commenting on the fact that you can't queue orders up when paused.

Voss

Erudite
I wish people would stop referring to Morrowind as a height of RPGs. No real interaction, pointless story... No actual role playing as such.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Voss said:
I wish people would stop referring to Morrowind as a height of RPGs. No real interaction, pointless story... No actual role playing as such.

You have my complete and utter agreement there. Morrowind really pissed me off. As a friend of mine and I always say "Great graphics do not make a great game." Heck, even the graphics in that game weren't THAT great. The environments were nice, but the avatars were butt ugly. :shock:

I absolutely hated the demo for Lionheart and have no intention of getting or playing the full game. Not interested.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Morrowind is only really enjoyable until the fun of exploration gets annoying. At least, that was the case with me. Personally, I think Bethesda should have implimented trade routes to the game so that there would be more to do while exploring. They should have also never gone with that dialogue system, or the first person point of view because the combat sucks ass.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Bethesda should not have dumbed the game down. Daggerfall was a superior game in every gameplay aspect. I agree with you Saint, once you are done exploring, there is not much left to do: the combat sucks, guilds lead you nowhere, the character system doesn't support character development, looting is pointless, so all you can do is play the Barbie house - build your own place and decorate it. :roll:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:

You have my complete and utter agreement there. Morrowind really pissed me off. As a friend of mine and I always say "Great graphics do not make a great game." Heck, even the graphics in that game weren't THAT great. The environments were nice, but the avatars were butt ugly. :shock:[/quote]

A lot of the problems with Morrowind have been addresed by the community - such as the graphics and avatar issues. There's a compilation of new faces for the game which absolutely kick ass, as well as a high quality texture replacement still in the works. Unlike Bioware, Bethesda doesn't even try to take credit for their community and doesn't boast 'community made mods!' as one of their selling features. You have to respect them for that.

If there was anything, that I could change about Morrowind, it have to be the uninteractive dialogue. The combat doesn't bug me much because exploration is the heart of the game. I do agree though, that the game would be much, much better if the combat were similar to Jedi Academy's - that would absolutely rock.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Bethesda should not have dumbed the game down. Daggerfall was a superior game in every gameplay aspect. I agree with you Saint, once you are done exploring, there is not much left to do: the combat sucks, guilds lead you nowhere, the character system doesn't support character development, looting is pointless, so all you can do is play the Barbie house - build your own place and decorate it. :roll:

Woot! And here I thought I was the only nut case who felt Daggerfall was better than Morrowind. :P I still play that game to this day. It has never left my hard drive except when reformatting. I don't play it as much as I used to, but it fills in the gaps between games and helps when I am bored and don't know what to play. Fire up Daggerfall and take on a dungeon quest or two. Whee! :D

You made a good point, Saint, and I think trade routes or quests somewhere along that line would have kicked major butt and made the game a bit better. I didn't mind the first person view, but I did mind the combat. It definitely needed help in that area.

I understand what you are saying Exitium, and I do play Morrowind occasionally thanks to some of the player created mods out there, but it's sad that it took those mods to make the game somewhat bearable. I think Bethesda really screwed the pooch with the game, but they don't care. All they're listening to is the bazillion GOTY awards they got and the sounds of registers across the world ringing in the money for them. But that seems to be a trend lately: The dogs get the glory and the gods get shit on. Kinda sad really.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Jedi Academy has possibly the best melee combat that I've ever seen, being an improved version over its predecessor, Jedi Knight 2. Some might argue that BloodRayne and Oni had better combat moves but neither of them supported a multiplayer mode, nor did they have good level design.

Jedi Academy is a huge improvement over JK2 in every way - combat, story and the biggest gripe in JK2 was the lack of combat compared to the overabundance of horrible ventilators and maps comprised entirely of ventilators. Jedi Academy does not feature ventilators.

I'd say it's a pretty good game. But if you were to put it toe to toe with Call of Duty (which I've only played the demo of) and Max Payne 2, you'd probably find those two to be better games. All depends on how much you like swordfighting over John Woo style action or world war 2 + squad tactics.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Thanks, I will get it then. I was surprised to hear that it's an improvement over JK2, usually add-ons take "more of the same" route.

Spazmo

Erudite
Jedi Academy is pretty cool. Lots of very fun lightsaber action without JK2's shitty starting levels or wacky tobaccky plot.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Jedi Academy is pretty cool. Lots of very fun lightsaber action without JK2's shitty starting levels or wacky tobaccky plot.

LOL... you got that right. :P

Jedi Academy definitely took hold with me. One of the best combat engines I've seen. I think you'll like it. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom