Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divine Divinity 2 Divining

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Divinity 2

<a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=192049">Computer and Video Games have some screenshots</a> of Divine Divinity 2. Here's the text:
<br>
<blockquote>Larian Studios has confirmed to CVG that the sequel to Divine Divinity will be released on Xbox 360 and PC sometime in Q2 2009.
<br>
<br>
The game, entitled Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis, will continue the Divinity saga where the previous game left off.
<br>
<br>
Players will start off as a young Dragon Slayer who will ultimately become a Dragon Lord.
<br>
<br>
From what we've seen, an in-depth story will be complemented by a multi-faceted quest structure that offers a number of potential solutions to each mission.
<br>
<br>
So for example, in one village we visited our Dragon Slayer discovered that the local blacksmith was having an affair with a married woman.
<br>
<br>
When the woman asked us to take a letter to the smithy, we could do as she instructed, read it, take it to her husband, destroy it, or blackmail either of them.</blockquote>
<br>
You mean to say there are more options than telling them the same thing in three different ways? Watch and learn Bethesda. Watch and learn.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>

Saxon1974

Prophet
Hmm, I was dissapointed when I hear it wouldn't be another Isometic game.

The screen do look pretty good though, at least the backgrounds do and I agree the armor looks really super gay.

I wonder if the game mechanics will be the same? I hope they tone down the hack and slash a bit though.

Hopefully its an open world to explore, sounds like they are adding various solutions to quests so that is good.

cardtrick

Arbiter
DarkUnderlord said:
When the woman asked us to take a letter to the smithy, we could do as she instructed, read it, take it to her husband, destroy it, or blackmail either of them.
You mean to say there are more options than telling them the same thing in three different ways?

Good enough, but the really nice thing about that bit is the next line:

The decision had a number of consequences too. The blacksmith would raise or lower his prices based on the outcome, future quests would be opened or closed to us and we were promised that we'd encounter one or both of them later if they ended up leaving town.

The screenshots are remarkably nice -- this is the first time I've actually bothered to look at any for this game. They've done a very impressive job of staying faithful to the original game's art design while transitioning to 3D, and the result is quite pretty. On the other hand, the only dialog screenshot in the bunch is ominously awful:

screenshot_201899.jpg

Why are you doing here?

Er . . .

cardtrick

Arbiter
Here's hoping this is just a hacked up temporary English translation. DD's writing was actually pretty decent.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Prediction on which I'd consider betting money: the dialogue and translation will border on terrible. I'd love this to be the mainland European game to buck the trend, but highly doubt it.

Having said that, I don't recall it being awful in the original games. Maybe I was less picky then.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Divine Divinity had a horrible title, but the english in the game itself was more than adequate. DD was quite good, untill they ran out of time and just rushed out the last part of the game. Let's hope they'll take their time with this one.

Murk

Arcane
as long as it doesn't lose its charm and humor, and its living world, i'm more than happy with the game

Saxon1974

Prophet
Mikayel said:
as long as it doesn't lose its charm and humor, and its living world, i'm more than happy with the game

That is a tall task. Seems like most living worlds are the 2D games. Seems like most of the 3D games seems static and cold, but I hope this turns out well.

Funny, I was just playing Divine Divinity right now and I saw this topic. It does appear that the worlds look and feel is similar to the 2D world translated to the 3D look, so lets hope the feeling and interactivity of the world stays the same as well.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'm kinda surprised the armor in that screenshot doesn't show any cleavage.. Apart from that things sound good, I hope that blacksmith quest is representative of the interactions in the game.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I'd like to see some interface screens before I form a judgement. Right now it looks like Oblivion made by someone with a much less retarded art style.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It reminds me more of the witcher. Looks quite allright really. I just hope they retained the feel of a living world and that they spend some more time on animations than our beloved bethesda.

Burning Bridges

Well it does take the good things from Witcher like colors / textures. They certainly have invested a lot into their new engine, I must say it is impressive. Now if there just wasnt the faggotry and sucky dialog, I would be excited. And let's not forget it's officially a "NexGen" and XBox title.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Nextgen is just the marketing department throwing around a few buzzwords to explain their existence. I've got some hope for this one based on the screens and what they did with DD1. We'll see though.

Burning Bridges

Ok DD seems to have been pretty decent, though I didnt play it very long. But there are already indications in the screen that make me worried, like that giant red arrow.

Troll

Scholar
thesheeep said:
What is out of place in this picture?

screenshot_201900.jpg

well except for the arrow everything looks normal... 2 guys fighting while a 3rd turns in horror after noticing the one with the hammer is going to have a really nasty accident... come on... raising a 200 kilo hammer over your head is really asking for it

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
cardtrick said:
On the other hand, the only dialog screenshot in the bunch is ominously awful...
Here is a better one:

ddivinityat9.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom