Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher is Fully Enhanced

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Witcher, The

<b><a href="http://www.thewitcher.com/">The Witcher: Enhanced Edition</a></b> has <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?show=828">shipped out</a> to stores in North America and is now ready for downloading on <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/app/20900/">Steam</a> and <a href="https://store.stardock.com/application.aspx?id=twee&theme=impulse">Impulse</a>.
<br>
<blockquote>Technical enhancements include faster loading times with improved combat responsiveness and precision. The enhanced version will feature two new adventures in the world of The Witcher offering hours of new content, as well as more than 200 new animation sequences, greater NPC (non-playable character) variety, an easier-to-use inventory and much more. Moreover, following feedback from fans, the English script has been re-worked, while extensive amounts of the voice-over has been re-recorded for the English and German versions -- all to deliver an even more immersive and involving story experience. All of the enhancements will be available as a free download to existing game owners via the game’s official website, www.thewitcher.com.</blockquote>
<br>
Eurogamer didn't waste any time getting their <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=239964&page=1">review</a> up, scoring it 8/10. Here's a bit about the new adventures:
<br>
<blockquote>The most interesting element for Witcher veterans are the two new missions. The Price of Neutrality is set in a new location near the Witcher's castle, and is - as the title suggests - set around one of those hard decisions the game tends to throw at you. Where it differs is, due to its closed structure, is that the fallout from the call is thrown at you, so you know how it all turns out.
<br>
<br>
The second mission isn't as emotional, but perhaps a little more replayable - it's the simple task of trying to gain 2000 gold in a city to pay off a friend's debts. While constrained and re-using locations from the original game, it's actually a neat slice of the Witcher's world with some open-ended adventuring and coin-gaining - I played to completion without actually using some of the options for getting cash. They also show the potential in the game's toolkit to make further adventures in the game world, even if you have a limited lead - though it's likely to be a long time before the community realises something of a similar quality.</blockquote>

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Dagnabbit, baby arm stole the news item I've been waiting for.

suggested retail price of $39.99.
If you bought the original version of The Witcher and registered it at thewitcher.com, you’ll be able to download all of the great content from the Enhanced Edition for free
Pop quiz: How many people <s>signed up for spam from the marketing department</s> registered their game? Because I didn't. I never have and have no intention of starting to register my games.

$65.00 AUD is the price for the Enhanced for me. That's a lot more than the "$20.00 Euros" they were flapping about. New games are usually $80.00 - $90.00.

Eurogamer said:
The results are not exactly overwhelming. The character animations are far better, but it's a case them now being acceptable rather than impressive.
This September: The <s>Best</s> Mediocre Reaches <s>Perfection</s> Acceptable.

Eurogamer said:
Not a cloth map.
:(

Eurogamer said:
Where it differs is, due to its closed structure, is that the fallout from the call is thrown at you, so you know how it all turns out.
New quest with no choice and consequence + New quest where you grind for gold. Yippee! I'm glad they did it all for free! Oh wai...

Eurogamer said:
I also believe the developers' continued support for the game and commitment to expensive improvements should be applauded.
So, dibs on the Enhanced Enhanced Edition? I wonder if that will be "free" too.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm not going to comment on DU's post since the guy just can't wait to start a 'discussion' and throw shit at people who like the game.

Jaime Lannister said:
Grinding for gold?

INNOVATIVE (MMO)RPG MECHANICS!!!!

As a fan of Sapkowski's work I believe this kind of quest is perfectly acceptable given The Witcher's world. And I'm pretty sure it won't be as shallow as you're trying to depict it. Witcher's job is to kill monsters for gold, sure, but in the books, as well as in the game his contracts often turned out to be more complicated than that (vide the werewolf or House of the Night quests).

yarpen

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
Pop quiz: How many people <s>signed up for spam from the marketing department</s> registered their game? Because I didn't. I never have and have no intention of starting to register my games.
AFAIK around 500k.

Monolith

Prophet
DarkUnderlord said:
If you bought the original version of The Witcher and registered it at thewitcher.com, you’ll be able to download all of the great content from the Enhanced Edition for free
I signed up about half a year ago and I've yet to get any spam.

Now, to get this straight, I'm fed up with that "perfect RPG" bullshit myself. But I can easily ignore it taking into account that:
- some if not all of the additional content and changes are self-financed [I need to get my facts straight here 'cause I'm not sure if it's really all or just part of it, will do so anytime soon. Anyway, e. g. the German VO was self-financed, that much I do know]
- the EE has all the additions the collectors edition had (except the art book, but that wouldn't fit into the box so it's understandable in my book) - plus further goodies
- they put all the VOs and subs on that disc - you can change both on the fly when playing
- you get all the technical changes, the d'jinn constuction kit and two adventures
- they had to put up with a lot of bullshit from publishers to pull off that deal on their terms (e. g. no publisher wanted to put all VOs in, claiming it's nonsense)

Tell me now, why the hell should the EE cost LESS than the original, containing more than the Collectors Edition ever had? Plus, if you own the original, you get all the additions and changes for free - as well as all the goodies, like the soundtrack and the shortstory from Sapkowski. All you have to do is provide evidence that you actually own the game and didn't torrent it. Sounds fair to me.

DraQ

Arcane
Monolith said:
Tell me now, why the hell should the EE cost LESS than the original, containing more than the Collectors Edition ever had? Plus, if you own the original, you get all the additions and changes for free - as well as all the goodies, like the soundtrack and the shortstory from Sapkowski. All you have to do is provide evidence that you actually own the game and didn't torrent it. Sounds fair to me.
This.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
yarpen said:
DarkUnderlord said:
AFAIK around 500k.
DU's Battleship is going for the bottom.

made

Arcane
Having to register a game as proof that he didn't torrent it in order to receive a major free update is a slap in DU's face!

barker_s said:
I'm not going to comment on DU's post since the guy just can't wait to start a 'discussion' and throw shit at people who like the game.

Jaime Lannister said:
Grinding for gold?

INNOVATIVE (MMO)RPG MECHANICS!!!!

As a fan of Sapkowski's work I believe this kind of quest is perfectly acceptable given The Witcher's world. And I'm pretty sure it won't be as shallow as you're trying to depict it. Witcher's job is to kill monsters for gold, sure, but in the books, as well as in the game his contracts often turned out to be more complicated than that (vide the werewolf or House of the Night quests).

I have to say, I think that kind of quest in a single player rpg can be quite promising. The problem with mmorpg grinding is its never-ending repetiveness. When you first save for a good item it is fun, but as soon as you get the item it is outdated and you're on to the next grind and the next one. What's more mmorpg grinding usually involves mindlessly killing respawning mobs for drop-loot. In a single player rpg there can be far mroe fun ways of doing it - it can be a moving point for the player to then go into interesting quests, allowing the player to choose which quests to do in order to get the gold.

BG2 in my opinion did it brilliantly. The 'get x gold' was one of the funnest parts of the game. Absolutely no grind to it, just a good incentive to get out and explore the world and do quests, most of which involved doing interesting work for factions rather than the mmorpg mob-grinding.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
IP tracing is fun!

Morgoth said:
The Witcher was an awesome game, even though I never played it beyond Chapter3.
Only in Austria would "I didn't care enough to finish it" equate to awesome.

barker_s said:

DraQ said:
Ok people, 'fess up - who of you hurt DU's anus?
CD Projekt. DU doesn't expect to have to pay for patches and then be told it's a good thing by an army of fanbois. If Bethesda pulled anything like this type of shit, you'd all be up in arms.

Instead, one man stands alone, a True Patriot™ against an army of Polish fanboi's who relish a mediocre title simply because it doesn't suck as much Oblivion and it was made by their home country. :salute:

Oh and location: Poland.

Monolith said:
- some if not all of the additional content and changes are self-financed [I need to get my facts straight here 'cause I'm not sure if it's really all or just part of it, will do so anytime soon. Anyway, e. g. the German VO was self-financed, that much I do know]
If by "self-financed" you mean "they're re-couping their costs by selling the Game of the Year Edition" then I'd agree with you. If this was self-financed and really for free, then why can't everyone who's bought The Witcher simply download the EE changes as a patch? Why did you have to register before the EE was released?

Monolith said:
- the EE has all the additions the collectors edition had (except the art book, but that wouldn't fit into the box so it's understandable in my book) - plus further goodies
So if you bought the Collector's Edition, you can now buy another Collector's Edition for less than what you originally paid. The more astute (and less Polish) amongst you will note that that's not "free". Feeling ripped off much?

Monolith said:
they put all the VOs and subs on that disc - you can change both on the fly when playing
That's definitely one reason why I like to spend more money on a game I've already bought.

Monolith said:
you get all the technical changes
You mean the patches? Awesome. I'm glad the latest release comes with all the patches.

Monolith said:
the d'jinn constuction kit and two adventures
I'm still waiting on a non-Polish fanboy to provide a review on the actual content of those developer made mods and the construction kit's already been released.

Monolith said:
they had to put up with a lot of bullshit from publishers to pull off that deal on their terms (e. g. no publisher wanted to put all VOs in, claiming it's nonsense)
What? Somebody had to put up with bullshit from evil publishers? Evil publishers who are responsible for the bad translation in the first place? That's terrible. I'm appalled that developers have to put up with people like Evil Publishers™. It's always those Evil Publishers™ that are responsible for making sub-par games that need giant patches.

Monolith said:
Tell me now, why the hell should the EE cost LESS than the original, containing more than the Collectors Edition ever had?
They're re-releasing the same game with a patch and you guys are praising them for it as if no-one else has ever released a Game of the Year Edition before. What gives? Oh right, you're all Polish.

Monolith said:
Plus, if you own the original, you get all the additions and changes for free
Only if you signed up to their marketing department before the EE was released.

Monolith said:
- as well as all the goodies, like the soundtrack and the shortstory from Sapkowski. All you have to do is provide evidence that you actually own the game and didn't torrent it. Sounds fair to me.
Speaking of which, I bought The Witcher but can't get the free goodies because I didn't register. Guess where I can go to get all the Enhanced stuff for free without getting that ripped off feeling? It's okay, CD Projekt are totally awesome and they'd want me to do that.

By the way, location: Poland.

So is there anyone who's not from Poland around here that's actually singing the praises of this new patch and has finished the game?

made said:
Having to register a game as proof that he didn't torrent it in order to receive a major free update is a slap in DU's face!
Finding out I needed to register the game in order to "reduce load times" for a game that had such long load times I thought "fuck it, I'll play it later when they patch them" is a slap in DU's face.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
@ Azrael:

Yeah, I also thought of BG2 when I learned about this new adventure. And, as you said, it is pretty neat concept. You need money and it's up to you how you earn it. Sounds like a promise of some replayability.

@ DU:

You had to trace my IP to find out I'm form Poland? My, you're really a mastermind, aren't you :roll: . And yes, your conspiracy theories are all right, we're mindless drones bribed by CD Projekt to like mediocre games. I applaud your cunning.

It's been said million times and I'll say it once more - you're just butthurt over that first newspost which started this whole shitstorm, and now you're bitching about a good game in attempt to make yourself look less retarded.

By the way, your arguments are getting more retarded too. "Waah, I have to register in order to download the EE, I don't wanna!".

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
The level of Butthurt is reaching critical mass.

Black_Willow

Arcane
DarkUnderlord is:
Polish_eagle_and_Soviet_soldier.JPG

Thank you comrade!

made

Arcane
The reason you mostly see Poles defending the game is that their localization didn't suck as opposed to the English one. Had I only played the butchered English or, God beware, German translation, I probably wouldn't be nearly as inclined to gloss over the game's shortcomings. Same goes for any other RPG in history, btw.

Anyway, commence crusade!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Collecting money as a stage of the main quest is just lazy. And that bastard will some day coo his last coo.

But when is the console port of TW coming out? I ain't going to upgrade my PC if there aren't new good games on the horizon.

dragonfk

Erudite
We have our own Jack Thompson on the codex fighting for the greater good; guys meet DU.

For all those IP hunters here is some info.
Further info: I havent even played the game.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Come to think of it, DU...

The only people who love Witcher so much are the Polish zealots. Ever. I have literally heard many copy-paste opinions on the internet that basically go "The Witcher is the greatest RPG ever made and I am not biased because I am Polish."

And nobody ever really specified what exactly it is that they like about the Witcher. They just say that it's a good game.

And when they DO mention anything about it, they mention the BAD stuff, and say the game is good DESPITE it.

DraQ

Arcane
made said:
The reason you mostly see Poles defending the game is that their localization didn't suck as opposed to the English one.
We also tend to be familiar with game's setting and characters.

CDP-RED people knew what they were doing when they chose familiar cast, and familiar protagonist, but gave him amnesia. It allowed them to both keep their cookie and eat it, not once, but twice.

First, it allowed them to attract Polish audiences without alienating the foreign ones.
Second, it allowed them to use well defined character while giving players enough wriggle room to make C&C major element of the game (using another character wouldn't cut it, as Geralt with his tendency of getting himself involved in morally ambiguous mess is somewhat unique among the witchers, another character with this tendency would most likely feel like a cheap copy).

blup

Novice
I'll give free registration for that.

I did it for you fuckers, and you don't even offer me an improved inventory.

Compared to the 10 dollars some other companies might try to squeeze out of you.

Seems worth it. :cool:

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Hey, mr. yarpen. I know it's not you job to support, but for fuck's sake. I sent request in support and they didn't answer, so if you would be kind to tell me what happened to my Witcher registration. Why my account says 'you didn't register any game'. I was going to buy EE even if I own nonenhanced edition already but now I won't. If request wouldn't be fullfilled from either support team or you I'll pirate game so many times that cdproject would be next company to cry piracy blown our sales. Just kidding.
Maybe you could send additional request or speed up things. Thank you.
Accont on witcher site is inwoker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom