Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate - Ten Years After

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Baldur's Gate; BioWare

<a href="http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/940/940545p1.html" target="blank">RPG Vault</a> gathered up a few BioWarians to reminisce on the 10 year anniversary of <b><a href="http://www.bioware.com/games/baldurs_gate/" target="blank">Baldur's Gate</a></b>
<br>
<blockquote>Imoen's popularity was a surprise, mostly because she didn't exist. What's that mean? Her character was a late addition to fill a non-psychotic-thief gap in the early levels. We had no recording budget left, so I assembled her lines by editing voice-over left from a scrapped demo. The original character was a guard named Pique. That's why she has no standalone confrontations / interactions with other party members, which makes her relationship to the player seem closer, and led to making her a half-sister in BG II. Make enough happen, and people see their own patterns. Blunt force content.</blockquote>
<br>
So all those Imoen romance mods were based on a lie? Thanks, BioWare, you just ruined Christmas.

Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
In an early playthrough, I swore Viconia's magic resistance blocked every beneficial spell I threw at her except healing from Ajantis.
They had a whole "forbidden attraction" thing going on, it was so obvious. But I knew the back end. Nothing.

*facepalm*

Lightknight

Liturgist
Imoen was popular?
In BG2, yes, sure.
But in BG1 she was just annoying
Isnt it backwards ? In BG1 you could kick her out and not care for the rest of the game, unlike BG2.

MetalCraze

Arcane
A late addition? Oh please - the whole storyline is a lame Gaider's copy of Star Wars Ep 4-6.

I mean the evil Sarevok wearing mask (starring Darth Wader) kills your mentor Gorion (starring Obi-Wan) and then you are being that some-village-guy (starring Luke Skywalker) go on a journey in order to save the world and you also learn that OMG Imoen (starring Leia) is in fact your sister, you are a mighty half-god(Jedi) and of course the talent of Bioware does not end there - it ends with "Luke I'm your brother" (instead of father because we are oh so original)

Turok

Erudite
skyway said:
A late addition? Oh please - the whole storyline is a lame Gaider's copy of Star Wars Ep 4-6.

I mean the evil Sarevok wearing mask (starring Darth Wader) kills your mentor Gorion (starring Obi-Wan) and then you are being that some-village-guy (starring Luke Skywalker) go on a journey in order to save the world and you also learn that OMG Imoen (starring Leia) is in fact your sister, you are a mighty half-god(Jedi) and of course the talent of Bioware does not end there - it ends with "Luke I'm your brother" (instead of father because we are oh so original)

hahaha good description.

By the way i still got my golden pants :D

Cassidy

Arcane
There should be an evil CRPG based on Thay where you could sell NPCs into slavery, hire hitmen to murder people competing with you for power and alike. Between it and the entire Baldur's Gate series, I would rather it existed.

bat_boro

Arcane
Cassidy said:
There should be an evil CRPG based on Thay where you could sell NPCs into slavery, hire hitmen to murder people competing with you for power and alike. Between it and the entire Baldur's Gate series, I would rather it existed.

And enslave entire nations with necromancy!

bezimek

Scholar
skyway said:

Nice :twisted:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BG was a great game...10 years ago. LET IT DIE, CODEXERS!

Warden

Arbiter
skyway said:

He didn't work on BG1.
And in fact, I liked BG1. :)
That game is so cute.. the wandering... ohh I love it.

Gonchi

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014
skyway said:

So that means... Minsc and Boo are Han Solo and Chewy?

Shoelip

Arbiter
skyway said:

You're all buffle-headed.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
skyway said:

I once had the misfortune of reading Eragon, and it also had the same Star Wars plot. An ancient order of Jedis replaced with an ancient order of dragon riders. Mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi replaced by an old man who was once a dragon rider. They both also die. A former dragon rider Galbatorix is the main villain much the way a former Jedi Darth Vader is the main villain.

Atleast Eragon can be excused because it was LITERALLY written by a 15 year old. Bioware's games are written by grown men. :p

But seriously, I like George Lucas for his Indiana Jones movies and the old Star Wars flicks for their cheesy fun, but they seriously could not find something better to imitate?

laclongquan

Arcane
Thank god I never have the urge to read Eragon, even at its highest peak of buzz. The film just confirm my decision.

Volourn said:
BG was a great game...10 years ago. LET IT DIE, CODEXERS!

Heh! Dontcha know we Codexer are all necrophiliacs?! There's no such thing as DEAD final and irrevocable.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Funny thing, though:

I still have not played any of the BG games. At all. Ever.

Don't plan on it now, after seeing Lumpy's LP thread where he completely trashed it. I mean, Jesus, from what he showed, the game has absolutely pointless and easy filler combat and terrible writing. Really, NPCs which babble meaningless garbage on and on; they really thought that by increasing the quantity of writing, they provide good writing. You ask a guy for directions, and he digresses completely for no reason.

That, and 2006-2007-ish, I've been steadily and slowly and converted into an old school dungeon crawling wargamer, as I started playing RPGs from 80s and early 90s. And now, BG is too new age for my taste for me to bother trying it. I had once intended to find and play it, but as times passed and my taste changed, I doubt I'll enjoy it.

Murk

Arcane
get icewind dale instead if you're a dungeon crawler duder now. both 1 and 2 were great fun (judging from your av it looks like you've played at least 1). I loved the bg's but i'm not even going to bother trying to defend it to any of you rabid cunts

Smarts

Scholar
skyway said:

I thought the part where you recieved your father's sword was pretty hackneyed, and especially when having to rescue Imoen from that giant castle - done before, guys. Destroying Sarevok's giant dragon superweapon before it torched the resistance camp was one big case of been there, done that.

If, like me, you hallucinated these parts of the game, then thinking it's a copy of Star Wars is pretty justified.

Wyrmlord said:
That, and 2006-2007-ish, I've been steadily and slowly and converted into an old school dungeon crawling wargamer.

You kidding? Most of the game is fundamentally dungeon-crawling (even if some of the dungeons are in the open air).

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Wyrmlord said:
the game has absolutely pointless and easy filler combat and terrible writing. Really, NPCs which babble meaningless garbage on and on; they really thought that by increasing the quantity of writing, they provide good writing.

That certainly doesn't sound like BG. More SoZ/Obsidian-like.

Also lol at anyone who offers as an alternative to BG the Icewind dale series and tagging BG "dungeon crawler". Icewind Dale is for BG what commercials/trailers are to the main feature at the theater. And Icewind Dale 2 was simply horrible.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
you recieved your father's sword

You mean like that Sarevok's two-hander +2 that you get from the trapped djinn in the first dungeon of BG2?

Smarts said:
having to rescue Imoen from that giant castle

Because Spellhold never happened. No sir.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wyrmlord said:
Funny thing, though:

I still have not played any of the BG games. At all. Ever.

Don't plan on it now, after seeing Lumpy's LP thread where he completely trashed it. I mean, Jesus, from what he showed, the game has absolutely pointless and easy filler combat and terrible writing. Really, NPCs which babble meaningless garbage on and on; they really thought that by increasing the quantity of writing, they provide good writing. You ask a guy for directions, and he digresses completely for no reason.

That, and 2006-2007-ish, I've been steadily and slowly and converted into an old school dungeon crawling wargamer, as I started playing RPGs from 80s and early 90s. And now, BG is too new age for my taste for me to bother trying it. I had once intended to find and play it, but as times passed and my taste changed, I doubt I'll enjoy it.
I see Jasedizm in you.

aries202

Erudite
I like BG1, too - mostly because of the political plot and also because of the phase based combat.

David Gaider's involvement in Baldur's Gate began with his involvement in BG2. He did write the most interesting quests in BG2: Throne of Bhaal, the quests in Athkathla. Very good writing, I find.

The salient point here is, imo, that with very limited recording or no budget, you're forced to be creative and truly innovative. This later meant that people projected a half-sister to the PL.Char. into her which later spawned all these Imoen romance-mods.

I don't think these mods are based on a lie as it is the players themselves that have made up these mods...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom