Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We're launching the new RPG Codex games database

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: RPG Codex

Today at the RPG Codex, we unveil a big thing we've been working on for a few days now. We've built a great big database of CRPGs and the companies who make them. You'll notice that below the header of each newspost, there is now a "More information on..." link. This will take you to our database entry for that given game or company. We'd like to think we've compiled a pretty neat little database here, but it's never really complete. If you notice anything missing from an entry, feel free to PM Ausir or myself if you can suggest anything to put in there.
<br>
<br>
<a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/listgames.php>Our listing of games.</a>
<br>
<a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/listcompanies.php>Our listing of companies.</a>
<br>
<br>
So, there you have it. We have a new database. I guess we're real PROFESHUNAL now, eh?
<br>
<br>
Thanks to:
<br>
<b>Calis</b>, resident PHP wizard, for coding this and putting up with whiners like us demanding new features and cross-indexing and other such horrors all the time.
<br>
<br>
<b>Ausir</b> for displaying a disturbing devotion to the site by actually going through the entire news archive and linking each individual news post we've ever done to an appropriate company and game. He's also been hard at work digging up more logos than you can shake a stick at and, well, coming up with the whole thing.
<br>
<br>
<b>Vault Dweller</b> for helping to flesh out the database.
<br>
<br>
<b>Exitium</b>, thanked pre-emptively for those links to the database he hasn't put onto the site yet.
<br>
<br>
Thanks to me because I helped, too.
<br>
<br>
And thanks to <b>Saint_Proverbius</b> for looking tough and maintaining our "street cred" while the rest of us did the gruntwork.
<br>

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
A pity, that.

How did that module came to be, though? Was there a special reason as to why it was included with that special edition? Were they spotted by Bioware, or was it some sort of module contest which was they won and then allowed them to have their work shown off?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Are you planning to include older games too? You have the original Bard's Tale on your list, but no EoTBs, DMs or Bloodwych. Of course, there's mobygames for them, so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Ausir

Arcane
It was only in the Polish version of Special Edition, published by CD Projekt. BioWare is totally unaware of their existence, probably.

As for how it was made, probably when Sarmatia started developing Witcher with CD Projekt, CDP asked them to make a NWN module too.

Yes, we're definitely going to include older games. We added games covered by RPG Codex in news first,, but we're now adding some oldies too.

Kortalh

Liturgist
It would be nice to have a rating system involved as well... I realize it would take a lot of work to add in a visitor-rating system, but maybe just a simple "RPG Codex Staff" rating of games. It'd be nice to sort them by ranking, and find out if I'd missed a classic or something.

Anyway, just constructive criticism.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Kortalh said:
It would be nice to have a rating system involved as well... I realize it would take a lot of work to add in a visitor-rating system, but maybe just a simple "RPG Codex Staff" rating of games. It'd be nice to sort them by ranking, and find out if I'd missed a classic or something.
I disagree. A rating system like what? Any rating system is inherently flawed as you're taking a subject which is based entirely on personal opinion and saying "this is better than this". You then end up comparing a game released 5 years ago that maybe has full marks, to a game released today that might get full marks too. I don't think the comparison can be made.

If a game is good and liked by the staff, you should be able to tell by the articles and tone of the news that refer to that game.

Dan

Liturgist
I thought when you started writing reviews you decided to not rate games at the 'Codex?

Leaving the stars and points to other sites and concetrating on the actuall review?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom