Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Fallout 3's Silver Lining at RPG Watch

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Showing a complete lack of understanding what cutting edge game journalism is all about, RPG Watch has offered up only one <b><a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=103&page=1" target="blank">Fallout 3 review</a></b>. Michael "txa1265" J. Anderson had a number of criticisms. including the quote below about the ham-fisted way morality was handled, but ended the review with a 4 out of 5 score due to the game being "quite engaging and loads of fun to work through".
<br>
<blockquote>Apparently the game has decided that the Family are 'good guys' (or at least an oppressed minority) and that setting up a protection racket in the face of losing more townspeople is the moral high-ground. This is very similar to the decision that the ghouls are an oppressed minority and that not trusting them is racist despite the large number of fast-moving vicious ghouls you can encounter almost anywhere that look just like the well-mannered ones. It takes one-side of a complex issue and makes it 'right' and simplistically chooses all others as 'bad' and punishes you for choosing them. It just doesn't make any sense at all, and again comparing to the Troika games that are bouncing around inside my head now, feels like it was something written by my twelve year-old, who would say 'oh' as I pointed out all of the inconsistencies and necessary assumptions to make them even remotely work.</blockquote>

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Some punk at RPG Watch said:
They wrote like 5 positive reviews for Fallout 3.

edit: So, now that I've finished the review, I can say that it's much more critical than most of the Codex reviews :lol:
:codexdevil:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
Yes, much more critical than the Codex. :?

Because final scores define reviews

:roll:

Nice joining the ranks of short attention span kiddies there, DU

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Brother None said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Yes, much more critical than the Codex. :?

Because final scores define reviews

:roll:

Nice joining the ranks of short attention span kiddies there, DU

Must have been missing the days when he wasn't part of that crowd...

EDIT: Proofed by his trademark quoting habit in the Codex news section.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
But make no mistake - this is a deep, hardcore RPG.
(Emphasis belongs to the original author).

The question worth asking is not if it is an RPG but rather if it is a good RPG and if it will be enjoyable to fans of the originals.
So I haven't spent much time comparing this Fallout to the earlier games. Why? Because it just doesn't matter.
[Fallout 3 is] a really good game and certainly one of the better games I've played and one that I wholeheartedly recommend as a 'must buy' to all adult fans of RPG's and action / shooter games.
As compared to...

Chefe said:
But above all, it’s a post nuclear role playing game.

Elwro said:
I'm quite happy with the way the game turned out, taking into account my very low expectations.

Edward R Murrow said:
Or maybe you can look past the flaws and have a blast with it. I can't say I didn't enjoy parts of it, but I also can't say I wasn't almost always disappointed by Bethesda's general half-assedness. It's a mildly amusing timesink

Section8 said:
Fallout 3 shares the same metaphorical space as fast-food, bulk buys, movie marathons. If the only thing you care about is having a metric fuckton of something, then it's probably worth getting.
Like I said. Yes, much more critical than the Codex. :?

Sir_Brennus said:
Must have been missing the days when he wasn't part of that crowd...
I guess this is what happens when I assume people actually know what I'm talking about without having to point it all out.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
As compared to...

I wasn't commenting on a blow-by-blow comparison of this "oh noez who is the most critical onez?!" monkey pile, I was simply saying dismissing it on the basis of the final score as you did is stupid.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Alright!! DU versus BN!!! Let's get ready to rumbllllllllllllllllle!!!!!

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Brother None said:
I was simply saying dismissing it on the basis of the final score as you did is stupid.
Good thing I didn't dismiss the entire thing on the score then and in fact actually read it and came to the conclusion that it's not any more critical than the Codex ones because as he makes quite clear in his article, he enjoyed it an awful lot (despite criticising everything the Codex reviews criticised). Enough to say its one of "the better games he's played" (Wow. Such deep, harsh criticism), a "must buy" (Ouch. I bet that biting critique hurt Bethesda) and even going so far as "make no mistake - this is a deep, hardcore RPG" (Oh, your criticism burns. It burns! Make it stop!). That compares to 3 out 4 Codex articles that could barely even give it praise as "just a game". I thought his "4 out 5" (score lulz) summarised his position quite elogently, quoted as such and made the comment.

Like I said, yes, much more critical than the Codex. :?

And as I just said in the post earlier, I guess this is what happens when I assume people actually know what I'm talking about without having to point it all out. I had a reasonable assumption that the more educated here would go "You know, if I summarised the Codex reviews into a score, I don't think I'd get above a 1 or 2 on average". I'm sorry for thinking you might get that. Next time I'll be sure to quote the entire article and then make a one line comment, just so you're not confused.

My point, for the immensely dense: The article is not more critical than the Codex reviews. The reviewer in fact praises the game quite highly. Even more to the point, he in fact dismisses the criticisms he makes because it "just doesn't matter".

Shoelip

Arbiter
The two combatants circle, eying each other warily, each testing the other's resolve. Suddenly, Dark Underlord charges, putting Brother None of the defensive! He seems to have the advantage! Or does he? :shock:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
Yes, I basically hawked on the score and now I'm trying to cover my ass retroactively

Well, you should just have said so.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Brother None said:
DarkUnderlord said:
Yes, I basically hawked on the score and now I'm trying to cover my ass retroactively
Well, you should just have said so.
You don't think the score sums up everything about that review? "Guys dis gaem suks look at all dese problems... FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED BUY IT NOW".

Shoelip

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:
Brother None: Dodge vs DU's Uberrush (20 + 7) - critical success.

Hey, this is my game! GTFO!

Actually, go ahead, I'm tired of this game.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
You don't think the score sums up everything about that review?

Well ok to switch back to serious for a minute here, I thought both the conclusion and the review were odd considering some of the pretty important criticism he had in the main body text. Maybe he hates it but wants to love it? Maybe he likes it but doesn't know why? I agree it's an odd read, but at the same time the review is 75% criticising the game.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Brother None said:
DarkUnderlord said:
You don't think the score sums up everything about that review?
Well ok to switch back to serious for a minute here, I thought both the conclusion and the review were odd considering some of the pretty important criticism he had in the main body text. Maybe he hates it but wants to love it? Maybe he likes it but doesn't know why? I agree it's an odd read, but at the same time the review is 75% criticising the game.
What the hell kind of reply is that? Where are the insults, you cock-less guilt-ridden pimple-faced douchebag? :P

I agree with you though. I was reading it thinking "Woah" but then at the end it's like "Well, none of that matters...". Eh? On page one you call yourself "one of those" who demand good writing and a Fallout experience, then get to the writing part and sort of tear it apart before summing on page 5 saying it's all okay and who cares about Fallout anyway? It's like calling your girlfriend the ugliest whore you ever met, screaming that you hate her and that you never loved her but then turning around and asking her to marry you because she's beautiful.

Does. Not. Compute.

Actually, it's almost like one of those main-stream Fallout 3 reviews where the reviewer talks about how much of a fan he is and how he was all concerned Bethesda would ruin it and then turns around and goes "Oh boy is this game great".

Anyway, I don't think a review that criticises the points raised in the Codex reviews but then turns around and says it's all fine and these criticisms can be dismissed is "more critical" than the Codex reviews which says these points ruin the game completely. I thought it was actually a well-written review, he just seems disingenuous in his final summary because he contradicts most of what he said earlier (lessening the criticism if you will - "Do I believe the point you made earlier or am I ignoring it now?").

This review looks suspiciously like one of the mainstream 'what do we think now?' reviews that pop up a few months after the original review.

First review: 'Too busy wanking to write. Best game evar. Buy now oh its heavan'

Second 'what do we think now (after we read lots of people finding faults that we didn't put in because otherwise the advertisers won't pay, yet wish to keep a reading fanbase and look credible)': Well, there are all the faults. You know. The faults that we all saw, and some of them really make the game fairly meh. In fact it really isn't a great RPG, blah blah, mumble mumble, rip rip, but I don't care! This game is the best RPG evar, buy it now oh its heavan'

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
4/5 would be 80%.

When you look at ratings, it comes down to (more or less) this:

91 - 100%: world class
81 - 90%: over standard
71 - 80%: standard
xx - 70%: below standard
0 - xx-1%: ewwwww

In that range, 4/5 would mean something between "good standard" and "somehow over standard"...

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Wait, now we're arguing about whose reviews were the most critical?

:Decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom