Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2AP real time combat engine

Jason Liang

Arcane
I've been thinking about making an online rpg for many years and recently I've been inspired to actually work on it in earnest. I'm just going to put my ideas down here and if anyone wants to add anything feel free.

I figure the first system I need to nail down is the combat engine. The rpg has many different gameplay modes (dueling, adventuring, party vs party, large scale warfare, naval warfare) but I think they should be unified by a single combat engine so that needs to get done first.

My thoughts -

- since it is a multiplayer online rpg, it must be a realtime combat engine
- looking at the various examples of realtime action rpg combat (rt w/p, diablo clones, etc...) I think my favorite implementation is Shadow Over Mystara so that's my goal, a combat engine that will look and feel like Shadow Over Mystara - so like a scrolling fighting game
- but although the combat is realtime, I want it to have the elegance of a 2AP system like ToEE and Dragonfall
- so I want Shadows of Mystara but with a 2AP structure

So here's what I'm thinking about the implementation -
- each round has 2 AP. Actions are generally like in ToEE - 1 AP move, 1 AP attack, 2 AP full attack, 2 AP Spellcasting
- In Infinity Engine, each round is 6 seconds
- That works well for spellcasting (spells have ~ 5s animation) but it's too slow for melee attacks which is why Infinity Engine has junk animations, since someone swinging a sword is about 1-2 seconds
- so the first thing to decide is whether each round (2AP) is 4 seconds, 5 seconds or 6 seconds
- even more complicated, running the length of the screen should only take between 1-2 seconds so a full dash (2 AP) is realistically only a 1-2 second animation
- so have to figure out what is the correct compromise between full dash (2s), full attack (4s) and spellcasting (5-6s) all of which take 2AP

- let's say we use 1 round/ 4s for now
- break each AP into subunits. Let's call the subunits frames as that makes things easier
- Diablo 2 animations are 25 frames/ second
- So, 24 frames/ second * 4 seconds/ round * 2 round/ AP = 96 frames/ round or 48 frames/ AP
- So a typical attack is ~ 48 frames of time units, a full attack or spell ~ 96 frames, including recovery frames

- at the start of combat, each active combatant rolls a 1d6 initiative
- let's say there's a 1s or 24 frame buffer between rounds, 12 at the start and 12 at the end
- the initiative is then subtracted into the buffer of the first round
- for example, let's say that in the first round:
0-11 frames start buffer,
12-59 frames 1AP,
60-107 frames 2AP,
108-119 frames end buffer

- So an initative score of 1 (lowest) would start 1AP on frame 12, while an initiative roll of 6 (highest) would start 1AP on frame 7
- 1d6 initiative is rolled every round and added to the initiative score
- multiple actions occur if enough frames remain in the round to complete the next action, which then resets the initiative score to zero
- So for example, if someone has an initiative score of 13, starts 1 AP at frame 0, performs 2 35 frame attacks, then there is still 50 frames remaining so if their next buffered action is say a 45 frame attack the player would perform the 3rd attack as an extra action. Then the player's initiative score would reset to 0.

Gregz

Arcane
This is a mess, you should create a new thread (with a more informative title), then reserve a few comments below you, then build your design documentation using spoilered sections (preferably with an action flowchart instead of walls of text). Needs far better logical organization and readability. I don't see how you can captain a project of this kind of scope while being so sloppy.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Beta Build 1.0: Combat Classes

The first beta buld will be to test and develop the combat engine and combat gameplay and mechanics. It will feature 9 combat classes and one area, the Colosseum Quarter, where players can challenge each other to fights, and enter tournaments, and in a later build, train in martial classes.

Combat Classes
The game features four different types of character classes-
- training classes (advance using training points accrued while idle)
- economy classes (advance by accumulating wealth points)
- combat classes (advance by accruing experience points from combat)
- renown classes (advance by accruing renown from completing generic and class-specific quests)

Each class also belongs to one of the seven alignments:
- white / black
- might/ magic (aka martial/ arcane)
- west/ east
- gray (neutral)

Having character classes in one alignment forfeits being able to take classes from the opposing alignment

Beta 1.0 will only feature the combat classes. The nine combat classes that will be in 1.0 are-

Assassin
black alignment
concept-
Assassins use surprise to inflict devastating damage, defeating or disabling single opponents quickly. This is an all-offense class where the strategy is to defeat or disable the enemy before the enemy can retaliate
expertise- ambush, critical hits, precise strikes, traps, high initiative
other- ranged combat, sniping, dodging, escaping, free attacks

Barbarian
black alignment
concept-
barbarians gain and consume adrenaline more effectively than any other class. They resist disabling effects while inflicting damage that can cripple and disable their opponents. Defense focuses on agility, parrying, and just being tough son-of-a-bitch to kill. Think Ennis' Punisher.
expertise- two handed weapons, valor, fortitude, knockdown
other- archery, mobility, parrying, counterblows, disarming, dual wielding, escaping, free attacks

Champion
gray alignment
concept-
champions specialize in dueling, colosseum fighting. The class offers great flexibility in specializing the character's combat technique. Champions learn to fight unarmed and to disarm opponents as well. Whether your concept is a street fighter, a gladiator, a mortal kombat character, or an iaijutsu master, this is the class for it.
expertise - unarmed, weapon expertise, mobility, parry, counterblows, disarming
other - blocking, critical hits, fortitude, traps, ranged combat, free attacks

Knight

west alignment
concept-
knights protect themselves with armor and shield, and learn a variety of heavy weapons to defeat their opponent. Think Jorah or other knights from Game of Thrones, or a developed Darklands warriors. Knights excel both in duels and in melee. Knights also have a powerful charge attack, negating kiting tactics.
expertise- armor, blocking, swords, blunt weapons, full attacks, charge
other- mounted combat, polearms, critical hits

Mystic
magic alignment
concept-
mystics consume mana to increase their fighting abilities to superhuman levels. This combat class is suitable for warrior monks, clerics, shamanic warriors and magic knights
expertise- buffs, elemental damage effects like fire shield, magical defense like stoneskin
other- psionic/ telepathic fighting abilities, truesight, true strike, animal companions

Sorcerer
magic alignment
concept-
the classic combat mage. Protects himself with mana shields, and blasts his enemies with mana blasts. The corrolary to the barbarian, sorcerers gain and consume mana far more effectively than any other combat class
expertise- abjuration, evocation effects like lightning bolt and lightning strike
other- elemental damage, conjuration, summoning

Survivor
gray alignment
concept-
designed to be the default combat class for players who are not into combat. Focuses on escaping and preventing damage. Could also be a good combat class for mages and archers. Think Tika Waylan. This class has a lot of effective defense frontloaded to early levels. At later levels, Survivors' luck bleeds into bad luck for their enemies, causing critical failures.
expertise- escape, resisting effects, saves, magic resistance, mobility, luck
other- unarmed combat, ranged combat

Valkyrie
west alignment
concept-
Valkyries automatically heal completely at the start of combat, transform into divine warriors, and remain invulnerable for several rounds of combat. However, if the enemy is not defeated quickly, the Valkyrie transformation will run out and the character will lose most of their combat class abilities. Female only.
expertise- buffs, mystic damage, armor, valor
other- mounted combat, ranged combat, parrying, counterblows

Warrior
might alignment
concept-
the classic fighting class, warriors excel in every combat situation, but especially in melee, where they are superior to knights in defeating enemies quickly to even the numbers, and can become experts in a large variety of weapons and styles. Defense favors mobility and toughness.
expertise- dual wield, two handed weapons, weapon expertise, mobility, counterblows, free attacks
other- blocking, ambush, traps, valor, critical hits, resistance, toughness, parrying, luck

Combat Class advancement
level 1 - basic stance
level 2 - ability to switch postures
level 3 - class stance, ability score increase
level 4 - customize stances
level 5 - ability to multiclass combat classes
level 6 -
level 7 - bonus stance, ability score increase
level 8 -
level 9 - multiclass
etc...

stances/ postures and combat control will be explained in a later post

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
character system

Strength
- Smash -> attacks have a chance to break armor/ shields/ bones
- Armor (knight) -> ability to fight and move effective while wearing heavy armor
- Shield -> chance to block melee and ranged attacks using a shield
- Athletics
- Survival

Dexterity
- Riposte -> chance for free attack after a successful block, dodge or parry
- Dodge -> chance to dodge melee attacks, but costs balance
- Escape (survivor) -> used to avoid traps and cancel pins
- Stealth -> chance to avoid being seen or heard
- Tinker

Perception
- Avoid -> chance to avoid ranged attacks/ area damage
- Aim
- Parry -> chance to parry an attack with a weapon
- Spot -> chance to find stuff while exploring or looting
- Listen -> chance to detect hidden or invisible enemies, also to find clues in taverns
- Examine
- Sense

Charisma
- Lure
- Command
- Inspire
- Recruit -> Chance to receive Companion rewards
- Convince
- Disguise
- Etiquette
- Perform

Valor
- Engage
- Protect
- Initiative
- Discipline
- Conviction
- Intuition
- Invention

Intellect
- Battecraft
- Warcraft
- Spellcraft
- Recite
- Scribe
- Trap

Wisdom
- appraise
- calm
- heal
- lore
- nature lore

Last edited:

Mustawd

Aren’t you going to be opening a school to teach programming? If so, then I don’t see when you’d have the time to work on this. Or did you abandon that idea?

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Combat Classes
The game features four different types of character classes-
- training classes (advance using training points accrued while idle)
- economy classes (advance by accumulating wealth points)
- combat classes (advance by accruing experience points from combat)
- renown classes (advance by accruing renown from completing generic and class-specific quests)
I heard you like combat classes so i placed combat classes inside your combat classes so you can fight while you fight by accruing experience points from combat.

Jason Liang

Arcane
But who said that "Melee Attack" equals to "Exactly One Swing"?
It's really an issue of synching the animation with the actual combat resolution (unlike the fake attack animations used in Infinity Engine). Obviously it's pretty easy to delete frames to simulate faster attacks a la Diablo 2.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I meant, you can show a single melee attack as a series of swings and whatnot.
Yes, the two main issues are
1) finding a pace to combat that is "cinematic" (i.e. Obi Wan Kenobi vs Darth Vader or Quigonn vs. Darth Maul)
2) finding the right compromise between 1AP move vs. 1AP attack

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom