Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Arcanum modding scene lives!

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

No, not really, only <b>Chris Beddoes</b>. His new mod for Arcanum has called <a target=_blank href=http://www.terra-arcanum.com/~chris/>Car Arcanum</a> has been released:
<br>
<ul>
<br>
This mod is a successor to CBArcanum and not Hard Arcanum . The only features that were retained from Hard Arcanum are the perks the followers profession cheat and the new thieves quests. Car Arcanum also adds to CBarcanum a car , lots of new items , a more interesting and tricky combat environment and offers a dungeon master cheat dialog at the start of the game that allows you to completely customize combat difficulty and change the tech-magick-melee balance the way you like.</ul>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</A>

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
This mod is called Car Arcanum and can be downloaded here.Thismod Car Arcanum is a successor to CBArcanum and notHard Arcanum . The only features that were retained from Hard Arcanum are the perksthe followers professioncheat
and the new thieves quests. Car Arcanum also adds to CBarcanum acar,lots of new items , a more interesting and trickycombat environment and offers a dungeon master cheatdialogat the start of the game that allows you to completely customize combat difficulty and change the tech-magick-melee balance the way you like.

And it also adds some secondary social backgrounds like this (written by me)

{1246}{You've never been interested in men and have habitually sought...companionship in female arms. Although Arcanum is moving forwards socially, there remain conservative elements from which you decide to keep your... preference a secret. You've spent much of your life blending in with others and convincing them that you're perfectly normal, earning a 3/4 bonus to persuasion. However, you cannot fool everyone and people tend to frown at you. You suffer a significant negative reaction penalty in all the large cities of Arcanum except Tarant. If you are not otherwise talented you may even be attacked on sight.}

thanks to the nice people on the rpgcodex that proofread them (and corrected some expressions) here

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3023

You see !! No good deed goes unpunished MUAHAHAHA :twisted: :wink:

And no i did not include the "male happy " one because i deemed it kind of controversial even for adults

geminito

Liturgist
Good grief...

Although the real world is moving forwards socially, there remain bigots who think lesbians are cool and gay men are "controversial". Sorry, you're probably on 16 years old, but your statements are really pathetic.

I would like to support the Arcanum community since it's a fantastic game, but I sure won't be downloading your mod.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Re: Good grief...

geminito said:
Although the real world is moving forwards socially, there remain bigots who think lesbians are cool and gay men are "controversial". Sorry, you're probably on 16 years old, but your statements are really pathetic.

I would like to support the Arcanum community since it's a fantastic game, but I sure won't be downloading your mod.

You are definetly welcome to think whatever you like.

However it is you that used the words
geminito said:
lesbians are cool and gay men are "controversial".

I think that you are the bigot here . Morover you try to put words in my mouth that i never said.

Moreover you are actively trying to confuse the distinction between today modern world and trhe Victorian age. In the victorian age "women that prefered other women as sexual partners" my words and not the insulting word
geminito said:
that YOU geminito use did suffer discrimination from society and that is something that no roleplaying expirience should ignore.

My conclusion is that you geminito do not care about this because you are just a pathetic troll that found the opportunity to insult and waste others valuable time by trying to put yours discriminating and pathetic words
geminito said:
lesbians are cool and gay men are "controversial".
into my mouth.

Therefore kiddo in conclusion stop trolling here.

You really think that i did something offensive ?
Then debate what is it . Post a link . Prove you idiotic childish trollish accusations.But you have no proff because you are a nine years old 500 lbs ugly kiddo. Do you find this insulting ? I got as much proof of this as you got for your accusations *none*.But according to *your* rules it is ok to accuse someone without proof. Good for me fatty nine year old kiddo . Because that let me do the same TO you.

And i do except a public apology from you if you want to continue posting here without intense mocking for me for every post that you make.

So in conclusion kiddo . Either clean you act or run to your parents and cry because you will get flamed here.

Sol Invictus

Erudite

I must have totally missed out on that train. People today are as bigoted as they were a hundred years ago. They just conceal it better.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You know., as much as I loved Arcanum; I never once downloaded a mod for it... Weird..

That car looks pretty nice, Chris.

Anonymous

I like the little combat/balance sliders. Time to download.

Voss

Erudite
Exitium- not entirely true. You can actually find people that simply aren't bigoted. From time to time.
Of course, you might argue that they're bigotted against bigots, so its just a matter of transference.
:lol:

It seems a bit better to me. One of the first jobs I did when I worked in a museum several years ago involved preservation work on some WWII era newspapers. The tone and sheer level of undisguised hatred was actively disturbing. As was the realization that people at the time didn't think it to have any significance.

geminito

Liturgist
Maybe so, Exitium... in most places of the world.

But is it so hard to create a background with the same text, but with a few words swapped?

"{You've never been interested in women and have habitually sought...companionship in male arms...."

I just don't understand what went through the writer's mind that made that simple idea so difficult to carry out. "Even most adults" would be able to handle it, I think. But it's not important, someone can always add it themselves.
Different perspectives, values, fears, etc.

Just don't expect to be able to say judgemental things like that and get away with it. Just like I expected some sort of response to my post.

geminito

Liturgist
Actually, Chris, gay women do call themselves lesbians. It's not an insulting word.

A lot of people don't get the opportunity to actually meet a gay person, so they don't have the chance to discuss simple things like "What do you prefer to call yourself? What do you consider insulting?" and other questions like that. So I can't blame people for being confused. Yes, I'm gay. But there aren't many words that insult me any more. Maybe gay women in some cultures think that lesbian is a bad word, so that would be my ignorance.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
geminito I am not a native english speaker. Slight variations of the words that might make some phrases offensive or not offensive are out of my reach.That is why i have created the thread here for other people to proofread.

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3023

if you are serius things are easy.
This is the only same sex background that exists in the game . The other is not in.If you find it offensive in any way rewrite it and i will include it next patch with yours non offensive words

{7}{I am ehh more interested in my own sex instead of the other..}{}{1}{}{}{}

{1246}{You've never been interested in men and have habitually sought...companionship in female arms. Although Arcanum is moving forwards socially, there remain conservative elements from which you decide to keep your... preference a secret. You've spent much of your life blending in with others and convincing them that you're perfectly normal, earning a 3/4 bonus to persuasion. However, you cannot fool everyone and people tend to frown at you. You suffer a significant negative reaction penalty in all the large cities of Arcanum except Tarant. If you are not otherwise talented you may even be attacked on sight.}

And it is *NOT* cool that people that prefer the same sex are disciminated . It is not cool at all.

This is a roleplaying game however. If i as a male want to ROLEPLAY a female that prefers females then i should have the freedom to do so . If that means that my character in the game would suffer discrimination well that is roleplaying.

In the real world you propably CANNOT choose what you prefer.Love is blind.

But in a roleplaying enviroment you CAN definetly choose what you want to roleplay and you should suffer the consecounces of your choices whatever those are..

That is a big deifference.

geminito

Liturgist
I agree that the Arcanum game world should be hostile towards gay characters, probably like it would be in the 1800's. That's not what I reacted to.

Anyway, I'm aware that it's pretty easy to change the text of the background. But I still haven't finished Arcanum (I'm level 27 right now... no end in sight... this game goes on forever!) and think the game is quite challenging (compared to other easy *kotor* RPGs). I don't want to penalize myself when dealing with NPCs and trying to sell my loot! I still haven't been able to afford a small steam engine to build a mechanical spider... How do you make money in this game anyway???

Anyway, I think I'll go back to lurking in the shadows and keep my trap shut. Maybe.

foneco

Novice
Just want to add that i downloaded last Car arcanum version (platinium 1) and im really enjoying it:)

Murk

Arcane
Or is Prosper what would happen if Chris was exposed to nuclear radiation?

I also disapprove of chrisbeddoes background text, not because I think it's prejudiced but because two mid-sentence ellipses in a paragraph that short are two mid-sentence ellipses too many.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom