Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Hi-Res Arcanum Patch Released

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Drog Black Tooth has released his Hi-Res Arcanum Patch. <a href="http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=31632">You can read all about it here</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Arcanum High Resolution Patch is an extensive engine hack and probably the most complex mod I've done up to this point. It rewrites many subroutines to make the engine fully scalable to any resolution, and calculates positions of all elements of the interface (well over 1000 offsets) for the desired width and height by using formulas. Additionally, it adjusts sound positioning, fixes a number of UI bugs and disables sprite mirroring (if used without the UAP).
<br>
<br>
Features:
<br>
* Full support for any resolution.
<br>
* All elements of the interface perfectly centered.
<br>
* All elements of the interface remain their original size with no custom graphics in any resolution.
<br>
* Full compatibility with any mods that are based off the 1.0.7.4 version.
<br>
* Full compatibility with older save games.
<br>
* Improved Compact UI. Can now be accessed anytime by pressing F10.
<br>
* Optional larger dialog and logbook fonts.</blockquote>
<br>
<a href="http://drog.terra-arcanum.com/highres.html">Screenshots are over here</a>. You can download the patch <a href="http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/arcanum/highres/HighRes1.0.exe">from Terra-Arcanum here</a>.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Drog lied. The loading screen when you start up Arcanum isn't centered. I DECLARE THIS PATCH A FAILURE.

Carceri

Arcane
screen0001-1.jpg

Ugly. ...and this is the first time I entered the game without any load game. Also, the button for the spells display behaves strangely(it looks as if it is pressed when in fact it's not) and the compact UI has a will of it's own, it toggles itself when I close a chest.

themadhatter

Novice
Talby said:
Drog lied. The loading screen when you start up Arcanum isn't centered. I DECLARE THIS PATCH A FAILURE.
Visit the link, mate.

Known Issues:
Some multiplayer menus may not work correctly, as this is hard to test. Splash screens aren't centered horizontally yet as well.

Carceri said:
Ugly. ...and this is the first time I entered the game without any load game.
That particular issue is also addressed in the patch notes.

Main Menu:
The top and bottom in-game UI panels are now visible in the main menu, since the background is too small to cover them. Perhaps a black backdrop will be added in the future to hide them.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Carceri said:
Also, the button for the spells display behaves strangely(it looks as if it is pressed when in fact it's not) and the compact UI has a will of it's own, it toggles itself when I close a chest.
That's the original behavior.

Carceri

Arcane
Drog Black Tooth said:
Carceri said:
Also, the button for the spells display behaves strangely(it looks as if it is pressed when in fact it's not) and the compact UI has a will of it's own, it toggles itself when I close a chest.

I've just uninstalled the high-res patch and neither of those problems happen without it.

Palikka

Arcane
Stauff said:
What if my old trusty Arcanum disks are so much scratched that I have to resort to No-CD cracks? Will this patch work?

The UAP removes CD-Check.

and thanks Drog, o7

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I created an account on this forum just to say: THANK YOU DROG! You are awesome. :P

Nedrah

Erudite
toro said:
I created an account on this forum just to say: THANK YOU DROG! You are awesome. :P

Come for the patch, stay for the abuse.

Oh, yeah - thanks Drog.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Carceri said:
Drog Black Tooth said:
Carceri said:
I've just uninstalled the high-res patch and neither of those problems happen without it.
Hmm, yes, you are right, there's a tiny bug with the spells button, I'll fix this in the next version.

Not sure what's your problem with Compact UI, though. Can you explain it a bit more thoroughly? Compact UI automatically switches off when one of the middle screen menus is present (inventory, character editor, etc), and it turns back on when you close the said menu.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What he meant is that if you have the normal UI on and then open and close a chest (not sure if it happens in other occasions too) the Compact UI will be activated.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
FeelTheRads said:
What he meant is that if you have the normal UI on and then open and close a chest (not sure if it happens in other occasions too) the Compact UI will be activated.
That's impossible?

Compact UI turns on only when you press F10, or start the game with the '-fullscreen' switch (it enables Compact UI by default).

EDIT: Fixed the spells/skills buttons on the bottom panel. The menu doesn't disappear anymore if the button is still pressed. Thanks for reporting!

Relayer71

Liturgist
Nedrah said:
toro said:

Come for the patch, stay for the abuse.

Lol, nice.

Drog, you are a true hero.

Relayer71 <raises> mug to Drog.

Crolug

Liturgist
I experience noticeable slowdowns of the cursor (the game?) while any window is opened (inventory, map, character screen, save/load, etc.). Furthermore, while writing names of the saves the slowdown is even more noticeable because of the big input lag. Is it normal behaviour with this release or it's just me? (like Windows 7 issue perhaps?)

My config:
Windows 7, 4GB, Core2Duo 6600, 8800GTX, 1680x1050 plus all your additional content/patches.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Crolug said:
I experience noticeable slowdowns of the cursor (the game?) while any window is opened (inventory, map, character screen, save/load, etc.). Furthermore, while writing names of the saves the slowdown is even more noticeable because of the big input lag. Is it normal behaviour with this release or it's just me? (like Windows 7 issue perhaps?)

My config:
Windows 7, 4GB, Core2Duo 6600, 8800GTX, 1680x1050 plus all your additional content/patches.
It was reported at T-A that Arcanum indeed runs sluggishly on Windows 7. However, running the game with the '-doublebuffer' switch may help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom