Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review The Witcher - Sure is JRPG around here

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Witcher, The

Habitual pottymouth and occasional reviewer Andyman Messiah has <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=32893">lashed together a review</a> of <b>The Witcher: Extended Edition</b> and posted it on the forums.
<br>
<blockquote>So anyway, if we now throw “dark and mature” aside, what the fuck do we have left? “Well-written”. Yes, the story is well-written. If you know how to read fucking POLISH that is! Because holy hell, the official english translation is nothing more than a declaration of war! I know I'm not really one to talk, I'm probably up to my dick in typos and grammar shit right now but even before I found out the truth about this castrated english translation I sensed that there was something incredibly wrong with it. It's obvious that it had been cut down to pieces for some reason, most likely because – drum whirl, please – the translators did a really shitty job and you don't need to look further than DarkUnderlord's Year in Review article to see examples. This is not good work! If this was the best they could do they should not even have thought about releasing the game in english-speaking countries. Unless you know polish it's entirely out of the question to have any kind of a really intelligent experience with The Witcher, and I'm only basing this on things polish people in my vicinity have told me. If I knew how to read polish I might have found out that the polish text sucks equal amounts of ass but I doubt it and I do trust the polish men and women I keep hidden in my basement.</blockquote>

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Damn straight I posted it on the forums! And it's an officially seriously serious review too! That's official! Word!

Turok

Erudite
Funny review :D

And yes i think i can enjoy more the game if someone make a recompilation of all scenes and post it as a movie than kill kill kill get items click click click :D

4too

Arcane
Text Filler Preference

Text Filler Preference

Andy Messiah said:
... Alcohol helped write this ...
So in good 'spirits' may I tangentially commence ...

Have always found Polish web pages easy on my trifocal vision.

Have no clue, keine wort verstehen, und so weiter ... and the Deutsch stops here before I have a flash back to 70's school daze.
Early a.m. southern drawling choruses of ""Ic-k hab-a ein-er klein-er schnitzel."" ... und so weiter ...

Yah buddy, I be a true 'merkin, 'A' monotheist, mono linguist, mono cultural, ball cap wearing Devo-mongoloid.
Ready, willing, and able to fulfill my prime destiny, to party till I puke in this el grande consumer wonderland.

Well, for all the marketing operatives spidering through the Codex,
Polish script is a better text filler for 'selling' the peripheral ad space that encrusts every web page
then the opinion masquerading as fact that pretends to be the lure and hook, the curb appeal.
And with the impending product placement ratio of 10 to 1 looming on our lucrative event horizon, why complicate the story, ... with a story!

Polish?
Have no clue what's being written, so this mind's eye eases from the manic quest for intellectual dominion and Manifest Destiny.
With my ego detached, just a bundle of wants and needs, wouldn't it be easier to engineer my consent?

Why employ a snotty anglo yuppie blogging away in mindless psycho babble
when any legal paraphrasing of Polish text will do more with less 'Sturm und Drang'.

Vector that 'economy of *sale*' into another glorious accelerated rate of profit!
Pump up the pyramid with the divine state of 'irrational exuberance'!

So for a video game entertainment back story, or other random cobbling of factoids and regurgitated fables
that were NEVER meant to be comprehensible,
fill my half empty consciousness - half full with POLISH.

Polish - 3 fingers- straight up! Thrown down --neat-- no chasers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAomVYXQGb0

4too

Hory

Erudite
I wish 4too would stop posting at NMA and move here full-time.

Krokar

Scholar
Re: Text Filler Preference

4too said:

fallout3_head_explode.jpg

Curois

Novice
Yeah yeah, I have a couple of Polish friends as well, and they're so goddamn patriotic that they'd probably think a translated "Men's Toilet" sign would've lost it's poetic sub-content in the translation from Polish to English...

Sure some things are lost in translation, but the English dialogs in The Witcher EE (as opposed to the original) are not half bad, and most of them are pretty good and enjoyable.

This is one of those occassions where the reviewer is writing a bad review because his elitism gets in the way.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Curois said:
Yeah yeah, I have a couple of Polish friends as well, and they're so goddamn patriotic that they'd probably think a translated "Men's Toilet" sign would've lost it's poetic sub-content in the translation from Polish to English...

Sure some things are lost in translation, but the English dialogs in The Witcher EE (as opposed to the original) are not half bad, and most of them are pretty good and enjoyable.

This is one of those occassions where the reviewer is writing a bad review because his elitism gets in the way.
I AM SO ELITE YOU CAN PRACTICALLY SMELL IT!

DraQ

Arcane
Curois said:

So... A guy wearing a yarmulke walks into a middle-eastern mosque...

Korgan

Arbiter
Curois said:

Well, I really think that TW's English translation can never be as good as the Russian one. The game's just really Slavic, and Sapkowsky's books are a lot like toned up (VERY toned up) Russian fantasy. More or less natural to us.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except russian translation is a piece of shit too.
Or better to say - as usual.

I've played with polish VOs and russian text (because I couldn't bear the terrible crappy four (yes four, in fact one chick VO'd every female in the game) russian voice-actors who always try too hard to show emotions and that they care) and then I hear the guy talking for a good chunk of time and down there in subtitles I only see 3 words. Huh

Ausir

Arcane
I think all or at least most translations are based on the English version, not on the Polish original. Just like I've recently translated a German game from the English translaiton (although in this case the English version is actually better written than the original German).

Humanophage

Arcane
The Russian translation is based on the Polish original. At least, it was uncut from the beginning. I was playing the Polish version with Russian subtitles; sometimes they would just use the original Polish words that sound comprehensible, but do not actually exist in Russian.

Pseudofool

Scholar
The translation is "off" throughout; often awkward, ungrammatical and sometimes strange. But I wouldn't say that prevented me from enjoying the writing. While the execution wasn't there, the characters and culture of the Witcher was still conveyed in an immersive and complex way (and it wasn't the cut scenes or the kill mechanism that made it so). This review is another case of missing the forest for the trees.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Personally, I'd say this review is another case of burning down the forest in the interest of warming my cold feet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom