Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview 'We've Made It Feel Like A Very Strong Console Game'

Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

...Is what Bioware's Greg Zeschuk has to say about Dragon Age in <a href="http://www.gamerzines.com/downloads/magazines/P3Zine_29.pdf">an interview</a> with the online P3Zine. It's a PDF, so click at your own risk. Here's a snippet courtesy of (who else?) Gamebanshee:<blockquote><b>When it comes to RPGs, many console gamers are perhaps more familiar with the likes of Final Fantasy, Fable, and Mass Effect rather than teh more hardcore Dungeons & Dragons-esque roots of Dragon Age. Should those types of players still be excited for Dragon Age?</b>
<br>
<br>
Yeah, I think they should still be excited for Dragon Age, in a large part because it does actually add a lot to the genre. Many people that have played Mass Effect look at Dragon Age and go 'wow', you know, there's certainly some similarities, and the cinematic presentation - while different - is certainly reminiscent. Beyond that, there's an amazing story, and I think console players will find that the game feels very much like a console game. We've actually completely redone the interface from the ground-up on the console, so even though it started out at home on the PC, we've made it feel like a very strong console game.</blockquote>Maybe I'm missing something, but wasn't KOTOR a pretty big hit on the console front? And Dragon Age's control scheme and overall style of play seems quite reminiscent of both KOTORs. On a more positive note, Bioware is working on trying to make it so popular user-created modules will be able to be played by console players, which is certainly a good thing, if only because it might stymie DLC a slight bit. Then again, they'd probably end up charging for it, probably due to a mandate Microsoft has, and I think Sony has as well, regarding online marketplaces.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://gamebanshee.com/">Gamebanshee</A>

KKKthulhu.

Educated
dareage.jpg

FACT: Bioware is commonly associated with fatal overdose and is a highly addictive drug.

FACE: Bioware RPGs are associated with serious health conditions including HIV/AIDS and hepatitis, particularly in users who inject the drug.

FACT: Bioware is addictive. More teens are in treatment with a primary diagnosis of stupidity than for all other illicit drugs combined.

FACT: Bioware can cause increased heart rate and make some users extremely paranoid or dumbed down.

Don't give into peer pressure. Don't give into shitty RPGs. Just say NO!

Shannow

Waster of Time
*sigh*
They really don't want me to buy DA, do they? Ah well. I don't like modern "RPGs" anyway. Time to invest more interest in other genres. Are there any good modern tactics games? Preferably TB but I can deal with RT too.

KreideBein

Scholar
I like how the answer doesn't actually have anything to do with the question.

Also, has Bioware talked about whether the PC interface is going to take full advantage of the platform? I'd rather not repeat the Oblivion PC menu system mess.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Volourn said:
So much Butthurt in this thread. Sad really. :cry:
Poor Volly. Fill this out:
179257_butthurtreportform_1.jpg
Send it in. We'll file it as soon as possible and refer you to Jasede. He'll set you up with some lube. Everything will be better if you think positive.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Imbecile said:
I have no alts. Never have, never will. I take great pleasure in the FACT that the FACT meme is the new highlight of Codex decline. I'm also proud of "The Witcher :: Super-Mega Fucking Awesome Edition" which just so happens to be a variant of my SUPERMEGAMAXIMUMAWESOME-meme.

Life's good, man. :cool:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Volourn said:
So much Butthurt in this thread. Sad really. :cry:

Still don't know when to use the term, eh?

Let me give you hint: One is butthurt when someone makes fun of something one likes. So, in this case, you are the butthurt one, like in every topic about Bioware where you whine that not everybody loves "the doctors".

slipgate_angel

Scholar
KKKthulhu. said:
Don't give into peer pressure. Don't give into shitty RPGs. Just say NO!

Shannow said:
They really don't want me to buy DA, do they?

Volourn said:
So much Butthurt in this thread. Sad really.

WOW, I'm so glad to see people really excited about this new game. Okay seriously, from what I've read, Dragon Age doesn't sound bad, but then again, I've move on from the, "RPGs are bout teh choice, and statz" way of thinking long ago.

PS, I wonder if Dragon Age has Sandwich combat or not. :?

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Bioware Happy Happy! said:
consoleconsoleconsoleconsoleconsoleconsole

he said console six times in that short quote. i love that developers are nothing more than catering companies now.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll probably pirate it to chuckle at the awful dialogue and cheesy Lifetime channel approved romances. This thing is looking mighty pathetic, much like a no-legged dog. I don't think I can bring myself not to stare.

aries202

Erudite
Greg Zeschuk is obviously trying to sell DA: Origins to the PS3 gamers. His comments about the controls are meant to convince PS3 gamers (and possibly Xbox 360 gamers) that the game will play like a typical PS3 game - when it comes to the controls.

The story in the game on consoles is the same as the stiry is for the the PC game. And maybe you can just press A (or the action button) if you just want to shoot things, the other peole (=us) can delve deeper into the story.

I don't have any problems with this solution. Bioware needs to sell a lot of games, not at least to keep their (new) overlord (EA) happy...

Thrasher

Erudite
It's totally fucked now.

I'm putting it on my maybe buy in 10 years for $5 used list.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
You don't even need the PR bullshit to realize how much this game will suck, when you already have all the videos and previews out there. Also, no "maturity" buzzword? I guess maturity and console don't sound very well when put in the same sentence. They don't even know who they made this game for or why anymore.

KKKthulhu.

Educated
This is probably just a weird transition the industry is going through now. Pretty soon the divide between mindless gamey fun and a real challenging experience will be cemented, and these stupid hybrids won't exist.

Castanova

Prophet
Dude was just referring to the game's interface. That being said, this game looks worse and worse every time new material comes out on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom