Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info BRIIIIAAAAAAANS!

Tags: Brian Mitsoda; DoubleBear Productions

First off, yes, the title was intentional. Second off, <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=974.0">DoubleBear's secret project has been announced to be about zombies</a>. A zombie based RPG to be more specific.<blockquote>Was hoping to save this for a rainy day, but it is cloudy here in Seattle today, so here we go. As the speculators have correctly guessed, yes, DoubleBear’s first game is indeed a Zombie RPG, which we have fondly referred to as a ZRPG internally. Before people start running in all kinds of directions with that, here’s what I will confirm:
<br>
<br>
-Set during the breakdown of society as emergence of zombies causes widespread panic and disorder.
<br>
<br>
-Slow, shambling zombies. Spreads like a virus/bite transmission. No, you are not a zombie, that would be stupid.
<br>
<br>
-Serious examination of a national crisis or natural disaster. Humans and a lack of order are a bigger threat than the undead. Think Hurricane Katrina, Children of Men, Dawn of the Dead NOT Resident Evil, Return of the Living Dead, zombie shooter-type games.
<br>
<br>
-Game is about survival. Scavenging resources, exploring the area, dealing with other survivors, and managing a “shelter” of sorts are the main focus of the game. More on this later.
<br>
<br>
-Game is open-ended. There are characters and events that could happen, but the story depends on where you go, what you do, and who you meet. Of course, there’s a lot more to this and we'll go into more details as time goes on.</blockquote>Sounds pretty sweet. I'm looking forward to a more serious take on what is typically a campy as all hell (sub)genre as well as an RPG with a serious focus on survival. Hopefully a mix between Realms of Arkania and King of Dragon Pass...with a side of zombies.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php">Iron Tower Studio Forums</A>

Phelot

Arcane
I've been waiting for a serious business survival game for awhile now. I hope it includes the need to find food and water.

But zombies? I'm not a big zombie fan... even if there aren't a lot of zombie games out there, they still seem tired and played out.

Whatever, still sounds cool.

crazy_dave

Educated
Weee.. Great. I was thinking about how great would it be, IMHO, to mix survival horror game and CRPG. I hope you'll be able to organize some defense and build some temporary shelters against zombies just to survive the night. And that the game will be serious and scary without pop culture... :D

Punck_D

Novice
Edward_R_Murrow said:
-Game is about survival. Scavenging resources, exploring the area, dealing with other survivors, and managing a “shelter” of sorts are the main focus of the game.

THIS is just great.

Double Ogre

Scholar
I just don't get it how can you make a serious RPG centered around... a zombie apocalypse? Such a game will have to be combat-heavy and corny as hell. With most assuredly no long and interesting dialogs.

I just don't see a reason to be excited about this.

Turok

Erudite
What the hell, this is a brilliant idea, i hope they can make the atmosfere of this world.

Go Go Go i will be the first to buy it.

Turok

Erudite
OgreOgre said:
I just don't get it how can you make a serious RPG centered around... a zombie apocalypse? Such a game will have to be combat-heavy and corny as hell. With most assuredly no long and interesting dialogs.

Dialogs about people experience survival and desesperation dont get interest to you?

Are you a Zombie? :D

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
zombie based RPG

TBH bleh. The zombie apocalypse theme is so horrendously overused, it's a shame they're going for something like that.

But concept aside, I'll still be looking to it with anticipation.

wjw

Augur
OgreOgre said:
I just don't get it how can you make a serious RPG centered around... a zombie apocalypse?

... a game can't be serious cause it has a zombie apocalypse?

Such a game will have to be combat-heavy

Why? Hide and run might be much more effective. Zombies are slow. Unless you are immune, fighting zombies is stupid.

and corny as hell. With most assuredly no long and interesting dialogs.

It's Brian. From Bloodlines. Remember?

Well, i guess you have to stay true to the codex.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:
zombie based RPG

TBH bleh. The zombie apocalypse theme is so horrendously overused, it's a shame they're going for something like that.
Overused to hell with action games and movies. A hardcore RPG though, is something more unique and interesting for the setting.

MetalCraze

Arcane
This game could be good and I'll keep an eye on it for sure.
Now do a proper party TB combat.

wjw said:
and corny as hell. With most assuredly no long and interesting dialogs.

It's Brian. From Bloodlines. Remember?

And it's Annie. From SoZ. Remember?

In any case the dialogues shouldn't be the most important thing about this game - the actual gameplay should. Survival should be more than just running away from zombies or fighting them.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Fat Dragon said:
Darth Roxor said:
zombie based RPG

Overused to hell with action games and movies. A hardcore RPG though, is something more unique and interesting for the setting.

Agreed. Great news.

Plenty of people believe its impossible to make serious sci fi or fantasy, period. Why is it any less stupid to think a setting involving zombies and societal collapse cant be serious too?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
This game could be good and I'll keep an eye on it for sure.
Something big is about to happen. Implosion of the universe maybe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom