Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial How I rode a Samsung tablet PC to retro role-playing nirvana

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Planescape: Torment

What do you do with a $1,300 touchscreen tablet PC? Why, <a href="http://arstechnica.com/gaming/guides/2009/08/how-i-rode-a-samsung-tablet-pc-to-retro-rpg-nirvana.ars">you turn it into a retro-RPG gaming machine of course</a>. Courtesy of those Technical Aresholes:
<br>
<blockquote>Great art stands the test of time, and demands of us a commitment commensurate with its greatness... or, at least that's the kind of thing I only half-ironically told myself as I pulled the trigger on the purchase of an obsolete, slightly brickish, $1,300 tablet PC, which I bought to turn into a portable console for classic computer RPGs. I'm a sucker for old-school isometric RPG titles—Temple of Elemental Evil, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Planescape:Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Fallout 1 & 2—because they're true classics in every sense of the word, and when I began actively collecting used copies of them a little over a year ago, I wanted to make sure that I enjoyed them in style. After some long searching, I found that Samsung's overpriced "Origami" tablet PC is as close to the perfect platform for retro-RPGing as any I could imagine.
<br>
<br>
Now, you may be thinking I'm crazy, because on today's screens these games must look like dated, pixellated messes, so who in their right mind would spend the price of a nice Thinkpad just to be able to play one on a touchscreen tablet. Well, by the time you're done with this article, you'll either understand or you won't, and if you are going to understand then the screenshot below will get you over halfway there.</blockquote>
<br>
A few wide-screen mods and technical shenanigans later all result in RPG fun.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Occasionally Fatal</b>!

Amazingly useless. 7 hour battery life(at best) is not quite enough to finish any of these games(Maybe except Fallout if you really, really hurry up). Touchscreen is crap because every time you want to click your own sausage finger will block half of the goddamn screen. And finally, all places where you'd actually resort to a handheld are immersion-breaking as fuck and while it doesn't matter for abstract rule-only games like Tetris it would be a nightmare for an atmosphere-driven RPG.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Emotional Vampire said:
Amazingly useless. 7 hour battery life(at best) is not quite enough to finish any of these games(Maybe except Fallout if you really, really hurry up).
Do you have to finish any of these games under 7 hours? Just save the game, turn it off, and recharge the battery.

Emotional Vampire said:
Touchscreen is crap because every time you want to click your own sausage finger will block half of the goddamn screen.
Ever heard of a stylus?
wingstylus.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
That's insane and cool too, but I still think the price is too steep.

Trithne

Erudite
Netbook processors aren't as good as that's though, as he mentions in the article. And touchscreen support is a big thing in portable gaming. It makes everything so much more convenient to do.

Xi

Arcane
Trithne said:
Netbook processors aren't as good as that's though, as he mentions in the article. And touchscreen support is a big thing in portable gaming. It makes everything so much more convenient to do.

Doesn't matter. Netbooks have more than enough CPU power to play those old games and still get great battery life. The real difference is touchscreen mostly.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Remember when the DS was supposed to be a perfect place for stuff like this but nothing ever turned up? I'm still sour about it. Perhaps because I would buy them legit or something.

I would play that shit on iphone if I could but I owuld probably have to jailbrake.

1eyedking

Erudite
mondblut said:
8-10 years old games are "retro" now? Decline.
Thinking the same thing. How about some Wizardry? Some Goldbox love? Hell, even some EotB...

They're even 640x400 (16:10 widescreen) so all you need is a scalerXx filter. God, I feel old.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom