Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 10 RPGs you might have missed

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Baldur's Gate

<a href="http://elder-geek.com/2009/09/ten-rpgs-you-might-have-missed-but-are-still-worth-buying-and-playing/">Over at Elder Geek</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Few games give you more bang for your buck than role playing games. With so many big RPG titles on the verge of release like Demon’s Souls, Alpha Protocol and Dragon Age: Origins, I thought it would be a good idea to recommend some older titles to stretch your RPG muscles and maybe save a few bucks too. Here they are in no particular order: Ten RPGS That Are Still Worth Buying… And Playing.
<br>
<br>
Xenosaga: Der Wille zur Macht and Xenosaga III: Also Sprach Zarathustra - Playstation 2
<br>
Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate 2- PC
<br>
<blockquote>Booting up the game, players were greeted with a customizable character creation screen; one that not only let players choose what they looked like, but they could choose a voice and personality as well. I felt like Milhouse, when all I had done was entered my name. “Thrillho.”</blockquote>
<br>
Final Fantasy IX and Final Fantasy XII- Playstation and Playstation 2
<br>
Icewind Dale 1 and 2 – PC
<br>
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords – PC, Xbox
<br>
Wild Arms – Playstation</blockquote>
<br>
<em>Thrillho</em>.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a>
<br>

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
what the fuck

I knew coming into this topic that the suggested titles wouldn't really be very rare, often missed gems yet I figured they would be at least slightly obscure.

Korgan

Arbiter
All right, let's make a real Kodex list then (meaning no Bloodlines, Wizardry or other icons). I can name Soulbringer and Septerra Core off the top of my head.

spectre

Arcane
Meh, can't be arsed to even attempt to give a shit about a bunch of jrpgs.

Icewind Dale? K, I may understand this if you're both young and casual. Though I was hoping they'd at least mention some Realms of Arkania, or something indie, but wtf with Baldurs Gate 1 and 2? The way the thing was hyped back then there's no way a rpg player woulda miss it... unless, I get it, I'm now starting to be an old fart.

BTW, So is it now official, Kotor 2 is both oldschool and kinda obscure?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do these gaming news sites have a bet going to see who can come up with the shittiest list or something?

Thrillho = thrillhouse = /b/ meme =
4589_88704252077_33774087077_1971741_5148490_n.jpg
= what

Also, I've heard Xenosaga is just a long cutscene. If anything, I'd say Xenogears because I liked the on-foot combat, and it still has shitloads of Evangelion-worthy DEEPNESS

spectre said:
Icewind Dale? K, I may understand this if you're both young and casual. Though I was hoping they'd at least mention some Realms of Arkania, or something indie, but wtf with Baldurs Gate 1 and 2? The way the thing was hyped back then there's no way a rpg player woulda miss it... unless, I get it, I'm now starting to be an old fart.

Realms of Arkania is antediluvian by today's standards, don't ever expect to see it or similar games in any list

Emotional Vampire said:
DarkUnderlord said:
With so many big RPG titles on the verge of release like Demon’s Souls, Alpha Protocol and Dragon Age: Origins

Must... keep... straight... face...

these are big releases, yes

Zeus

Cipher
Wild Arms? Nooooo. I hated that game so much. The world, story and dungeons were actually more than okay -- scifi/western is always fun and the Zelda-like puzzles meant you used your inventory items to solve puzzles and progress.

Problem was the combat. HUGE loading times. This was early in the PSX days, so people hadn't figured out how to quickly stream data off the disc yet. No one did any damage. Not enemies, not you, not anyone. You'd sit there with 600 HP characters, fighting 400 HP enemies, each side doing what felt like twenty damage per attack. The battles dragged on FOREVER. It also meant that they were abnormally easy, since there was no risk, just a long, boring wait every battle.

Playing Wild Arms caused me such pain that I beat the thing like it was some sort of rite of passage. After the credits rolled I received a special facial tattoo and the right to take the Chief's daughter as my wife. But was it worth it?

Was it?!

pipka said:
When did motherfucking weeboo console games become "RPG"?

I'm guessing before you were born.

You're overreacting, the loadings weren't much worse than any other early PSX game.

Since you liked the world, story and dungeons, you might be interested in the PS2 remake. They retranslated some things, too, iirc

Also, not a rpg, but metal gear solid is p cool. Yesterday I was raging at a boss and the save game girl recited me a proverb and told me that I should smile and be grateful I have enough free time to play a game. I like when the game "talks" with the player without going lul so random no fourth wall doom penguins

pipka said:
When did motherfucking weeboo console games become "RPG"?

kodex kool kredits +1000

Zeus

Cipher
Clockwork Knight said:
You're overreacting, the loadings weren't much worse than any other early PSX game.

PSX *game*? Sure. Most games took a while to load back then, but WA had to load a clunky battle every five or six steps. If the combat was fun instead of grueling, the wait might have been worth it. But it wasn't. Compare Wild ARMs' ineffective slap-fest battles to Suikoden, which had battles that loaded almost instantly and were over in about ten seconds.

By the end of Wild ARMs, each fight you get into takes like five or six rounds. And it's not because I was too low level -- the enemies weren't too hard for me, they barely touched me with each attack. I've never seen a game paced like that before or since. It was mind-numbingly dull and frustrating as all hell.

Btw, I used the slim tiny psx to play it (and every other psx game, never owned the giant one), and it apparently was better at loading times because it was released later, so I might be biased

btw, emovamp, do you hate all dungeon crawlers or just the brainless ones

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
If more JRPG were more along the lines of Xenogears I would play them. Xenosaga sucked big time. Xenogears combat was fun while most JRPGs combat is really boring.

Zeus said:
I've never seen a game paced like that before or since. It was mind-numbingly dull and frustrating as all hell.
It's funny -- I also remembering the battles in that game with frustration, but the thing that drove me nuts were the graphics. It was like a testament to why 3D graphics were a terrible decision.

The intro cinematic was a pretty (though anime) cartoon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajMRQnhQ9zU), smoothly animated and nicely drawn field maps (http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstati ... tId,23771/), and then the ugliest, blockiest, worst-textured 3D combat since Specter (http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstati ... tId,23780/).

At the time it looked nice, iirc. The psx games were aqll "oh shit man look here dis is 3d man! 3d" and we didn't even care about the blocky graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom