Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Four Fat Chicks: NWN is bland, but fun

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Neverwinter Nights

Yep. Just like the title says, <a href=http://fourfatchicks.com>Four Fat Chicks</a> picked up a copy of <a href=http://nwn.bioware.com>Neverwinter Nights</a> that somebody threw out, played it, and loved it for a variety of reasons that could be found <a href=http://fourfatchicks.com/Reviews/Neverwinter_Nights/NWN.shtml>here</a>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>There is not much to say. Neverwinter Nights is fun, a lot of fun. It is also bland. Despite its figurative colorlessness, it has an addictive quality to it. I started down the Path to Gaming Enlightenment and Achievement of the One True Electronic Nirvana the arcades of the 1980s, when platform was my thing. "Just one more level—gimme another quarter, willya?" Perhaps that is why Neverwinter Nights worked for me. Gameplay has a certain sameness throughout; locations are all made from the same limited set of tiles; freedom of in-game choice is illusory—you see it but you don't feel it; after a very few times bashing open chests, I lost that little buzz of excitement on learning what lay within. The story is nothing special, yet another product of the Acme Fantastical Defy-the-Odds-and-Save-the-World Factory. I'm thinking it was the ongoing quest for more strength, better weapons, longer life that propelled me forward, much like the points and levels of Centipede or Crystal Castles of days gone by. And there are some dragons. Dragons are cool.
<br>
<br>
As for the plot, I very recently played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, another game by the same developer. <u>Same shit, different day</u>—the stories are that similar (although the settings are wildly different). Even several of the puzzles are repeated. I really loved KOTOR, and I am well aware that it came after NWN. I am glad I played it first, though, because otherwise I would've felt at least some of the same disappointment with it, by far the better of the two games, that I now feel with Neverwinter Nights. It's as if these developers only have so many good ideas and they pack them all into every game they make. Which is okay, seeing as how it's balanced out by the fact that there are not very many bad ideas 'tall. Some, though.</blockquote> "Same shit, different day". That sums up Bio games very nicely.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LOL You need more help than I do, and that says a lot. :shock:

axel

Liturgist
Greyhawk said:
I never knew something could be both bland and fun :shock:

In that context, bland is just another way of saying "lacks depth". Like asteroids, it's fun but there isn't much to it.

There are lots of games that are "bland and fun", Counter-strike and Diablo 2 for example, in fact, I'd go so far to say that every game that relies on multiplayer as it's main pull, is bland and fun.

taks

Liturgist
i'd probably say asteroids falls more in the "addictive but repetitive" category...

nwn is just that, bland. gives you that "sigh, another chapter to go..." feeling. wonder why a 2 year old game is suddenly worthy of review? maybe they should really reach and review the bard's tale.

taks

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I was introduced to The Four Fat Chicks from the adventure gaming community, because they happen to review a lot of adventure games (y'know, of the point 'n click variety). I don't tend to take the site very seriously, because I simply never see a negative review come out of there.

They liked Jazz 'n Faust, for instance. A lot.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
A big job for one person—two, actually, in my case. Early on, you get an opportunity to hire one or more henchpeople depending on your character. As a fighter, I could only have one companion; I believe the maximum is four
He mentions summoned monsters next, so it seems that he believes that other classes can have more henchmen. Didn't read the manual?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom