Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Lionheart - Pause and Play

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

Per <A href="http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=1190">this forum thread</a> on the <a href="http://forums.interplay.com/">Interplay Forums</a>, <a href="http://lionheart.blackisle.com">Lionheart</a> will backslide back to the typical <a href="http://www.blackisle.com">BIS</a> faire and impliment a <b>real time with pause</b> scheme. Here's the skinny:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Here's an example of how a combat might go:
<br>
<br>
I see a group of archers at the edge of the screen, so I pause the game and equip my bow and arrow, and place offensive and healing spells in the quick slot. I select 'head' on the critical targeting display, and then unpause the game and attack the enemy I want. After a few volleys, I pause again, and unequip my bow and arrow, and go to sword and shield, and place a potion of strength and healing in my quickslot. When I unpause, I drink a potion and rush in to attack. Pausing when necessary to change tactics or to be sure about my target.
<br>
<br>
Hopefully, this comes as good news to the folks who were looking for some kind of pause to help slow down the action to their comfort level.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Here's a wacky thought.. If the action needs to be <i>slowed down</i>, why not just make it turn based since the <b>SPECIAL</b> system was designed for turn based in the first place?
<br>
<br>
Oh, wait, that just might make too much sense.
<br>

Deathy

Liturgist
You think that there'd be more solutions that implementing a half assed Pause and play system.
Slowing down the combat, Having quick slot item configuration macros, anything is better than a half assed pause and play system.

Next they'll have trouble coding NPC companion AI.
Instead of fixing the problem, they'll use a half assed work around such as giving full control to the player.

Way to clone the Infinity Engine, guys!

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Per <
Here's a wacky thought.. If the action needs to be <i>slowed down</i>, why not just make it turn based since the <b>SPECIAL</b> system was designed for turn based in the first place?

We are sorry but our marketing department decided that REAL BASED "TM"
gaming is much more popular that turn based gaming .

And our marketing depatment is NEVER WRONG "TM"

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Anonymous

Ha, so they finally opted to throw in pausing.

Even if the infinity engine dies, it's gameplay lives on.

Section8

Cipher
Fuck that. Fuck that in its stupid ass. I'm on my way to Reflexive, and I'm going to make them eat my shit, and then eat their shit which is made up of my shit. Oh, and maybe take a few cans of liquid nitrogen with me to pause them while they consider the question "What the fuck is wrong with turn-based?" and maybe "Why the fuck are you doing your best to follow in the footsteps of the worst developers kicking around, the almighty Bioware?" Have any of them actually played Neverwinter Nights and realised how truly banal and outright fucking dull it is? Bad call, Reflexive and/or Interplay. Just because every other fucking sheep is walking through the door to the abatoir doesn't make it a good idea to follow.

Spazmo

Erudite
Section8 said:
Fuck that. Fuck that in its stupid ass. I'm on my way to Reflexive, and I'm going to make them eat my shit, and then eat their shit which is made up of my shit.

Somebody's been watching Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

I think there was something interesting Saint Proverbius said that was transcribed into a newspost by Killzig at DAC:

Saint Proverbius has presented the perfect argument as to why Real-Time in Lionheart is preferable to Combat with Pause/Issue Orders.

Basically, it boils down to this, you have a bunch of fat geeks lounging around in basements wanting real time with pause? Why? Because they're so damned fat, they have no manual dexterity other than what masturbation to Xena gets them. However, because they're hopped up on cheetos and other high carb junk food, and Mountain Dew, they don't have the attention span for turn based. In short, fuck them.

Thank you Saint, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Almost sounds like something Kevin Smith would write.

I think that sums it up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom