Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

40K Squad Commander

obediah

Erudite
The PSP demo is available for this game - and the demo at least is a blast!

It suffers from all the normal hand held consolitis, but it has facing, TB-AP combat, kneeling, aiming, overwatch, nearly everything is destructable, dynamic line-of-sight and it looks pretty good to boot.

Kneeling and changing face seem to be free, which is a bummer, and it's hard to tell from the demo how customizable the weapons are. Doesn't look like there is any experience or lvl up aspect either, no idea if there is any incentive to keep your marines alive.

Camera control on the PSP is shit as usual. The DS version should fix some of the problems and look like shit. If the stylus controls are good and all the it implements all the mechanics, it may be the version to get. Somehow I suspect that the lower resolution and horsepower is going to affect more than shiny though.

Anyway, everyone buy it so we can get other armies, and improved mechanics.

obediah

Erudite
Cthulhu said:
It is a dumbed down Chaos Gate, then? Well, whatever. I hope the NDS emulator will run it.

That seems pretty apt. Although I don't remember how Chaos Gate handled cover and if anything was destructable. You get to play with heavy firepower, so when you pin someone down you can either try to flank them or bring in a dreadnought to remove the cover. You also have to watch out for the enemy, a chunk of rubble is great cover against cultists, but not so much chaos terminators. Of course the demo level has some explosive barrels laying around as well.

I expect the difficulty will be non-existant, although both versions support MP. Levels are limited to 6 characters as well, so no epic conflicts. :(

Ivy Mike

Scholar
I'm looking forward to playing this on my DS. Since squad level TB games are rare these days you'll have to be content with what you get, and so far it looks like WH 40k squad command is good enough to warrant a purchase.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
SquatCommand40k.jpg

NiM82

Prophet
Meh, it'd definitely be a purchase for me (along with a handheld) if it did have the little guys with big trains in it :/

trystero

Novice
The demo...

The demo is definitely nice looking, my understanding from an earlier interview is that, aside from the Ultramarines, there would be Grey Wolves units in a couple missions, as well as Imperial Guard units for control.

I keep looking for a dev to say there will be downloadable content, new multipplayer maps, units, or something, but there isn't a word from them. Given the huge focus on multiplayer for this game, I would have thought downloadable maps would be a given.

- trystero

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom