Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

40K Squad Commander

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by obediah, Nov 2, 2007.

1. obediah Erudite

obediah
    The PSP demo is available for this game - and the demo at least is a blast!

It suffers from all the normal hand held consolitis, but it has facing, TB-AP combat, kneeling, aiming, overwatch, nearly everything is destructable, dynamic line-of-sight and it looks pretty good to boot.

Kneeling and changing face seem to be free, which is a bummer, and it's hard to tell from the demo how customizable the weapons are. Doesn't look like there is any experience or lvl up aspect either, no idea if there is any incentive to keep your marines alive.

Camera control on the PSP is shit as usual. The DS version should fix some of the problems and look like shit. If the stylus controls are good and all the it implements all the mechanics, it may be the version to get. Somehow I suspect that the lower resolution and horsepower is going to affect more than shiny though.

Anyway, everyone buy it so we can get other armies, and improved mechanics.

^ Top  
  2. Cthulhugoat Arbiter

Cthulhugoat
    It is a dumbed down Chaos Gate, then? Well, whatever. I hope the NDS emulator will run it.

^ Top  
  3. obediah Erudite

obediah
    That seems pretty apt. Although I don't remember how Chaos Gate handled cover and if anything was destructable. You get to play with heavy firepower, so when you pin someone down you can either try to flank them or bring in a dreadnought to remove the cover. You also have to watch out for the enemy, a chunk of rubble is great cover against cultists, but not so much chaos terminators. Of course the demo level has some explosive barrels laying around as well.

I expect the difficulty will be non-existant, although both versions support MP. Levels are limited to 6 characters as well, so no epic conflicts. :(

^ Top  
  4. Major_Blackhart Codexia Lord Sodom Patron

Major_Blackhart
    Website? I've never heard of this or Chaos gate. Are either any good?

^ Top  
  5. obediah Erudite

obediah
    Sure.

www.google.com

Chaos Gate is awesome. Squad Command, probably not so much.

^ Top  
  6. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    Is there a working NDS emulator? As far as I know they all suck balls.

^ Top  
  7. Cthulhugoat Arbiter

Cthulhugoat
    iDeaS is the best out there. I'd say 40% of the ROMs are playable.

^ Top  
  8. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    How would a DS emulator work? Use mouse cursor as the stick thingy?
    edit- lol, I tried one out, my comp just isn't good enough

^ Top  
  9. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  10. NiM82 Prophet

NiM82
    Meh, it'd definitely be a purchase for me (along with a handheld) if it did have the little guys with big trains in it :/

^ Top  
  11. trystero Novice

trystero
    The demo...

The demo is definitely nice looking, my understanding from an earlier interview is that, aside from the Ultramarines, there would be Grey Wolves units in a couple missions, as well as Imperial Guard units for control.

I keep looking for a dev to say there will be downloadable content, new multipplayer maps, units, or something, but there isn't a word from them. Given the huge focus on multiplayer for this game, I would have thought downloadable maps would be a given.

- trystero

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.