Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

41 year old man plays Resident Evil games for the first time, mostly hates them

Well, as you are all no doubt ecstatic to hear, I have now played Resident Evil 5 (in SP).

And what, you might ask, are my thoughts on Resident Evil 5?

Well, the first one I had upon completion was: "What the fuck did I just play?"

The second was: "Wow what a pile of steaming hot trash".

To get the co-op argument out of the way: Yes, I can totally see that the game would be better with a good friend by your side, but you know what else is? Terminal cancer.

The nicest thing I can see about my experience with RE5 is that it made me look back on RE4 with strong affection.

I'm not going to do much of a deep-dive on this because I hated this game so fucking much, but here are some quick bullet points.

-Wesker has always been a shitty character and a shittier villain, but ohmygawd is he taken to the Nth degree of garbage here. Fucking anime super-powered trash.

-Sheva. Hah... hahhhh.... ohgodkillmenow.

-Worst depiction of Africa I've ever seen in a game. I lived for several years in West Africa, for a couple in Nairobi, and have visited both SA and Egypt, and man this game just looks fuckall like it takes place on that continent. Somewhere early on in development there was a meeting of the art leads and they decided that the best way to evoke Africa was to just make everything gray. Really fucking gray. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure that when you look closely most of the zombies are very clearly of East Asian or Indian ancestry.

-The inventory. Some genius decided that the one thing that should be retained from the franchise's roots is shitty nonsensical inventory management. It's fine at the beginning, but once you're working with a mostly full inventory it becomes a Goddammned nightmare. Without exaggeration the most difficulty I encountered in this game was trying to figure out how to get Sheva to stop unnecessarily splitting her ammo stacks so that she would have a free slot to just pick up another type of ammo and load it into an empty weapon in her inventory. What sort of stupid motherfucker thinks this is good design?

-Encountered a game-breaking bug in Chapter 6-1 that has apparently existed since launch 13 years ago, but I had to slum around Steam forums to find a fanpatch for it anyways. Thanks Crapcom!

This is all to say: Resident Evil 5 is irredeemable garbage. I was planning on playing RE0 next, but after this shitfest I need a palate-cleanser from the franchise, even though RE0 is supposedly an actual proper RE game. I hope you all check back in a year from now when I inevitably decide to play the copy of RE6 that's sitting in my Steam inventory. Surely it can't be that bad, right?

...Right?

Zlaja

Arcane
Perhaps you should play some good RE games instead of crappy ones? Like the remake of the first game and the original version of 2 and 3. I also think Revelations 2 is decent.

Perhaps you should play some good RE games instead of crappy ones? Like the remake of the first game
I did; it’s reviewed earlier in this thread (I liked it a lot).

OG 2&3 are on my list, but my understanding is it’s a bit of a hassle to emulate them properly on modern rigs and I am lazy.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
OG 2&3 are on my list, but my understanding is it’s a bit of a hassle to emulate them properly on modern rigs and I am lazy.

They are pretty easy to run.

There is even a prepackaged emulator for RE2 and 3 with higher res upscaled and hand fixed backgrounds for Dolphin the GC emulator. You just need the NTSC isos.

https://www.reshdp.com/re2/
https://www.reshdp.com/re3/

If you want something more vanilla just grab the PSX versions and run them with your PSX emulator of choice.

There is also the rebirth pack for RE1/RE2/RE3 PC versions which allows them to run on modern PCs without too many issues.
https://appleofeden.de-doc.com/index.php/download/resident-evil-2-classic-rebirth/

Pick your poison.

Last edited:
Yeah PS1 games and most PS2 games are really easy to run with emulator, rarely would I have any problems with those that I've tried.

SumDrunkGuy

RE4 was the point where the franchise shamelessly sold out for mass appeal and turned into a shooter. Play the first two entries (the originals, not the remakes) if you want a proper taste of what is Resident Evil.
REmake is the best one you fucking idiot.

thelegend

Learned
Resident evil is one of the most overrated games of all time with its b-horror and jump scare shit. Silent hill 2 is better than any resident evil game ever created.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Silent Hill series is RE for storyfags, and Silent Hill 2 is Silent Hill for storyfags.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah PS1 games and most PS2 games are really easy to run with emulator, rarely would I have any problems with those that I've tried.

Yeah very easy to run and acquire, though I tend to prefer using the reshdp project for the GC version of RE2/3 now as it goes far beyond a standard AI upscale.

They got higher res sources where possible (RE3 famously has a ton of higher res backgrounds available for certain scenes that weren't used ingame), did an AI upscale on everything and then went through by hand to fix up any glitches and make any environmental text more legible.

Probably the gold standard for what these upscale projects should do, rather than just lazily running everything through an upscale and not bothering to check the results.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
RE4 was the point where the franchise shamelessly sold out for mass appeal and turned into a shooter. Play the first two entries (the originals, not the remakes) if you want a proper taste of what is Resident Evil.

RE4 is the only reason the franchise exists anymore, faggot. No cunt was buying the games prior to it.

Telll me something <3sRichardSimmons?
Are you still shooting enemies and waiting for them to recover?
Sometimes, but not as much!

I know you're trying to be pithy, but in general one of the only things that RE5 does better than RE4 is force the player into a much more mobile playstyle. Unfortunately this also has some drawbacks like when you realize that by far the easiest way to deal with the crocs is to just run past them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom