Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info DoubleBear Zombie Influences

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; DoubleBear Productions

Brian continues his Monday Design Updates and this time he talks about from <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1456.0.html">whence he draws his inspirations.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">X-Com combat made the end of a turn into as sweaty, heart-in-the-pit-of-the-stomach press of a button. You could have several good turns where aliens were spotted and put down before they could get a shot, and then one turn where the operation was completely FUBAR – a grenade thrown into the middle of a squad, a Chryssalid running into a room and killing your commander, or an unseen sniper getting several good shots in on your best guys – it was as much a game of suspense as it was of tactics. Enemies had to be spotted – not triggered, mind you – but actually seen by one of your party members in order to know its position, which meant that it was entirely possible for an enemy to sneak up on you if you weren’t carefully positioning guys to watch your back. Every time you were about to open a door, you didn’t know if the room was going to be empty or if six Snakemen were going to be standing there with rifles aimed at your chest. The game provided scares and tension that carefully-plotted designs just can’t reproduce.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
If this Zombie RPG is going to have X-COM style combat I won't complain.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.irontowerstudio.com">ITS</A>

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
this is one of the only interesting things i've read a developer post in a long, long time.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
we should tattoo a codexian seal of approval on his forehead.

denizsi

Arcane
Imagine scavenging a building, opening a gate and being flooded by a horde of zombies.

Worse yet; imagine scavenging a building in an area where another group of aggressive survivors have "claimed". As you're moving about the place, unaware of anyone watching you or why zombies just keep coming despite your best efforts at keeping quite, a group of strangers out there are watching, leading zombies to you and leading you to your eventual death.

denizsi

Arcane
I hope she's put them to good use. With such boobs, it would be a crime to never do ice-cream / honey fantasies and a hotdog (the former two and the latter separately, obviously).

Luzur

Good Sir
denizsi said:
I hope she's put them to good use. With such boobs, it would be a crime to never do ice-cream / honey fantasies and a hotdog (the former two and the latter separately, obviously).

or a couple of rolls of bacon and a bucket of whipped cream.

Krash

Arcane
Brian wrote:
If you make some noise, maybe one or two find you or maybe a small mob of them start coming at you from all directions. When clearing a house or a gas station, if you and your allies aren’t constantly paying attention to your surroundings, it’s likely that a zombie might just come up behind one of you and take a chunk out of someone. Rather than set up linear room-corridor-room with event triggers, I want the player’s own tactics, noise level, and exploration to determine what happens between them and any humans or zombies there.

Anticipation rising... I get visions of the "of the dead" movies just from reading that.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Do remember that it's a RPG first and tactics game second. Thus, you have as much control over your party-members as you had in F1/F2. But yes, sounds very good.

Annie's boobs too :cool:

denizsi

Arcane
If they go for a retail boxed release, they should make sure to put an upper body photo of Annie somewhere on it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
why does this thread remind me so much of the bioware boards.....

relootz

Scholar
This is the best thread i have read in a while.

Moar boobs.

hiver

What? No rage over non-controllable allies?
No moaning about not having full control and this game not being full tactical opportunity to prove how awesome a human mind is compared to NPC Ai?

People actually getting what Brian meant with his influences post?

I mean in between all the lame and stupid boob "jokes".

wtf is going on?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Dan went first to. Lucy and I covered him with our shotguns trained against the door, while Jamie and Matt lingered bit farther out, hopefully remembering to keep watch. Apparently they did not, for as soon as Dan started opening the door, Matt shouted in desperation. I turned and saw a zombie hanging by its teeth on Matt's shin, blood dripping through its jaws. It had crawled from under the parked SUV next to Matt. And as I took a step towards him, I heard Dan cursing loudly. Surprise, surprise, there had been a corpse inside and it was now busy wrestling with Dan, who desperately took steps backwards, trying to avoid its bite. And then Lucy lost it. I guess she thought she would save Dan, except she did not remember that a shotgun is different from the rifles she had shot before Z-day. Probably two-thirds of the buckshot stopped in the rotting corpse, but the rest were more than enough to ensure that Dan would want to feast on our flesh pretty soon. I don't know which one was worse to hear - Dan's maligned, hoarse coughing as he crumpled down or Lucy's hysterical scream of anguish after she realized she had killed her husband. The realization that the group was finished hit me like a lightning from clear sky. I took one glance at Jamie, who had completely frozen up, baseball bat dropping from her limp fingers. No time to shock her into action. No time at all, for the noise we had made would ensure every Z-head inside five klicks would be heading this way. I took off on a steady pace, jogging over the street, watching my steps. It wasn't really my problem, not anymore.

And to think, just few days ago I had been a kindergarten teacher.

So that's a scenario that I'm hoping that ZRPG can create. Would be awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom