Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

CD Projekts Tomasz Gop <a href="http://witchervault.ign.com/View.php?view=Editorials.Detail&id=4">gets interviewed by IGN.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;"><b>Witcher Vault: Continuing in the ‘comparison’ vein, can you tell us something about combat? We’ve seen the examples during your gameplay session, and – to be frank – it wasn’t actually more dynamic to the viewer. However, from what you describe, the system is much more dynamic. Can you explain?</b>
<br>
<br>
<b>Tomasz Gop:</b> Well, right now you’ve seen a dev playing. There’re two significant changes here, first of all, there’s no hard lock onto a target. Where in W1 you were forced to attack a selected target – which needed to be reselected, if you had to switch to the next one – now you can simply change the direction of your attacks, and they will find the next opponent even mid-hit, without losing the pace. Another new thing is the ability to mix fighting styles ad hoc, without any penalty or losing your progression. And, to that point, there’s no fixed combo sequences now – you build your attacks by yourself, mixing and matching for better result. You can even use Signs during ‘clicking’ with no detriment to the melee.
<br>
<br>
<b>Witcher Vault: So is seemingly slower-paced combat a result of lower level of the character shown in the presentation, or maybe something else?</b>
<br>
<br>
<b>Tomasz Gop:</b> We don’t want to show everything at once. To be honest, we were focusing more on the plot, dialogue system, cutscenes integration into the game during this presentation, more so than on the combat. It’s also worth mentioning that combat in the Witcher has never been a very big part of the game – at least, not considering the RPG aspect. In fact, we wanted to make combat in W2 more ‘witchery’, more tactical, more tuned to the character development. That said, we wanted to give player a choice: whether he/she wants to fight more with the aid of alchemy, or maybe solely focusing on the swordfight. There’s even more interactivity here – since wilderness here is a true ecosystem, you can perform truly ‘witchery’ stuff, not just tied to your knowledge of how to defeat the monsters. For example, you can catch a beast, pump it full of some substance, then let it go. Then, you follow it on its chemical trail to its lair, and destroy the whole lair of the monsters. This, in particular, is something that we haven’t done in Witcher 1.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
<i>We don’t want to show everything at once. To be honest, we were focusing more on the plot, dialogue system, cutscenes integration into the game during this presentation, more so than on the combat.</i>
<br>
Yet I'm willing to bet that we're going to spend a lot of time in combat, so maybe - just maybe - you should focus on the combat enough to get it right.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/97620-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-interview.html">GB</A>

Lothers

Scholar
The more I read about TW2, the more it seems dumbed down, but maybe it won't be, who knows?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I don't think it's possible for combat to be more dumbed down than TW1.

Phelot

Arcane
Well, it does sound like the combat might get more arcade like, perhaps a bit like Blade of Darkness? I doubt it though.

It’s also worth mentioning that combat in the Witcher has never been a very big part of the game – at least, not considering the RPG aspect

:lol: He must be joking, did he play his own game? What was going on in Chapter 1 or in the swamps? That wasn't combat? Does he mean the second game?

For example, you can catch a beast, pump it full of some substance, then let it go. Then, you follow it on its chemical trail to its lair, and destroy the whole lair of the monsters

:? I don't know, this just doesn't sound interesting. Sounds like it'll just be another cut-scene, probably a gimmick that is needed to complete a quest. Who knows though.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
shit, guys. i dunno. in the midst of retards like Bioware and Bethesda i actually think what he's saying sounds promising if it's at all true.

Crichton

Prophet
It's hard for me to be too optimistic about the combat after the train-wreck of the first game. But everything he mentions sounds like an improvement; example actual "combos" as in combining two different things instead of just clicking after the swishy sound to get the next attack in sequence.

The rest of it is probably crap, but the monster tracking thing sounded a lot like the tracking feature in Batman: AA which wasn't really gameplay you just follow some icons, but it was still kind of cute.

Twinkle

Liturgist
like Blade of Darkness

Oh, god, it could've been heavan.

Leaving BoD aside, they should've just copypasted Jedi Outcast/Academy system to tWitcher. After all, both are focused around light-armored agile melee fighter with basic magic abilities.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Well, from what I've seen on some gameplay vids the combat system will be rather like that of Risen than the original Witcher. :incline:

Angthoron

Arcane
Witcher Vault: So is seemingly slower-paced combat a result of lower level of the character shown in the presentation, or maybe something else?

Tomasz Gop: We don’t want to show everything at once. To be honest, we were focusing more on the plot, dialogue system, cutscenes integration into the game during this presentation, more so than on the combat.

Zomgwhat, an RPG developed with more focus on story than on combat? Alert the Codex, we wouldn't want the Torment incident repeating itself!

...Not that I'm expecting this to be a Torment-level game, but seriously, shouldn't that be like, hm, good news? There's a ton of RPGs with little or no plot but tons of combat, why not have it the other way around in a setting where that might actually matter?

Murk

Arcane
I think I'm spoiled by Piranha Bytes' games or something but they should really have free-form exploration down to a science by now in gaming. Is it really that hard to make it possible to climb any ledge in sight or to stand on any ground that isn't too vertically inclined (declined?)?

Witcher 1 did have great pathfinding in mouse point n click mode but holy hell was the combat in that game on obnoxious QTE drawn out over time.

Total +++ that they're having streamed areas that are accessible real time and not a 'teleporter' for every door.

MasPingon

Arcane
Angthoron said:
Witcher Vault: So is seemingly slower-paced combat a result of lower level of the character shown in the presentation, or maybe something else?

Tomasz Gop: We don’t want to show everything at once. To be honest, we were focusing more on the plot, dialogue system, cutscenes integration into the game during this presentation, more so than on the combat.

Zomgwhat, an RPG developed with more focus on story than on combat? Alert the Codex, we wouldn't want the Torment incident repeating itself!

...Not that I'm expecting this to be a Torment-level game, but seriously, shouldn't that be like, hm, good news?

Tomasz Gop:

Nope

Angthoron

Arcane
The name should tell me something? I'm sorry, I'm not in tune with Polish celebrities.

Vibalist

Arcane
I have to ask, since I feel like a total moron for apparantly being the only one not to get this, but what exactly is so terrible about combat in The Witcher?

DraQ

Arcane
Vibalist said:
I have to ask, since I feel like a total moron for apparantly being the only one not to get this, but what exactly is so terrible about combat in The Witcher?
I wouldn't call it terrible, but it could use more interactivity and complexity.

Looked good, though.

Vibalist

Arcane
DraQ said:
Vibalist said:
I wouldn't call it terrible, but it could use more interactivity and complexity.

Looked good, though.

Yes, I agree with this. I can understand why people would find the combat system a bit underwhelming and simple, but terrible? I don't get that.

Currently replaying Witcher and I'm still loving the combat, and everything combat related, such as preparing potions and oils.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Elwro said:
My only problem with TW's combat was that there was too much of it.
Well, you could always buy some salt or garlic.
But yeah, if there are items that let you skip an integral part of the game, that means something's wrong.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Vibalist said:
DraQ said:
Vibalist said:

Looked good, though.

Yes, I agree with this. I can understand why people would find the combat system a bit underwhelming and simple, but terrible? I don't get that.

Currently replaying Witcher and I'm still loving the combat, and everything combat related, such as preparing potions and oils.

*click* *wait* *click* *wait* *click* *wait*

That's pretty fucking terrible. I like the game a lot, especially stuff surrounding the combat actually, but the combat itself has got to be the most uninventive since Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy.

Vibalist

Arcane
Grunker said:
Vibalist said:
DraQ said:
Vibalist said:

Looked good, though.

*click* *wait* *click* *wait* *click* *wait*

That's pretty fucking terrible. I like the game a lot, especially stuff surrounding the combat actually, but the combat itself has got to be the most uninventive since Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy.

It's not very complicated, but it's fun. Switching between combat styles when up against numerous opponents (as group style becomes useless once you isolate one or two of them), using your signs at the right time (as endurance recharges too slowly for you to just spam Aard) and considering which potions you want to drink before a fight (as you can't consume more than three or four, at least on the hardest difficulty, without dying), etc.. All this makes for a system that works well and is entertaining. And even though half of the codexers probably wont admit this, the visuals also aid greatly in making the combat great, as Geralt looks amazing when swinging a sword.
It's all the elements adding up that makes combat in The Witcher fun.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I kinda feel the same way there. I wouldn't mind less encounters and a more involved combat system but I'm ok with the current system.

Texas Red

Whiner
Elwro said:
My only problem with TW's combat was that there was too much of it.

Seriously? The whole of the 2nd Chapter is just basically leg work and dialog with only the occasional fight and no dungeon crawling. There are quests that aren't about combat at all. Compare this to any other recent RPG, even MotB, where almost everything basically revolved around combat.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yes, but still, would you really deny that there's too much combat in the swamps?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom