Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus talks Fallout: New Vegas with The Escapist

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Feargus Urquhart

In addition to their recent preview, The Escapist managed to score some alone time with Feargus Urquhart for a <b><a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/7500-Feargus-Urquhart-Comes-Home" target="blank">Fallout: New Vegas Q&A</a></b>.
<br>
<blockquote>We all played Fallout 3 to death. One, because we wanted to, two, because we needed to really understand it. So we really wanted to understand what they were trying to accomplish and what their vision was. And then we followed up with questions. We haven't asked a ton, but things get run by Todd Howard all the time. The amount of conflict that has existed - like "Why can't we do this?" "Well you just can't," - it's been like four things. A lot of it has to do with that they have ideas for the future and so they just don't want us to go playing with where they see their future.
<br>
<br>
This is similar to what happened with the Star Wars stuff. One of the first things we wanted to do with KOTOR was we wanted to use Alderaan and LucasFilm came back with "No." So it's a collection of that, it's the knowing and the asking of important questions and being upfront with them about everything we're doing. We over-document everything. We're like "Here." And they're like "Stop writing."
<br>
<br>
TE: Can you give any examples of the four or so things you weren't able to do?
<br>
<br>
FU: In some cases, it's pretty minor stuff. For one of them, we were thinking of a certain city and they said "We want to reserve that for something we want to do." It didn't really hurt what we were doing at all.
<br>
<br>
We [also] talked a lot about when it should occur in the timeline. Originally, we thought that it didn't take place after Fallout 3 and that it took place between Fallout 2 and Fallout 3. When Bethesda thinks about their worlds, they always want to be pressing forward. So every game just moves the timeline forward. That's one of the things they said "No," and that's why it takes place years after Fallout 3.</blockquote>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.duckandcover.cx/">DAC</A>

Chefe

Erudite
I wonder if they wanted to try and make sense of the setting and storyline fuck ups by setting the game between FO2 and FO3. I am kind of concerned that there were only a few things that Todd Howard told them not to do, which points to this game being more like FO3. Of course, he could just be lying because badmouthing your boss is generally not a good thing to do.

I am so glad to hear that NV is more spread out. One of the big problems with FO3 was that everything was mushed together. It was like there was a big war only several years ago.

With the talk of camp, and his comparison of someone playing FO3 and NV, it almost looks like they're trying to go for a FO1 and FO2 thing... only this time FO1 was fucking horrible and FO2 is basically that with the camp amped up to 11.

"There's going to be a couple of fan sites that will vilify us, but that's the way it is."
I WONDER WHO HE IS TALKING ABOUT

"We still go back, because it is Bethesda's Fallout, it's not Black Isle's Fallout."
I believe that is one of the more depressing statements I've seen uttered in a game interview. :(

Gobbo

Novice
Chefe said:
"We still go back, because it is Bethesda's Fallout, it's not Black Isle's Fallout."
I believe that is one of the more depressing statements I've seen uttered in a game interview. :(

He's sayin': if we fuck up, who cares, Fallout is no more anyway. Cool thinking :D

Texas Red

Whiner
66585.jpg

This is a stupid picture. The lone warrior looking down on a city on the horizon is probably featured at least once in every SF or fantasy setting ever made. That he slowly turns his head to the camera doesn't help. Who uses red glowing eyes anymore anyway? If every game tries to be "cool", the way to stand out from this crowd is not to be retarded.

I'm going to read this article now but if they mention that golf thing again I swear...

Multi-headed Cow

Now if New Vegas sucks it's Bethesda's fault! DAMN YOU BESTHESDARD YOU ASRE KILklING MY BROS AT OBSIDIAN I HATE U TODLDH WOARD

LazyD

Liturgist
I'm so going to say, "I told you so fags" when you people finally realize its ass.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Multi-headed Cow said:
Now if New Vegas sucks it's Bethesda's fault!

wait.

how, exactly, wouldn't the most shit parts of New Vegas not be Bethesda's fault, were the game to turn out partially shit?

graphics: Bethesda
engine: Bethesda
in charge of nu-canon: Bethesda
time-line: Bethesda
final approval: Bethesda

and most importantly...

fan-base to cater to: Bethesda's

i mean, it's not like there's much room to move here, guys. this game by all accounts is going to be a prime example of "It's a little better than good for what it is." anybody expecting more is naive. anybody who thinks anybody like myself is blind to this is a skyway alt or a KKKodex wannabe imporor.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"wait.

how, exactly, wouldn't the most shit parts of New Vegas not be Bethesda's fault, were the game to turn out partially shit? "

Obsidian is developing it. If it's not good damn right they should be blamed for it.

roll-a-die

Magister
Volourn said:
"wait.

how, exactly, wouldn't the most shit parts of New Vegas not be Bethesda's fault, were the game to turn out partially shit? "

Obsidian is developing it. If it's not good damn right they should be blamed for it.

Yes, but any major decisions have to be run by Bethesda first. My predictions,

20% CRAP CRAP CRAP BANAL BORING SHIT IE oblivion
20% reskin GFWII/moderately improved, IE Fallout 3 default
40% mediocre IE MOTB and KotOR 2
10% mythical bicorn level epicness IE PST, Fallout 1, Deus Ex

Understanding precisely what made Fallout 3 a perfect sequel is the KEY to making NV successful. This cannot be emphasized enough. Feargus really hit the nail on the head in this interview, and I hope he looks to Bethesda for answers.

-=DarlSephiroth666=- said:
Understanding precisely what made Fallout 3 a perfect sequel is the KEY to making NV successful. This cannot be emphasized enough. Feargus really hit the nail on the head in this interview, and I hope he looks to Bethesda for answers.

In what way is Fallout 3 a perfect sequel?

This is not a troll. I am genuinely curious why you have arrived at this conclusion, and if you would care to elaborate.

I'm playing it every so often at the moment. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy exploring the Capital Wasteland, shooting and looting raiders and stumbling across cool stuff. Equally I'd be lying if I said that parts of the game, eg. a lot of the dialogue, voice-acting, and the main storyline don't make me :facepalm: in despair.

Shannow

Waster of Time
We all played Fallout 3 to death. One, because we wanted to, two, because we needed to really understand it. So we really wanted to understand what they were trying to accomplish and what their vision was. And then we followed up with questions.
*respect* Here's a man that really knows how to rip on Beth through the flower. A man that MCA is too much of a pussy unwilling or unable to be...

random_encounter

Educated
FU: In some cases, it's pretty minor stuff. For one of them, we were thinking of a certain city and they said "We want to reserve that for something we want to do." It didn't really hurt what we were doing at all.
Fallout 4 confirmed.

mike73

Novice
We haven't asked a ton, but things get run by Todd Howard all the time.
Damn it, another Fallout game gone down the shitter.

I'm glad 'Hardcore' mode is still included from what I hear. Also this game looks hideous by the recently released screenshots.

mike73 said:
Also this game looks hideous by the recently released screenshots.
Complaining about graphics in an RPG? Seriously? How about you fuck off back to GameFAGs or wherever you came from?

mike73

Novice
Yeah, same just finished Wasteland hearing only some beeps in Ranger Command Center.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom