Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The #5 RPGs of the Decade (that we think you should play)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
<p>In a follow-up to our award winning, critically acclaimed <a href="../../content.php?id=200">RPG of the Decade - Developers' Choice</a> article, we <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=203">make our own picks for RPGs of the decade</a>:</p>
<p> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">Gothic 2 was, in the eyes of most fans, the very best installment of the series. It had a reasonably-sized world (quite large, but not too large), every single encounter was hand-placed which led to perfect balancing, and it had the best NPC schedules since Ultima VII. The capital city of the game really felt alive, with NPCs going about their daily business, going to the pub in the evening and sleeping at night. Many quests had multiple solutions (there were at least three ways to enter the city, and the expansion added another one) which, sometimes, required you to use your brain.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We've included our personal picks, did some argy-bargy to pick a "top #5 that you should play", before finishing off with the <em>Your Choice Awards</em>. That's where we asked <em>you</em> to send in your pick for RPG of the decade. <em>You </em>didn't but we've included the responses of those who did. We also picked three random winners from that competition which without further ado are as follows:</p>
<ul>
<li><span class="postbody">stony3k (<em>Arcanum</em>)</span></li>
<li><span class="postbody">Ronald Abadi (<em>Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic</em>)
</span></li>
<li><span class="postbody">Dandelion (<em>Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines</em>)
</span></li>
</ul>
<p>They'll each be getting a <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/frontpage?as=1649904300">free game of their choice from Good Old Games</a>.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So go on and <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=203">read our conclusion to the 2000's in RPGs</a>.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
mondblut said:
No VTM: Halflife 2 beta? That's a major incline right there!

011_Octriallach.gif

Edit : Morrowind? Jesus christ

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
This is so sad :(

No love for Arx Fatalis and Avernum. Where have all the cave-dwellers been hiding?

CrimHead

Scholar
Donkey Balls said:
LOL at Morrowind. What was great good about that game? Just another LARP simulator from Bethesda without even a single memorable NPC.

No.

circ said:
No Dungeon Siege? It was a beautiful game.

Yes, that post was for the lulz, but you 'could' start an argument that if we're allowed to judge NWN by its user-modules and Morrowind by its mods and modability, then maybe we can judge Dungeon Siege by Ultima 5/6 Lazarus projects...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
More like a long forum post rather than a well-written article but the picks were okay. Not like there was a lot of good games to choose between. Personally I'd swap BGII and Arcanum (so that BGII would be number 1 and Arcanum number 2).

Anachronox was an interesting choice by Trash. Haven't played that one yet. Haven't even heard much about it.

Murk

Arcane
Anachronox is Skyway approved.

the article was fine, reminded me of the year in review written by section8.

roll-a-die

Magister
Donkey Balls said:
LOL at Morrowind. What was great good about that game? Just another LARP simulator from Bethesda without even a single memorable NPC.

Have you even played morrowind beyond 20 mins of walking around? Crassius Curio, and Dagoth Ur, remain two of my most oft remembered NPCs in any game. Crassius because he's the first one to ask to strip involuntarily in any game. Dagoth Ur because he's "evil," but he's really a quite good guy, if a bit morbid. I actually believed him more than I believed anyone/anything else in the game.

roll-a-die

Magister
root said:
vivec is probably the most authentically irritating fuck i've ever met in any game. and that's a compliment for his characterization.
If we're counting X-paks I would say Amalexia was genuinely terrifying in her insanity and the amount people she a devoted to her. Until I killed her in 2 hits:le sigh:.

roll-a-die

Magister
root said:
nah, maybe not a true RPG, but i think SHODAN was genuinely unnerving from start to finish. i mean, REALLY fucking creepy.
I still count SS and SS2 as an FPS in my mind, otherwise I would have made that connection.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'm surprised I don't see Mask of the Betrayer. Codexers were fapping all over that one.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That list is going to piss just about everyone off.

roll-a-die said:
Donkey Balls said:

Have you even played morrowind beyond 20 mins of walking around? Crassius Curio, and Dagoth Ur, remain two of my most oft remembered NPCs in any game. Crassius because he's the first one to ask to strip involuntarily in any game. Dagoth Ur because he's "evil," but he's really a quite good guy, if a bit morbid. I actually believed him more than I believed anyone/anything else in the game.

Divath Fyr's a Telvanni Mage-Lord so old he's taken to cloning female versions of himself, holding particularly powerful Dremora Lords prisoner (like the one that carried the Daedric Crescent) and trying to unravel divine diseases just to stave off boredom. Not to mention grown out of the 'all other races are lower beings fit only to be slaves, especially Argonians' schtick that a lot of the Telvanni subscribe to. He freed his own and if they stuck around trained them to be badass fighters.

ChristofferC

Magister
The Bethesda RPG:s are the most overrated games I've ever played. Such useless pieces of generic shit. I only lasted a few hours in both Morrowind and Oblivion before I got bored to tears. They have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Everything I saw in those games was bland and boring and felt like copypasta and the games have no gameplay. Bloodlines or Icewind Dale should be on the list instead of Morrowind. Hell, any other game should be on there instead of Morrowind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom