Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay not entirely homeless

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Interplay

It would appear <b>Odin</b>'s source wasn't entirely correct about <A href="Http://www.interplay.com">Interplay</A> getting kicked to the curb as the offices are still open today, however there are few signs of life. As <b>Sean K. Reynolds</b> pointed out in <A href="http://p082.ezboard.com/fseankreynoldsboardsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=1817.topic">this thread</a>(Thanks, <b>JimmyJay86</b>) about the <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7028">news item</a> on <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">No Mutants Allowed</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Well, Interplay isn't evicted <i>yet</i>.
<br>
<br>
In any case, I gave notice today.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
However, one of the <s>morons</s> investors over at the <A href="http://ragingbull.lycos.com/mboard/boards.cgi?board=IPLY">IPLY Raging Bull Forum</a> points out in <a href="http://ragingbull.lycos.com/mboard/boards.cgi?board=IPLY&read=971">this post</a>, no one is answering the phone there:
<br>
<br>
<blockquotE>called Interplay. the phone rings and there answering machine picks up. But there was no receptionist on the line, at least when I called. I was given the option to leave a message. NOt sure what it means that there phones are still on.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Of course, it only gets more funny from there when you read that the <s>morons</s> investors are taking the silence from the company as a good thing instead of wondering where the hell that way overdue earnings report is.
<br>
<br>
Anyway, good luck to <b>Sean</b> on finding a new job and to the rest of the employees there who are searching.
<br>

taks

Liturgist
he gave notice today? i think i'd have been outta there by now... well, maybe this was just a paid job search... oh wait, they're not getting paid...

taks

Briosafreak

Augur
From kumquatq3:
Person 1
Quote:
Yep. Herve and Krew, because they had such
high opinions of their employees, took the liberty of
installing additional security cameras throughout the
building over the holiday weekend. They also carted
off all the cool props and artwork that wasn't nailed
down, like the giant Earthworm Jim model and the
Deathclaw.

person 2
Quote:
I talked to some friends there. The info is not totally true. The doors will be open until Friday. But seems like its finally the end.

From Eragon:
From what I have heard, the employees have until Friday to move all of their personal possessions out of the Von Karman building.

No official word yet on whether they'll receive any of their back pay; no plans were disclosed about Interplay relocating to a different office space to try and continue operations. (Both of these are highly doubtful).

By CA law, Interplay could still remain in the Von Karman building for the next six months, before the building's owner can have them removed by the authorities.

Here

The original info was in fact correct, it was based on a phone call from Interplay saying "come and collect your personal belongings, we`re stoping operations" wich meant all dev work is officialy canceled and they don`t have anything for employees to do. Friday they might even close doors, the nice receptionist lady already left...

Crazy_Vasey

Novice
Do you even have to give notice when you haven't been paid for as long as IP staff have been?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Briosafreak said:
From kumquatq3:
Person 1
Quote:
Yep. Herve and Krew, because they had such
high opinions of their employees, took the liberty of
installing additional security cameras throughout the
building over the holiday weekend. They also carted
off all the cool props and artwork that wasn't nailed
down, like the giant Earthworm Jim model and the
Deathclaw.

The above is mostly false. The Earthworm Jim and Deathclaw stuff was removed, but there are no new cameras.

Think about it, additional security is an investment in the property. Why would they expend money to invest in a building they were going to leave within a few days?

The original info was in fact correct, it was based on a phone call from Interplay saying "come and collect your personal belongings, we`re stoping operations" wich meant all dev work is officialy canceled and they don`t have anything for employees to do. Friday they might even close doors, the nice receptionist lady already left...

Well, the original info was that they had to be out by last night, which was false. Also, Herve Caen is still in the building "working", so the rumor that he was no longer at Interplay HQ is also false.

The stuff wonderbun is giving you thusfar is incorrect.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Saint_Proverbius said:
Think about it, additional security is an investment in the property. Why would they expend money to invest in a building they were going to leave within a few days?.

I could just be another smart business move from Herve. Now we know where that $1.5 million they had at the end of last quarter went.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
The above is mostly false. The Earthworm Jim and Deathclaw stuff was removed, but there are no new cameras.

Actually, that would be half false, not mostly. Assuming your right. :wink:

As I said in the thread I posted that in, I didn't get it confirmed. I was looking for others to help confirm it for me. Anyways, saint may be right, as I found someone who didn't notice any new cameras. Then again, that might be the point. I'll see if I can't get details.

Briosafreak

Augur
Incorrect why? Iplay didn`t pay friday, nor yesterday, told the employees to get their belongings and that they were shutting production, and told them the best move would be to file for unemployement. All is correct, the diference beeing the message at the time didn`t said it was until friday, wich was given to some right away and to others later, and that Herve at that time, and we`re talking almost real time, wasn´t anywhere to be seen, he didn`t went there to talk to the staff, just told HR and legal to do that.
Later he showed up to work, he has a SEC report to file.

But let`s be clear on one thing, we don`t know what are their real plans, the company might close friday or just start another cycle as a publisher without internal development, if they by any miracle get the money or a deal with Atari and Vivendi in the last minute. From the fall at Titus shares value today i`m guessing that`s not working very well, but anything can happen. At this time they are concentrated in convincing the remaining employees to leave without beeing paid and to release the paper, and that`s all we really know without having to rely on guessing, even if it`s educated guessing.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
btw, the camera thing seems good. I'm waiting on something to be sure, but I have zero reason to doubt it now.

EDIT:

I just got this, and I promise you (in my mind) this is as good as it gets:

Just confirmed that additional cameras were indeed installed, but obviously not made common knowledge. Apparently, word that employees were joking/half-joking/not joking about taking equipment, artwork, props, and other things as compensation filtered up to management's ears.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
The cameras just dont make sense, why dont you doubt it? Unless the Herve has been planning this for a long time, expecting not to pay employees making them mad and then they would steal everything.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
POOPERSCOOPER said:
The cameras just dont make sense, why dont you doubt it? Unless the Herve has been planning this for a long time, expecting not to pay employees making them mad and then they would steal everything.

We'll see my edit. I don't know why it happened, but I know it happened. Nor do I know the number installed. Could have been just 3 or 4, but without question some were installed.

Briosafreak

Augur
Wonderbun was joking about that friday on NMA. But more important now is to get something oficial from Interplay and get the damn SEC filling to see in what it says and in what it doesn`t say a clearer picture.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
O, this too:

::The securty camera system:: hasn't been in full use for
some time now. However, this past weekend, every
camera was turned on and the tape is rolling.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why are rumours, myths, and inunnedo (along with gossip) being reported as new? Hmm..

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Not really. i don't reallyc are about herve. After all, he did help destroy a company that helped create 6 of my favorite games. I just don't think stuff that isn't actually news be reported as news.

Briosafreak

Augur
So only everything that comes from official sources from Interplay may be reported? That is as official as it gets, and we know that it isn't all that credible, so what could be done? Wait not reporting at all, even if the ones doing it are in contact with Irvine, is that what you're proposing?

Spazmo

Erudite
STOP THE PRESSES--VOLOURN DOESN'T CARE!

Big fucking deal, Volourn, this shit is extremely relevant to those of us who have been waiting for it for years.

Shevek

Arcane
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about; there is nothing wrong with reporting on rumors so long as it is done responsibly. It is often the case that the media reports on rumors that are of interest to its audience. Rumors and the News are not mutually exclusive. SP notes his sources when possible and the material is relevant to those that have followed developments at IPlay for a bit now.

It will probably get auctioned off along with whats left of herves internal organs when the employees rip him to shreds...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I wonder if Herve actually paid for the security cameras...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom