Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Matt Chat 71: Bard's Tale Won't Hold Your Hand

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Bard's Tale; Interplay; Matt Barton

<p>Matt Barton donned his finest Iron Maiden shirt and made sure his hair was extra poofy for a detailed <a href="http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/3398" target="_blank">video review of The Bard's Tale</a>.</p>
<blockquote>Hi, guys. Do you remember The Bard's Tale, the epic 1985 role-playing game by Michael Cranford? You should! In any case, perhaps this video will show you why you should care about this classic.</blockquote>
<p>I found it enjoyable, especially seeing the different ports played side by side as well as learning Tim Cain's involvement in the series. Word of warning, though, Matt sings at the end.</p>
<p> </p>

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So how does it compare to Might and Magic, Wizardry and the Goldbox games? Better, worse, similar? How's the difficulty?

Good old MattChatt.

You just witnessed my first CRPG. I never bothered with any before this, but was given a copy of this and tried it out.

And here I am today.

Thanks a lot Bards Tale.... :lol:

About the game: Wizardry was first edition 'Blob' gaming as we know it here at the Codex. The Bards Tale was fairly similar, with a few more bells and whistles in it (Bards Music, more Magic users, and so on). So I guess that would make Bards Tale 'Blob 1.01'.

How does it fair next to other Blobs? Very good for that time frame. It is better than anything that came before it, and for some years afterwards.

JarlFrank said:
So how does it compare to Might and Magic, Wizardry and the Goldbox games? Better, worse, similar? How's the difficulty?

I prefer it to Might and Magic 1 and the early Wizardries. However, I much prefer the Goldbox games to these types of games.

Give me a good Blob game and I am happy. Give me a good Ultima IV/Pool of Radiance and goodbye Bards Tale. It is a good thing I finished it before I discovered Ultima IV (which was the second CRPG I played).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
JarlFrank said:
Hard to say. I think it's nowhere near as good as M&M or Gold Box until you get to Dragon Wars (the "spiritual successor" of the series, though it improved on just about everything and is a great game). As for Wizardry, not up to 6-7 but not as insanely difficult as 2-3. The series generally suffers from complete lack of balance, worse even than MM1-2 or the early Wiz: it can go from challenging but fair to insanely frustrating to cakewalk without warning, in that order. Spells are absurdly powerful (yes I know I always say mages should be overpowered, but this is ridiculous), monsters attack in giant hordes, and combat generally becomes tedious after a while. BT2 is really bad about this. BT3 is probably the best, it's a series of "mini-quests" with a slight adventure game feel to some (you have to find items and figure out when/how to use them to advance) and I remember enjoying it the most. If you decide to play BT1, be advised that you can only save the game in ONE spot in the entire game. IIRC BT2 (and maybe 3) had 2 different ways to save too: save chars and save world. You have to do BOTH otherwise you may end up saving your stats but not your progress, or vice-versa.

Luzur

Good Sir
Sceptic said:
JarlFrank said:
Hard to say. I think it's nowhere near as good as M&M or Gold Box until you get to Dragon Wars (the "spiritual successor" of the series, though it improved on just about everything and is a great game). As for Wizardry, not up to 6-7 but not as insanely difficult as 2-3. The series generally suffers from complete lack of balance, worse even than MM1-2 or the early Wiz: it can go from challenging but fair to insanely frustrating to cakewalk without warning, in that order. Spells are absurdly powerful (yes I know I always say mages should be overpowered, but this is ridiculous), monsters attack in giant hordes, and combat generally becomes tedious after a while. BT2 is really bad about this. BT3 is probably the best, it's a series of "mini-quests" with a slight adventure game feel to some (you have to find items and figure out when/how to use them to advance) and I remember enjoying it the most. If you decide to play BT1, be advised that you can only save the game in ONE spot in the entire game. IIRC BT2 (and maybe 3) had 2 different ways to save too: save chars and save world. You have to do BOTH otherwise you may end up saving your stats but not your progress, or vice-versa.

luckily you came along and posted before me, now i dont have to wall text JarlFrank about the same thing.

Far less intelligent than Wizardry, though word puzzles are very common. Doesn't tend to encourage the planned out cross-classing like Wizardry, except for your casters in BT3 (one needs to be of a specific class to get around to the various hubs/locations, and you get just enough xp to cross to that by completing the 1st dungeon). I also found it just plain less inventive and humorous than the Wizardry games: didn't have the poor documentation-induced mystery of the early ones (e.g. of the WTF IS THE REQUIREMENTS TO CROSS TO FRICKING NINJA FFFUUUUCCKK!K!!!! variety) nor the mixing of sci fi and fantasy of the later ones (with a party who starts firmly in a fantasy realm that starts to encounter sci fi events, with the occasional humourous response - by the 8th one they had to kind of drop that; given that you've just taken a fricken rocket ship to a new planet, you can't really claim to be technology newbies anymore).

So, I'd recommend giving greater priority to the Wizardry series (and generally the 'tech' of the Bards Tale games is about the same as the Wiz game of the same number, give or take a couple, so the later Wiz games definitely surpass the Bards Tale series). But if you've played those and want more blob dungeon-crawling goodness, then Bard's Tale series is a fine continuation.

Edit: having read the posts above, definitely listen to the guy that commented 2 (or was it 3) posts above mine. BT3 was easily the best, and BT1 is very very old tech, and to the point of annoyance with the lack of saving ability. I felt the imbalance was more at the very beginning and end of the games - at the beginning there are no 'safe' zones and you are surrounded by random encounters (triggering even if you stand on the spot in some versions) that greatly outpower your beginning party, whereas at the end there are some absurdly massive fights that are easily skippable or cheesable if you know what you're doing (at the time, it would be considered preparing yourself correctly, with the absurdly large fight being the punishment for screwing up - but by standards of today, or even FO era for that matter, it is overly harsh).

If you decide to play BT1, be advised that you can only save the game in ONE spot in the entire game. IIRC BT2 (and maybe 3) had 2 different ways to save too: save chars and save world. You have to do BOTH otherwise you may end up saving your stats but not your progress, or vice-versa.

Not using a C64 emulator. One keypress and your game is saved.

As for the mobs, I have only one thing to say: 99Berserkers, 99 Berserkers, 99 Berserkers, and 99 Berserkers will your stalwart band choose to F)ight or R)un?

Incidentally, I've never heard of this 'Dragon Wars' thing, yet I considered myself to have grown up with the Wizardry/Bards' Tale era. Is it worth tracking down? Is it still a blob-crawler, or more like RoA? I know nothing about it and am now seriously intrigued. Yes, I'll obviously wiki/google it myself, but some Codex review/feedback would be nice if available.

Azrael the cat said:
Incidentally, I've never heard of this 'Dragon Wars' thing, yet I considered myself to have grown up with the Wizardry/Bards' Tale era. Is it worth tracking down? Is it still a blob-crawler, or more like RoA? I know nothing about it and am now seriously intrigued. Yes, I'll obviously wiki/google it myself, but some Codex review/feedback would be nice if available.

Think Wasteland skill system, then blob interface, mixed in with very difficult late game. A very good game with lots of unique battles, puzzles to solve, and many different ways to complete quests. It does have paragraphs that you need to read from the manual though. This makes some people angry.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Blackadder said:
As for the mobs, I have only one thing to say: 99Berserkers, 99 Berserkers, 99 Berserkers, and 99 Berserkers will your stalwart band choose to F)ight or R)un?
shsp, drbr, mibl
I remember this encounter. :salute:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Luzur said:
luckily you came along and posted before me, now i dont have to wall text JarlFrank about the same thing.
And then I get out-walloftexted by the Master himself (though to be fair he dealt with issues I didn't bring up, so our posts complement each other nicely methinks)

Blackadder said:
99Berserkers, 99 Berserkers, 99 Berserkers, and 99 Berserkers will your stalwart band choose to F)ight or R)un?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Azrael the cat said:
Incidentally, I've never heard of this 'Dragon Wars' thing, yet I considered myself to have grown up with the Wizardry/Bards' Tale era. Is it worth tracking down?
Absofuckinlutely. It's somehow BT meets Gold Box (the paragraphs) with skills. Careful assignment of skill points is critical. There's no easy way to describe how good the game is: everything is just designed so well. The game's challenging but not unfairly so, spells are perfectly balanced, combat is very good, there's a nice automap feature... it's one of those games that just get almost everything right. It was the first in a proposed series that sadly never materialized. From the rest of your post I surmize you'll just love this one.

random_encounter

Educated
JarlFrank said:
Less difficult than the Wizardry series, simpler mechanics, and overall, a solid CRPG series that doesn't mince too many words with what you have to do. For example, it doesn't have the kind of job system that Wizardry can bother you with. Classes tend to remain static, though later titles (II and III) mixed in a few more options for mages (Chronomancer, Geomancer, etc..).

Bard's Tale I was the most straightforward one featuring colored graphics standing in for dungeons and creatures. That was one of its biggest selling points over Wizardry, the bells and whistles. Difficulty-wise,from the party perspective, it was easy to put together a party and die early in the game. Not as brutal as MM1, though, with its spread of buffs and heals with its magic classes. For example, you didn't need gems to cast spells, only points, which greatly reduced the need to hoard anything extra above the basics and were restored at an inn. Storywise, standard "kill the evil wizard" story. Spell system relied on entering a four letter code to cast what you wanted.

Bard's Tale II added in an overworld map and six cities, though the wilderness was just one giant plain and the cities were basically identical to each other outside of names, roads, and the dungeons they featured. Relatively easy to get into (a beginner's dungeon was provided that you could grind through to get up to a decent speed), but the Death Snares were new. These were riddles at the end of specific dungeons hiding part of the "Destiny Wand" you had to recover. Failure to figure out the trap in time kills everyone. Not sure if this is the one that introduced spinners.

Bard's Tale III was, as others pointed above, probably the best in the series both storywise and bells and whistles like. Copy protection was handled with a code wheel (you can find documentation that defeats this if you're getting into it today) and it featured different dimensions with unique monsters, riddles, and a much stronger story than the previous two. Later, combat pit you against hundreds of monsters (the limit was 99 monsters per group, with multiple groups possible in each encounter). Visit Hiroshima and fight SS soldiers on top of everything else later in the game. Thief was also improved in this title, though not necessarily needed to win the final battle (despite being called Thief of Fate). My favorite one of the series.

All three games shared these aspects in common:

1) Sandbox grinding - dungeons could be revisited and cleared out over and over again making leveling relatively easy. Monsters do not automatically scale.

2) Pretty graphics - well, at the time at least, that was a huge selling point over Wizardry's wire-frame dungeons and crude monster visuals. I kind of preferred Wizardry's artsy boxes over the folding album covers Bard's Tale came in, though.

3) Bard brought sound - the Bard's use in all three games was as a useful utility character, at least that's what I used him/her for. As long as they had something to drink, they could give the party decent buffs that were useful early on.

4) Easy to jump into - Wizardry excels at giving the player tons to work with and think through with its class options and party makeup. On the opposite end, the Bard's Tale series keeps things relatively simple. Once you settle on a decent party (two or three fighter types, two mages, one bard, thief), it's pretty much all you will need throughout the game (with the exception of III in which specific mage classes required a little grooming).

Blackadder said:
ZZGO FTW

Azrael the cat said:
This was supposed to technically be Bard's Tale IV, but was transmorphed into Dragon Wars instead. More like a blob-crawler, like the previous Bard's Tales, but with improved mechanics/graphics. I didn't too much care for the bar graph interface they implemented, but the skill system, automap, and the story were solid enough to make it a winner for me. Casting chained dragons as nuclear weapons under lock and key was a nice twist on the usual fantasy.

I thought it was harder to get into than the Bard's Tale series as it was easy to get lost in its world and end up with a garbage build, even if you transferred characters from the Bard's Tale series (not as useful as one might think in this case). While magic flowed freely in the Bard's Tale series (leveling up gave you complete access to a particular level of spells), you had to find the spells you wanted and learn them in Dragon Wars in addition to having the requisite skill type.

This is the one that started using the whole 'paragraph' system that was also seen with Wasteland and a few other games, but you can find them out there if you really want to try it out. Box art was also done by Boris Vallejo if you are a fan of his work. The game also seems to have fallen out of copyright so you can snag it here along with the requisite docs:

http://www.djgallagher.com/games/pc/dra ... nloads.php

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I enjoyed the old series (played all three) but in general wasn't a huge fan of dungeon mapping which a lot of what the game boils down to unless you have a hint book.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Have you noticed the drama in the comments underneath the video ? Apparently there is some disagreement as to who was the main creator of Bards Tale. Bill Heineman (now known as Becky Heineman) claims that he/she did most of the development of BT and that Michael Cranford was a glory hog and he shouldn't have gotten the royalties. On the other hand Cranford says that Bill/Becky was a crazy Hermit that had very little to do with BT1&2.

Right up codex's alley :lol:

ghostdog said:
Have you noticed the drama in the comments underneath the video ? Apparently there is some disagreement as to who was the main creator of Bards Tale. Bill Heineman (now known as Becky Heineman) claims that he/she did most of the development of BT and that Michael Cranford was a glory hog and he shouldn't have gotten the royalties. On the other hand Cranford says that Bill/Becky was a crazy Hermit that had very little to do with BT1&2.

Right up codex's alley :lol:
I'm willing to take Michael's side here as it seems most evidence corresponds with his argument and 'their sort' *spits*, are compulsive liars and rotten at the core.
Due to her love of storing hamburgers in her desk drawers, her friends call her "Burger" (and when they would call for her, she would sometimes respond "Burger").

In April 2001, she began writing novels based on Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, The Terminator, Ace Ventura and Independence Day.
Freak.

dragonfk

Erudite
I was just about to point out the delicious drama, you beat me to it dawg :( .

Zomg

Arbiter
Dan/Dani Bunten also kicking it with the penis removal, those wacky '80s code nerds

Codex keeps it old school in so many ways...

Dan_Bunten_f.jpg

big-colport.jpg

Which is better and why?

DISCUSS!!!

random_encounter

Educated
Well, if Heineman is telling the truth, that would explain some of the steeper difficulty in the second game (someone went nuts with spinners, darkness, anti-magic zones, etc.) along with the use of Death Snares. Interesting drama. And just throwing this in from the manual:

MANUAL BY MICHAEL CRANFORD AND BING GORDON, © 1985 ELECTRONIC ARTS.

MANUAL ILLUSTRATIONS BY AVRIL HARRISON.

Michael Cranford wishes to acknowledge:
the great illustrator David Lowery, for fantastic monster pictures, city buildings and
dungeon walls; my buddy Lawrence Holland, for such great music; the devious Brian
Fargo, for the treacherous design of Harkyn's Castle and Mangar's worst two levels; Bill
Heineman, for data compression routines that allowed me to pack so much graphics and
animation; and the following play-testers who helped this program be its very best: Caren
Edelstein, Jay Patel, Philip Ybarra, Ayman Adham, Carl Ybarra, Mike Easting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom