Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Age of Empires guy to start making CRPGs

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: THQ

Per <A href="http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040722/225332_1.html">this press release</a>, publisher <A href="http://www.thq.com/">THQ</a> is teaming up with <A href="http://www.ironlore.com/">Iron Lore</a> to develop CRPGs.. Well, action ones, but here's the release:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>CALABASAS HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 22, 2004--THQ Inc. (Nasdaq:THQI - News) today announced that it has entered into a publishing agreement with Iron Lore Entertainment for an as-yet unannounced PC action role playing game (RPG) scheduled for release late in calendar 2005. <u>Headed by Brian Sullivan, co-creator of the Age of Empires series, Iron Lore Entertainment is a PC development studio founded in 2000 and based in Maynard, Mass</u>.
<br>
<br>
"The RPG genre is a strategic product category for THQ as we compete more aggressively in the high-end PC market," said Jack Sorensen, executive vice president of worldwide studios, THQ. "Brian led the Age of Empires team to both critical excellence and chart topping global sales through the life of the franchise. We're confident that Iron Lore's design vision and technology will produce a truly compelling RPG title."
<br>
<br>
"Selecting a partner for Iron Lore's debut title meant finding a partner with global brand management expertise, a vision for success, and above all, a commitment to quality," said Brian Sullivan, president of Iron Lore Entertainment. "THQ's strategic position places them in a very elite class and their vision of how to make a great game is perfectly aligned with our own."
<br>
<br>
More details on THQ and Iron Lore Entertainment's upcoming RPG will be revealed in late 2004.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
First <b>Chris Taylor</b>, now <b>Brian Sullivan</b>. How many RTS gurus do we need making CRPGs?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.shacknews.com">Shack News</A>

monkey

Novice
Well, at least he can't do any worse than DS...jeez, what a disappointing game.

monkey

Whipporowill

Erudite
I saw that piece of news of Gamespot, but it contained almost nothing except hyped marketing garbage so I didn't bother posting it. Still, it IS news - I just wished people waited a bit longer into development before announcing a game. Like some info a screenshot or a basic premise or something wouldn't hurt the game in helping building the hype... eh, so what's their point?

Oh, and to answer the question in your newspost, Saint. As many as possible (of course), but then I mean real rpgs and not some rootin-tootin hybrids like DS.

corvax

Augur
on one hand it's good to see more rpg's being developed given the crappy pc gaming situation...however if it turns out to be another "action rpg" then its a different story

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
hussar said:
on one hand it's good to see more rpg's being developed given the crappy pc gaming situation...however if it turns out to be another "action rpg" then its a different story

Read the first line of the press release:

• THQ Inc. (Nasdaq:THQI - News) today announced that it has entered into a publishing agreement with Iron Lore Entertainment for an as-yet unannounced PC action role playing game (RPG)

corvax

Augur
my fault...i sort of ignored that part since pretty much all of the latest games are being labeled as "action-something" ...guess that wont go away anytime soon

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom