Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info DoubleBear: Dead State Q&A

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; DoubleBear Productions

<p>Brian Mitsoda decides to <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1694.0.html" target="_blank">answer YOUR questions</a> concerning Dead State.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>It's once again time for a Q and A with the developers of Dead State. Since we have a lot of new members and people have been curious about systems in the game, here's an official thread to ask the devs your questions about Dead State. We'll keep checking this thread until next Monday, so if you have a question that you absolutely need to know the answer to, this is the week to ask. We'll put the really good ones in our FAQ.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Here are a few samples:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>How many NPC there will be? How many party memberes can go on mission with me? Do you plan party memberes that can&acute;t be used in combat but have another use?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>There will be a lot of NPCs and potential allies. You can take up to three out at a time for a total of 4 people in the party. You can take practically anyone out into combat, though you'll find that many aren't suited to it and that they are better suited to another role at the Shelter.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>How do you guys plan on scaling enemies? By level? By location? Over time? Will it be completely random? Or something else?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Enemies don't scale to your level. More dangerous enemies tend to be encountered over time as you spread out your scavenging range or they do. Sometimes encounters may just be difficult because of the amount of enemies or the layout of the level (area exposes you to attack or provides no easy route of escape if zombies mob you). Dangerous enemies have better stats, equipment, and AI (they won't panic).</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>How much detail can we expect for weapons in the game?&nbsp; Will it be generic "Automatic Pistol"?&nbsp; Or "9mm" vs. ".45"?&nbsp; Or will we see make, models, manufacturers, etc.?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Weapons are broken down by type. For melee weapons, a weapon might be categorized as a "knife" weapon if they are a one-handed bladed weapon. For guns, a weapon would be broken down similarly, except they could also be distinguished by ammo type. The "pistol" category is made up of one-handed guns, but a 9mm uses different ammo than the .38. While we have weapons inspired by real weapons, we don't use any actual models, for legal reasons.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Ask your own questions <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1694.0.html" target="_blank">there</a>.</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1694.0.html">ITS</a></p>

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What's your scripting language? Is it something easily moddable like python was in bloodlines, or something horrific like iescript that is only used because of weidu?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
SCO said:
What's your scripting language? Is it something easily moddable like python was in bloodlines, or something horrific like iescript that is only used because of weidu?

I saw what you did thar :M

Achilles

Arcane
I don't want to get too excited over this game (in case it never sees the light of day) but I just can't help it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Freelance Henchman said:
I'm hoping for a Codex reference in there. Maybe a sequence where you stab zombie moles in a garden or something.

Stab? You should either pop or whack them. Bonus points if they have multiple heads and look slightly phallic.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Why did you left prosper draw this piece of concept art for you?
concept1.jpg

Fens

Ford of the Llies
i especially like the T-Rex arms

the game itself sounds good so far, i'm not a huge zombie fan but i've endured jade empire and i wasn't a fan of anything in that either

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Bros, your hate for a beginner artist is fucking misplaced and retarded.

He may render with the airbrush but I am surprised that he got the faces human looking.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
:roll: I just asked a question. Never said whether the concept art was good or bad.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Just posted my question:

I have a question: If the stated main focus of the game is surviving and constantly maintaining your shelter, as well as keeping everyone alive as much as you can, then what steps have you taken to insure that the game drives towards some kind of conclusion? In other words, does the focus shift at some point into something else so that you won't feel like the whole game was repeating more or less the same thing ad nausuem? I'm not saying something like discovering a cure, but at least something to make you feel like the game didn't just stop arbitrarily when you survive for X number of days, or something similar. Can you answer this without giving spoilers?

Something I've been wondering about for a while.

Silellak

Cipher
Dicksmoker said:
Just posted my question:

I have a question: If the stated main focus of the game is surviving and constantly maintaining your shelter, as well as keeping everyone alive as much as you can, then what steps have you taken to insure that the game drives towards some kind of conclusion? In other words, does the focus shift at some point into something else so that you won't feel like the whole game was repeating more or less the same thing ad nausuem? I'm not saying something like discovering a cure, but at least something to make you feel like the game didn't just stop arbitrarily when you survive for X number of days, or something similar. Can you answer this without giving spoilers?

Good question - I've been curious about that, too.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Dicksmoker said:
Just posted my question:

That's the focus not the goal. The goal does exist and is very logical and fitting.

jazzotron

Liturgist
Can you reveal the big name celebrities who will be providing voice talent?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom