Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News PS: T Available on GoG

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Planescape: Torment

<p>Planescape Torment is now available at <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment?as=1649904300" target="_blank">Good Old Games</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<h4>What's cool about it:</h4>
<ul class="features">
<li>An enthralling story, considered by many to be the best one ever told in a cRPG!</li>
<li>Professional voice acting, superb music, complex and gripping dialogue that covers over 5 000 pages.</li>
<li>Travel through the planes of the enormous and bizarre Planescape universe.</li>
</ul>
<h4>Overview:</h4>
<p>Sigil... A place with gates that lead anywhere in existence, provided you have the proper key. It is a neutral ground and a watering hole for races across the multiverse, all under the watchful shadow of the Lady of Pain, the enigmatic ruler of the city. It is a place where the word is mightier than the sword, where thought defines reality, where belief has the power to reshape worlds and change the laws of physics... <br /><br /> But there's a lot more out there than just Sigil. Get outside the city and there's the planes themselves: the throne of the gods, the battleground of the eternal Blood War, and home to more horrors and wonders than ever existed on any Prime Material World. There's enough crusades, exploits, treasures and mysteries to keep a band of adventurers busy for centuries to come. <br /><br /> Anyways, all it takes is the right door, so step right through!</p>
</blockquote>

Last edited by a moderator:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hm. What is the "Chris Avellone and Colin McComb book"? I already have the soundtrack CD from my uber-edition of the game, but never heard about the book...

syllopsium

Educated
Elwro said:
Hm. What is the "Chris Avellone and Colin McComb book"? I already have the soundtrack CD from my uber-edition of the game, but never heard about the book...
You don't have the book? I do *smug*. It was part of my original big box copy (although I don't have a 'special edition' or a soundtrack).

To be honest, it's not actually that amazing. Don't bother searching it out.

hanssolo

Educated
Awesome! I've always wanted to give Hasbro money for the amazing game they happen to own the rights to.

Elwro

Arcane
Oh, that book. That one the plot of which is related to the game? I also got it, but I had no idea (or forgot) MCA had a part in its creation.

spekkio

Arcane
GoGUser said:
Finally... GOG, this is a wonderful day. Thank you so much for making this classic availlable again.
PST was not available? :?
Also: 9:99? You can have better and less wordy game from their catalogue for this price...

:smug:

Dezzy

Novice
I've never played this game before, but I love a good unique story. How is the combat?
And also just as important, how is the soundtrack, considering we get that as a bonus. :)
How much voice acting is there?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Dezzy said:
I've never played this game before, but I love a good unique story. How is the combat?
And also just as important, how is the soundtrack, considering we get that as a bonus. :)
The combat is an amazing blend between real-time and turnbased, combining the two to make the finest and most intriguing combat in a game so far.
The soundtrack is actually even more breathtaking than the combat and manages to blend with the game and at the same time be able to stand alone as a masterpiece, outshining classic composers such as Beethoven and Bach.
And don't worry about the voice acting, they hired professional voice actors to fully voice the game, which brings life to the game and contributes a lot the the immersion and emotional impact of the game.

bonescraper

Dezzy said:
It's the best game ever. That's all you need to know. Now what are you waiting for? Go get it.

spekkio

Arcane
What Jack wrote.
Plus the story is EXTREMELY unique with a subtle GRIMDARK tone.

Go for it!

Droog-kun

entertainer

Arbiter
The level of scam is incredible in the RPS article about this

They said it couldn’t be done. We’re still not sure how it was done, but we called it. One of the most infamously impossible to release games of all time is now available to play on modern PCs.

like holy fuck

Elwro

Arcane
Well, e.g. they couldn't re-release it in a box for a few years because it was impossible to ascertain who exactly had the license.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
But the difference is that it's the localised version owned by CDP, so they can do fuck all they want with it.

visions

Arcane
Dezzy said:

Combat is similar to other Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gates, Icewind Tales), the encounter design is worse.

Soundtrack is by Mark Morgan, the same guy who did the soundtrack for Fallout, it's quite good and atmospheric for a computer game soundtrack.

You can find examples on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4QINNwR6Nw

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Elwro said:
Oh, that book. That one the plot of which is related to the game? I also got it, but I had no idea (or forgot) MCA had a part in its creation.

No, the book that was officially released as a novelization of the story was a novel written by some unknown guy called Ray Vallese and everyone says it was crap.

Obviously the book they're referring to is the freely distributed novelization by Rhyss Hess, which is basically the game's text written in book format, hence the Chris Avellone and Colin McComb reference.

Another glorious moment where GOG is selling free stuff. :lol:

bonescraper

ghostdog said:
Another glorious moment where GOG is selling free stuff. :lol:
LOL, but that's nothing. They're selling wallpapers and fucking avatars bundled with their games. Fucking scammers!

Deleted member 7219

The cunts. Good job I removed this from a torrent inventory about a year ago. GOG.com aren't getting my money after that stupid stunt they pulled; and anyway, none of the cash will find its way into the pockets of the Black Isle devs. It'll go to Interplay, Atari or whoever else actually owns the rights.

KalosKagathos

Learned
The original 4CD release of Torment is available on my shelf, unbound to any digital distribution service, and will remain there until the discs themselves start to rot. Bet GOG users wish they could claim so themselves. :smug:

Elwro

Arcane
bonescraper said:
Elwro said:
Well, e.g. they couldn't re-release it in a box for a few years because it was impossible to ascertain who exactly had the license.
Um, but it's constantly available in Poland since 1999...
http://www.cdprojekt.pl/game/234/Planescape_Torment
http://www.cdprojekt.pl/game/2925/Legendy_RPG
:retarded:
Nope, it wasn't available for a few years, just as I said. A few years ago CDP triumphantly announced thay had sorted the licensing mess and they put the game back in stores. Before that, for a few years you couldn't legally buy a new copy of PS:T in Polish stores.

edit: I also have the 4 CD release :smug:

Stabwound

Arcane
Mighty Mouse said:
Haha! Paying for games moar than 10 years old! HAHA!
Not to mention giving the money to people that had nothing to do with making the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom