Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4x board games

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I've heard good things about Terraforming Mars and have wanted to play. It's worth to play at least one game and see how it goes.

Scythe. It's basically the opposite of TI when it comes to 4x's. Quick setup, quick games, seemingly simplistic yet it has incredible tactical depth. The eXploration part is rather small, apart from that I guess it qualifies as 4x.
It has become my group's default go-to choice when there's not enough time for a round of Eclipse.

I love this game. I've only played it with my SO, and we've always had a good time. I'd like to play with a group who knows the game. I'm sure it's more intense.

Destroid

Arcane
So, those magnificient bastards I call friends irl decided I had to have a surprise party and a present for my 38th birthday. Like any sane human being would ever rejoice of being 38. What a lousy age, 38.

I've been gifted Terraforming Mars but due to stupid annoyances of life like, having to work, eat, provide for personal hygiene and one very importand Dominions 5 game ongoing, it still lies unopened after almost one week.
I generally don't like worker placement games and non-aleatory games need to be good to keep me entertained for more than a couple games. That said, this one has cards which bring an element of randomness and from what I've been able to see from a quick youtube video, even if it's a stereotypical Eurodork game, there's a strong Ameritrash feel (which I like!).
Imho boardgames need to have flavor, if the rulebook states I'm a corporate cyberagent but all I do is play an auction game for drug deals, muh immershun is broken (I'm looking at you Infamy :argh:)
This one seems like it possesses those sweet immersion juices and a great fluctuation in possible outcomes, due to some cards being quite strong, in the right circumstances.

Any Kodexian bro feels like sharing his monocled opinion, before I open my present and once again think that 38 is a very, very lousy age?

Terraforming Mars is excellent, we've been playing nearly non-stop since I picked it up. Best played with Corporate Era & drafting variant.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Yep, I've read the rules and I find it intriguing. Still haven't read the cards though, I want a virgin experience. I'm probably going to try it this week (If the shipment of protective sleeves I ordered a week ago decides to actually show up :roll: ).

I also misjudged its nature. It's an engine building game more than a worker placement. It has little to do with 4x, sorry for the OT.

Terraforming Mars is excellent

I've read some reviews stating the temperature meter is somewhat too long, and drags the game somehow. What's your opinion about it?

Destroid

Arcane
Yep, I've read the rules and I find it intriguing. Still haven't read the cards though, I want a virgin experience. I'm probably going to try it this week (If the shipment of protective sleeves I ordered a week ago decides to actually show up :roll: ).

I also misjudged its nature. It's an engine building game more than a worker placement. It has little to do with 4x, sorry for the OT.

Terraforming Mars is excellent

I've read some reviews stating the temperature meter is somewhat too long, and drags the game somehow. What's your opinion about it?

Temp is almost always the last to fill but its also the cheapest and by that stage of the game everyone has plenty of cash. In the last couple of turns typically someone will decide it's in their interests to close the game and buy it out.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Space Empires has become my second most played game of all time (the first one was Descent 1st edition: Road To Legend, but it featured campaign plays, and we were in college at that time), with a total of around 100h played already.

One of my friend told me he felt the same was as while playing Starcraft at time :
You have to allocate resources between turtling, building your economy, and early aggression (or you can fake a lot of defenses, and build up your eco behind a wall of decoys if you really feel ballsy).

"Rushes" can be deadly if you are not prepared for them, but it can backfire if you don't manage to convert early aggression into a swift kill or a lasting economic advantage (but we are talking about a 2-3h "rush", here).
Also, like in FTL, there is a lot of technology you want to pick, but picking one you don't need right now can kill you if your defenses and fleet are not strong enough to buy you enough time to leverage these technologies, or if you are forced to reveal them too soon (leaving enough time to your opponent to adapt).

Beowulf

Arcane
There is also "Burning Suns"
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/130134/burning-suns

It plays around 45-60 min per player (after first couple of games), so definitely shorter, than TI for example.
The exploration is so-so, as the galaxy tiles are revealed rather quickly, but it plays more as a tactical game, where you react to changing environment; rather than creating your engine.
The game is set yup in a way, that you have to engage in a conflict with other players, as the options to get VPs are rather limited. So it forces you to seek battles and capture other players' planets.
There is diplomacy in this game, but is not that well thought out, and can be abused with some rules magic.

Other than that it is my 4x board game of choice, as the galaxies are random, and the "race" you play is chosen from 3 components in 10 variations, so it gives you 10*10*10 = 1000 combinations (and of course it makes some of the combinations unbalanced, but it's not that obvious at first).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Here is a session report I posted on BGG for our closest game of Space Empires 4X:
We had an epic 8h back and forth fight the other night, unfortunately, we did not take any picture.
We played with the Blood Brothers rule to make things faster.

We used the following houserules:

Each player starts with 25CP + an amount depending on his empire advantage.
Everyone draws a single Empire Advantage.

We played with the costs printed on the CE cheat sheet, and not the 1.2
blush.gif

Team 1 is:
- Red with House of Speed (25 extra CP bonus)
- Blue (me) with And They Still Carry Swords (no CP bonus)

Team 2 is:
- Green with Ancient Race (15 extra CP bonus)
- Yellow with Gifted Scientists(no CP bonus)

All 6 warp point counters are used.
Green and Red face each other on the left, and Yellow and Blue on the right.

Eco Turn 1 starts badly for me with a blue colony ship and a scout destroyed by a black hole on move turn 3.
On eco turn 2, Red(house of speed) builds a single colony ship and some units, Green goes for pipelines and CS, while Red and yellow go for the standard 3 colony ship + miners (except for the ancient who starts churning out pipelines).

On eco turn 3, I built a boarding ship, 2 MSP and a SY, as my colonies were too far away to be reached by newly produced CS anyway, and I was afraid my yet to be established forward colonies would be under pressure, while Red kept producing units and Green kept producing MSP.
Then after exploring deep space, Red announced that he was house of speed and destroyed a miner while blockading 2 colonies from a surprised Green.

Later on, three Green colonies were destroyed while some static defenses were built on most of the remaining planets.

Some minor engagements between Red and Green took place, but were indecisive.
Red switched his production to colony ships to finish colonizing his own space.

On the right front, I got a few more BD, and eventually filled my home system with Colony ships.

Then Red decided to send his fleet to help me as Green was too heavily entrenched, while a small task force launched a small invasion force on a Green planet in the corner.
However, this task force was cornered by the Green fleet, and soon got destroyed as the corner location made it easy to block its retreat path.
The planet would remain blockaded until the end of the game.

We had planned to take over an alien world, then send our forces against and adjacent Yellow planet, but we had forgotten to research terraformation.

We started with the Yellow planet instead, discovering that he had the Gifted Scientist advantage.
Next turn, we send our combined fleet against the aliens I lost 2 Boarding Ships, but recruited 3 alien ships. I got the technology that halved upkeep cost for both BC and CA (but I had a grand total of zero deployed).

On the left flank, Green managed to recover and started raiding Red planets back, and the battles in the red system ended with a lot of House of Speed ships destroyed, despite being at a crippling economic disadvantage.

I started building Shipyards and static defenses on the 2 planets outside of my home system, while yellow did the same on the planets in front of these.
I assembled a small task force (1 fully loaded transport, 1 BD and 2 scouts) to raid the undefended right flank of the yellow fleet, but he reacted by moving a fleet in a nebula, in position to intercept mine, and dispatched a raiding fleet of his own on my left flank, destroying one of my MS pipelines.

I send the bulk of my fleet to intercept it, hoping to capture whatever was in it.
It happened to be 2 DD. I was unable to capture them despite having 4 BD, so I had to destroy them before they could escape.

On the left flank, things got ugly and House of Speed was soon 2 colonies down after a very heavy toll. I dispatched 2 BD to help while the Red Flagship moved back home to assist in the defense of the system.

On the Right flank, things stagnated as we both turtled.
I send my fleet against one of the rear planet of yellow, but I had not enough marines to take out the 6 heavy infantry there, and could not defeat the base with my BD heavy fleet, so I had to retreat.

As my BD and scouts arrived to assist Red, we were able to push Green back (he retreated for fear of losing ships to my BD), and Red took a warp point to get closer to the action.

Even though we had a stellar start(mostly thanks to House of Speed Raiding), the end game looked grim as our economy was not much better than theirs, but we were beginning to fall behind tech wise.

I upgraded everything to Move 4, and built a CA with Exploration 2 to be able to cover my two planets, and my scout pickets with my main fleet.

Then we decided to move against Green again. We both hit his main fleet, and I was able to capture the Green flagship before the Green fleet could retreat.

Yellow went through the warp point, and sent his new carrier fleet against my BD and scouts (without point defense) who lagged behind.
I was able to board his flagship too, but most of my ships in Red space got destroyed in the process, including my new Flagship (we were still at 3 flagships vs 0!), and I was able to retreat a single BD.

We decided to take some risks to end the game:
Yellow planets were too heavily defended, but there was a "road" between the warp point and his home world with an undefended planet, right behind his main force.
However, we had to get here before he could reinforce the planet, so we needed to blockade his homeworld on move turn 3. I had 2 transports loaded with 12 marines to take over the homeworld.

Fuzzy recollection of the situation at this time.

On move turn 2

We sent our fleets here:
Green sent his fast fleet on the undefended planet next to his homeworld on L9, while I send mine adjacent to it on L8, so that I could support it with Exploration 2.
I also send 2 ships to the black hole to prevent any reinforcement to get from K8 to the HW (they both made it!).

However, the Yellow home fleet attacked the Red fleet on L9, while a small token force attacked my fleet on L8 to prevent me from assisting the Red fleet with explo 2.
During this time, the yellow CV attack fleet destroyed the remnants of my fleet in the Red sector, alongside the newly built Red BB and BC, and got in range of Red Homeworld.

The red fleet was destroyed, while I was unable to assist.
For move 3, I sent a desperate attack with 3 scouts and 3 alien ships through the black hole against the Yellow homeworld, but only 2 scouts and 2 alien ships made it here.
During this time, my fleet moved to L9 and crushed the yellow carrier fleet here with my new point defense scouts.

The Red fleet gets destroyed by the yellow fleet in L9 while a lone CA stalls the Blue Fleet in L8 during Turn 2. On turn 3, the whole frontier fleet moves to the Yellow homeworld through the black hole, while the main fleet destroys the Yellow one on L8.

Everything now depended on the battle for the Yellow homeworld:
3 shipyards and 3 attacking ships were destroyed.
The B6-2 alien ship was alone against the last Shipyard.
After several rounds of missed shots from both side, the shipyard eventually destroyed the alien ship, so there would be no blockade.

Right after that, the Yellow attack fleet attacked Red homeworld, but failed to raze it (it inflicted 3 damage).

As Yellow had a single SY left, he could not easily reinforce his HW. He could build ground forces, but he was not sure the planet would resist the bombing (I had approached reinforcements in front of the black hole).

We both put everything we could for the turn order bid: The Green/Yellow alliance won it with 112 vs 105 for us! It was the most expensive turn order bid ever.
The upside was that the yellow homeworld was not reinforced.

Yellow started bombing the red homeworld and destroyed it before my marines (I had 6 more in J9 in 2 more Transports equipped with drop pods ready to land).

Even though our side has surrendered after the destruction of the red homeworld, my fleet went against the yellow homeworld, but the bombing damage was minimal (1 hit).
However, as both new transports managed to go through the black hole, the 18 angry marines units made short work of the 20 militia protecting the homeworld. But it was too late to matter, as the order to cease fire had been given, and control was returned to the Yellow Empire.

Overall, it was a very hectic game, and the closest we could hope for.

House of Speed really ended up being a double edged sword: with a very strong early game, but a horrible attrition rate late game once its opponents had better movement techs, and reliable ships.

We started in great position, but our economic advantage was not strong enough to let us be on par techwise (Yellow had move 5 and Ship size 6 when the game ended).
I should not have committed to BD so early, as they had not enough target to convert on our side, and were inept at taking fixed defenses.

However, sending them to assist Red against Green was great, as it would force Green to choose between hitting the softer House of Speed ships, or risking the capture of his own units.

We basically lost the game on a few dice rolls in the end, but it was to be expected as we were roughly tied. It was an epic experience nevertheless.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I'm appalled by the lack of fantasy 4X. How is Runewars? The combat system sounded as uninteresting as Warrior Kings, which I hated, but It looks like it features all the elements of 4X.
Have you found a good one?
Heroes of Air, Land and sea sounds promising, but it is not out yet (and many KS are not as good as advertised!).
Edit: It seems a pretty gamey VP chase, though, which may be a problem or not.

I think Warparty is the closest from the fantasy 4x I am looking for, and I think it could easily be modded into something with a fog of war. But there is no more exploration than in Conquest of Nerath (your heroes can explore dungeons and that's about it).

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Theres also the legendary Dune boardgame

Which is getting a reprint in august.
That is great.
I thought the IP disputes over this one were a hopeless mess.
Gale Force Nine’s John-Paul Brisigotti “We wanted to do something classic and have the original game [from] Peter Olotka and the guys that wrote the original Dune game,” he said. “The game is great, it was great in ’78 and still great today–it needs a graphic update… But we’ve basically taken the Avalon Hill game and Peter and the guys updated the rules to modernize them a little, but fundamentally that classic game will be out in the summer, probably in August.”

modernize them a little << That could end up badly(even though some of the possible alliances might require some balancing)...

https://geekandsundry.com/the-classic-dune-board-game-is-getting-a-reprint-this-summer/

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Here is my last session report of Space EMpires 4x. We played it over 4 Vassal sessions (which is why I could get a few screenshots afterwards, despite forgetting to log things).

Game 4: A new Hope

We played a 2v2 game with both expansions, but without a Replicator player, and our usual house rules. It was the 4th game of our coronavirus Vassal games, and it involved titans vs fighters, hence the name of the thread.

Empireadvantages point bonus variantl: all alien empire advantages start with a bonus CP cost depending on the card, fixed by the average of our given scores,
DD cost 8, BC cost 14,
advanced construction researched in any order. Flagships cannot enter opponent home system

We also used our empire advantage tweaks.

Setup was also
Alternate-2v2-map-setups with 3 ranks of deep space between allies.

Our last houserules was that titans cost 36 and require:
Tractor Beams and Projector shield to be built.

I was Blue with Warrior race (modded as: +1 ATT when attacking, -2 Tactics when defending), my ally was Red with Hivemind.

I didn't really know which tech path I would choose, I wanted to go with Raider if possible (to leverage the ATT bonus, as I could pick my fights) so I started with DEF, Exploration and Military Academy (my budget was 53 (max leftover you are allowed before the game is 10).

I got the most compact core I have ever seen in a SE4X game: No planet on the
last row, at all.

We quickly explored the deepspace in front of our home systems. We found both the
WP1 and WP2 on this line.

My ally and I both started with a lot of MSP.
I invested in movement tech, and built 6 Scouts with M4 after I was done
with pipelines, and I parked them on the revealed WP1 while my flagship had
joined with my ally.
Our opponents explored the deepspace on the border of their homesystem,
without seeming to find a way through.

Then on turn 5, Yellow revealed a third WP1 with his flagship and jumped on my
newly built scouts, detroying them all with his flagship, 2 BC, 2 CA, and his starting
scouts.

As we we put 2 WP1 and 2 WP2 on the board every time, I didn't think it was
possible. We had forgotten there were 3 of each WP counters (we play with 2 on the tabletop version).

This left us in a very bad position:
I had no fleet left to defend the road to my homeworld, and my flagship and 2
remaining scouts were out of position to do anything.

Turn 6:
The reasonable options to deal with this fleet were to build Boarding ships,
Fighters, or mines, but I would not have enough time to build a critical mass
of BD or F to defend my planets this turn, so we opted for mines, while my
ally would catch up with ship size and build a few CA.
I also build a base on Eden.

But then, at the second move of the next turn, Green revealed he was House of
speed, and instead of going for my core, they both sent their fleet on our
exploration fleet (2 flagships, 1 pirate and 5 scouts).
They focus fire on the Red Flagship which is destroyed early in the battle. My
flagship manages to retreat with a pirate.

This was the next of a series of devastating crushing blows...
Here is situation at the end of turn 6, and my eco.

I decided to research tactics so that my destroyers would fire first against
House of Speed, and I purchase 6 DD, and a base to protect Rigel(Right of the
black hole) and close my
left flank.

Turn 7:
Now that their fleets are focused on my ally, delivering mines is a bit
tricky, as my fleets have move 4, having a token move at move 1 would give it
away.

So I use my mines to alternate between blocking C5/C6, before parking them in
the Asteroids field left of the red planets.
My ally extends his network of MSP here, and I ship a stack of mines(2) to Athos.
A small probing raid is launched against Cerberus, their fleet cannot take out
the base, but one screened house of speed dropship drops 3 heavy infantries
and 3 infantries on the ground.
Luckily, the Hivemind militia supported by a single infantry regiment manages to repel
them (we all were unaware that hivemind bonus worked on ground too, which
eventually made them 6-1, against the heavy infantries 4-2).

Some House of Speed ships go on the left side. I send a small detachment here
to intercept them (in case they decide to go through the Asteroids or the
black hole).

But the combined yellow and green fleets move to D9, threatening both Cerberus
and Athos.

We launch an attack with 6 CA and my flagship against their forces in D9.
The yellow flagship had been converted to an advanced flagship, equiped with
second salvoes.
The green CA crews are not up to the task, and we have to retreat to Athos,
taking heavy losses.

Fortunately, they follow to Athos, and one BC and the advanced flagship blow
up on mines, giving our forces, supported by a base, a decisive edge, and their combined fleet is
forced to retreat.
I decide to resume researching move techs to raid their planets, and get move level 5.

Turn 8:
Our initial pursuits after the battle of Athos goes wrong, but we end up
managing to detroy a few remaining BC and CA.
I regroup my fleets in the Asteroids next to the central Warp Point, and I
extend my network of MSP here.
For the eco, I purchase move tech 6

Turn 9:
My fleet leaves the Asteroids for H6,
while I leave one blocker in G5 and G6 to slow down pursuers.
My reinforcements go to E4 and F5 (in the asteroids).
One of my delaying DD gets destroyed in G6, but the other ones manages to fend
off its attackers who are surprisingly very few (it appears most of the ships
on the warp point were sweepers.
My 2 DD reinforcing from Eden join the attack against Pleiades(I5), and my 4 DD from the
HW jump through the black hole (without slingshot). 3 of them explode.
A single scout is left in H6 to delay the opposing fleet.

The shipyards on Pleiades are destroyed, along with the Point Defense Scouts sent from the
green homeworld and the colony is razed. I leave a
scout in H6 to delay their fleet again. The Green fleet, supported by a yellow
dreadnought is on my tail, and kills my blocked in H6.
For the last move of the turn, I send all of my fleet to Pollux, and a single
DD to Sirius to blockade the planet and prevent the construction of a base
here. The green fleet can catch me on Pollux, but without the supporting
yellow DN, I would make short work of it.

The yellow fleet moves back to the Warp point, to regroup with reinforcements.
(that includes a bunch of green sweepers, and what we expect to be a Titan).

A lone house of speed DD successfully bombs Fionn (NE corner of the map)
twice.

We managed to inflict moderate economic damage against green, and I have 11 DD
in range of his homeworld.
We expect him to have 4 SY only, and an infantry.

However, if their fleet Beeline for my homeworld, I won't be able to stop a
titan...
I build fighters to stand a chance against his probable titan, while my ally
spends everything in turn order bid.

Turn 10: All in
We don't think we can stop a direct assault on my homeworld, even though I can
buy a turn of respite by holding Eden against Green alone (yellow only has
movement 2 at this stage, so their only chance to strike at my HW early would
be to take Eden on move 2, which is highly unlikely).

If their pursuing fleet engage mine early on, my fleet will be too battered to
assault the green homeworld.

So we spend all the Red CP on Initiative.
But they spend 2. So we overspent them by 57 CP...

I launch the offensive on the green homeworld. Unfortunately, there were more
shipyards than expected (7), supported by a base and 3 Destroyers. I manage to destroy all
shipyards and destroyers, but the base prevails in the end and destroys the
last DD after the last shipyard is detroyed.
Green and Yellow redirect their center combined fleet against my red ally once
again.

We manage to slow them down and avoid losing any planet by sacrificing a few ships to
block the way, including my elite Flagship, sadly.

However, Cerberus falls on the beginning of the next turn.
The combined enemy fleet doesn't push towards the red homeworld bot goes to
the right to attack the planets on the right. Several Red cruisers are
sacrificed to slow down the reinforcing titans, and I manage to isolate and
destroy one with my fighters, while the supporting green Point defense
supports are cut off (they were sent raiding the red planet of Sheldon in the corner).
My surviving 4 fighters are jumped on by 2 titans and the green
flagship.
I manage to destroy the flagship before retreating with a single fighter (now
elite), and 2 CV, but we lose initiative, and my surviving fighter is
destroyed by the opposing titan.

My reinforcements (6 brand new fighter squadrons and 2 CV) are dispatched to
support Red. I research move tech 7 so that they can get there on move 2.
Athos, close to the red HW falls and is bombarded into oblivion (it has not
been turned into an asteroid field to make the path to the red homeworld
shorter), and the
combined green and yellow fleet launches an attack on the red homeworld. Our
12 fighters supported by base manage to destroy the 2 titans and their point
defense escort.
There is only one fighter squadron left, led by a promising pilot named
Skywalker.

I split my new units between destroyers, to raid the Green worlds, and Fighters
to help Red defend.

A new wave of 2 titans is repelled by our valiant fighter squadrons, but not
before they destroy 2 more red colonies, and the skywalker squadron.

While Red focuses on improving his fighters, I gather the largest invasion
army ever since in this galactic war, and take off with 6 Transports, 2 Grav
armored corps, 6 infantry corps, and 6 marine corps.
My reasoning is that my Transports 2 on attack would be strong enough to destroy
Green Scouts and destroyers, so I don't need any other support ship:
Against DD, I would attack at 1+1 for Warrior race, + 1 Attack Tech vs 1 Def
Tech - 2 House of speed malus, so I would hit on 4-, while the house of speed
DD would hit me on 2-
That is a huge advantage for utility ships.
I manage to destroy 4 House of speed destroyers this way, but my invasion
fleet is sent without proper scouting and is destroyed after entering a
minefield on H9, between the supernova and the blackhole, as the house of Speed Scouts destroy the surviving 2 transports.

So much for the invasion fleet...
Meanwhile, the Red CV fleet supported by a lone fighter squadron of mine
(my carrier fleets end a lot of battles with 1 remaining fighter) plays cat
and mouse with the yellow titans.

I launch a new wave against Green, this time sending :
2 CVs, 4 fighters
6 DD

All manage to get through the blackhole unharmed

A single yellow titan is sent back to guard Pleiades while the green forces
regroup with the titans in the nebula.
The titan is dealt with by the CV group and its destroyers (the
opponents didn't know that there was a reinforced CV group).
Once again, I end the battle with a single surviving fighter squadron.

Note that the yellow and green units have been revealed in the screenshot to
make it easier to understand for the viewer.
Meanwhile, we decide to pull our Cv group away from the green+yemmpw fmeet,
because we assume they have sufficient point defense to destroy our 7 fighter
squadrons, I re establish the
MSP highway to the Green homeworld so that we can have the option to strike
this turn with my fresh reinforcements.

On turn 16, we know that Green has 4 SY split between Dakara, Castor and Bajor
(from what we saw earlier as reinforcements).
We suspect that Bajor has 2, and the other have 1.
He can either build mines or a fleet. Mines would make it difficult to protect
all 3 planets at once as I don't have any high value target left (and he
cannot easily shuffle them around).

Green seizes initiative, and launches a depserate counter attack on Pleiades.
He manages to finish my fighters, and kill a few DD, but his fleet is
obliterated.
The combined green/yellow fleet re-enters Warp Point 2.

There is not much on the way between my fleet and the green, or yellow
homeworld, but yellow could easily slow us down if he has a few combat capable
units to use as speed bumps.

Our CV fleet hides in the asteroids to prevent them from hitting us, while having options
to raid the planet of Valhalla, or pull back towards our own systems while my
attack fleet destroy the shipyard over caster and bombard the planet (down to
1).
My 5 reinforcing DD rush towards the asteroid field near warp point 2.
The comined yellow green fleet reunits with the newly built titan on warp
point 1 and doesn't try to protect Valhalla.

Red sends a Scout in E10 to slow them down.
Our carrier fleet moves to Valhalla and destroys the colony there.
I send a DD to G10 through the Warp point 2 to prevent them from catching our CV fleet over Valhalla.
My raiding fleet leaves Green space and bombards Benden into oblivion, while
my frehs reinforcements detroy the shipyards over Bajor (losing 3 DD in the
provess).
The bombardment of Bajor is a complete failure

They advance their combined fleet to E10 where the single red Scout engage in a
hopeless delaying action.

The DD in G10 is moved in front of them in D10 to slow them down so that my reinforcements can reach the red homeworld in time on the next turn.
We then move the Raiding fleet and my surviving CV and fighter from the CV
fleet to the yellow homeworld. we suspect we will be
repelled by a base or a titan, but destroying the shipyards there would allow
red to finish the job at the beginning of the next turn, without letting
Yellow rebuild.

the Red CV are too slow to reach it, and bombard the colony on Xi.
The colony is completely destroyed.

To our surprise, there is neither a base nor a titan on the Yellow homeworld.
The shipyard is destroyed with minimal losses on our side (the fighter even
survives the battle!), and the homeworld is destroyed in the following
bombardment. Here are the survivors of the last battle (opposing forces were 5 shipyards):

The good guys prevail after an exhausting 16 turns war, a few billions civilians lost, 6 death stars destroyed, and countless fighters lost.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Hi guys!

Star Trek: Ascendancy is a wonderful game and you should all play it. It requires a few expansions to add more players (there are only 3 races in the box, because each race's ships are the ships from the shows) and each race plays to how you think they would.

The Federation focuses on friendship and diplomacy and can literally go "nah bro join us" to other player's colonies.
The Romulans are sneaky fuckers, can start fights, cloak and run away, milk planets for money.
The Klingons Qapla' batlh je! Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!!!!

Then you have the expansion races:
The Ferengi do better by making trade deals. Ferengi trade deals are awesome, and ferengi can literally buy victory points.
The Cardassians are imperialists, see Japan or Great Britain. You need to keep a ship in orbit to make "production" from your colonies, because otherwise the people rebel. Features cards like "labor camps" and worse! There's a houserule at my table that if the Cardies take bajor and hold it to the end of the game, they win.
The Andorians and the Vulcans i DON'T know yet, I haven't had a chance to play as em.

There's also:

The Borg: Another expansion where the borg appear from a transwarp hub and have an AI deck. They get +1 shield each turn in combat and can become invincible, only the Klingons (and only a shitload of them) can fight them forever, because if you haven't killed the borg in 6 combat rounds it's impossible to damage them for that round of combat (klingons have a racial ability that a 6 on the combat die always counts as a hit regardless of shielding or sanity or logic)

How does the game play?
You each start with 3 ships, some resources depending on your starting rules variants, and 1 home planet. You open up warp lanes (placing them on the board or table) draw a card and a planet and try to resolve the issue. These range from "Oh shit its the crystalline entity, roll X or lose your ship and the planet is also destroyed" to anything else, from free planets to nightmarish hellzones to pre-warp civilizations to anything you can imagine from the show. There's literally references to ENT, TNG, TOS, VOY, DS9 and so on.

Colonies cost a lot, but then every turn they start producing mad loots. Production buys ships, culture can be used to form colonies and they can be spent to buy victory points(ferengi can also just buy victory points with production) and you need 5 to win. There's also research which can be spent on research projects to make your guys even more bullshit or to upgrade weapons and shields as a general rule. You can take as many actions as you have order tokens and you get more by buying victory points and some research projects. You can warp farther with more victory points too and all kinds of shit. You can start as a little pissant civilization on round one and by round 6 you're literally warping 20+ ships onto a person's homeworld (conquer three homeworlds and hold them for a turn and you win) and nuking it frrom orbit, soloing borg cubes, all kinds of kooky shit.

Star Trek Ascendancy is Twilight Imperium for trek fans and people that actually like board games at all

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Space Empires 4X is now free to play on Boardgame arena.
The module still lacks the advanced rules (half of them are not implemented), but the basic rules work just fine. I strongly recommend the advanced rules, as they offer alternate tech path (cloaking/fighters/mines and their counters). Without these, the only tech path is ship size.
The UI is pretty good, and I recommend playing a few games with basic rules first anyway.
As I said a few years earlier, Space Empires 4X is one of the best 4X because almost everything is hidden (fleet composition, tech path).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom