Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

5 years after release codex GOTY The Witcher 3 breaks its all times user peak.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Bitch please, there are significant differences. Warhammer was always quirky, its rickety structures refusing to collapse and defying gravity by the power of the Warp alone. The Imperial fashion was firmly in the early renaissance, and in recent years it has developed a steampunk aesthetic to boot. Contrast that with firmly realistic medieval architecture of the Witcher series, and its early-to-high medieval armours and clothing.

Semiurge

Cipher
TW1 - Very enjoyable RPG but requires significant effort to enjoy because of the terribly dull combat, and brick wall that is the swamp level. But it's strength lies in making you feel like a Monster Hunter, with creation & application of potions, traps & oil etc, and that is spot on.

I enjoy the swamp area and brickmaker's village Insmouth. It has good ambiance, inhuman wailing in the distance and the gurgling of swamp gasses put you at unease. Lots of points of interest to discover, including the cute bloedzuigers and green dryad bush.

janior

Arcane
Patron
TW1 - Very enjoyable RPG but requires significant effort to enjoy because of the terribly dull combat, and brick wall that is the swamp level. But it's strength lies in making you feel like a Monster Hunter, with creation & application of potions, traps & oil etc, and that is spot on.

I enjoy the swamp area and brickmaker's village Insmouth. It has good ambiance, inhuman wailing in the distance and the gurgling of swamp gasses put you at unease. Lots of points of interest to discover, including the cute bloedzuigers and green dryad bush.
ur mum is from the swamp

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

TBH, Falksi might mean the obviously rushed swamp from Act V.

Semiurge

Cipher

ur mum is from the swamp

This is yours, I presume?

maxresdefault.jpg

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
And I don't really share your opinion on TW1's gameplay whatsoever. The only thing I liked about it was the dice. That's pretty much it.
TW1 alchemy is the best in the series and it isn't even close.
You know what else was awesome about TW1? You had to actually read books and do research on what you were fighting to learn how to fight it. Obviously this aspect was never going to stay in the games if they wanted mass appeal to casuals, but it really made you feel like a monster hunter.

Harthwain

Magister
TW1 alchemy is the best in the series and it isn't even close. You know what else was awesome about TW1? You had to actually read books and do research on what you were fighting to learn how to fight it. Obviously this aspect was never going to stay in the games if they wanted mass appeal to casuals, but it really made you feel like a monster hunter.
I agree, but sadly it was marred by uninteresting combat itself.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Yeah, no one can understand why people care to play quality video games using a cool fantasy setting... It is very strange indeed. Why those people don't play the indy trash you people are peddling, or re-playing the 90s obsolete isometric games? I mean, don't these guys have 4300000 IQs like you spergs?

ekrolo2

Learned
And I don't really share your opinion on TW1's gameplay whatsoever. The only thing I liked about it was the dice. That's pretty much it.
You know what else was awesome about TW1? You had to actually read books and do research on what you were fighting to learn how to fight it. Obviously this aspect was never going to stay in the games if they wanted mass appeal to casuals, but it really made you feel like a monster hunter.
Eh, this aspect wouldn't even make sense for 3. By 3s point, Geralt remembers everything he's done in his life whereas he was an amnesiac in the first two so you could handwave why he needs a refresher course in those. In 3, it really wouldn't make any sense for him to read a book so he could fight a nekker or endrega.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Eh, this aspect wouldn't even make sense for 3. By 3s point, Geralt remembers everything he's done in his life whereas he was an amnesiac in the first two so you could handwave why he needs a refresher course in those. In 3, it really wouldn't make any sense for him to read a book so he could fight a nekker or endrega.
Well, that's true enough, but it was still fun in TW1.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I love the concept, it's very immersive. However it's not like you have to read and follow directions or anything, it just ticks a box like opening a book to move a quest to the next stage. Still, we need more of those pointless but immersive aspects IMO, as it makes the world feel more real. Though it also makes sense that once Geralt gets his memory back he already knows about most monsters.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I remember similar thing in VTMB: given quest, I go to theater to kill gargoyle. I shoot, I slash, but this bastard has insane resistances to all of that. I remember that I saw book on thaumaturgical creatures at Strauss place. I check it, and book says that gargoyles are created by Tremere. I ask Staruss for advice, he says: bashing weapons (which makes sense - you are quite stupid if you try to kill stone creature with sword (hi, Arcanum' golems!)). Then gargoyle dies to baseball bat. Quality stuff.

Frozen

Arcane
Same will happened when season 2 comes out. You will see spike in playing. Middle aged women need that Cavill fix.

Witcher 3: The ultimate game for desperate housewives.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom