Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview Omega Syndrome Q&A

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Omega Syndrome

Our interview with David Moffatt, author of Omega Syndrome. It's that nifty shareware CRPG with an eerie aliens on Earth plot and a turn based combat system.

1.) Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? Your background with CRPGs? Why you decided to make one?

I am a programmer by trade and my passion is programming CRPGs. I don't play CRPGs these days as I spend all of my spare time working on OS. As to my background with CRPGs I have only played a few: Wasteland, Ultima 7 & 8, Fallout 1 & 2 and Baldurs Gate. Of those games my favorites are Ultima 7 and Fallout. The game that influenced me most in terms of game play is Fallout. The game that influenced me most in terms of game engine creation is Baldurs Gate.

Several years ago I stopped playing computer games, as I no longer found them fun or interesting. At the time I thought I had grown out of them, but then I discovered Fallout and really enjoyed playing it. After the Fallout experience I realized I hadn't grown out of computer games at all, its just that very few great CRPGs are ever made. So instead of complaining about the lack of great games, I decided to learn how to make my own computer games and The Omega Syndrome is the result of those efforts.​

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Not all the way. He's left many things out like the non-combat skills, Charisma, etc. It's a LOT like Fallout, it's just lighter in some notable areas.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
SPEIAL doesn't have the same ring to it though. It's essentially a futuristic dungeon crawler then? I just love the fact that he's taken the name for the protagonist from The Simpsons, so I'll definitely check this out. Besides, it's turn-based and that must be encourage, non?

Greenskin13

Erudite
I haven't worn a garter since Nixon conceded.

Without the charisma, they can call it the ALE SIP engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom