Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Gamer's Click on Christmas buying lists

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Neverwinter Nights

<A href="http://www.gamersclick.com/">Gamer's Click</a> has posted their <a href="http://www.gamersclick.com/editorial.cfm?p=v&id=1066">picks for Christmas buying</a>, including <a href="http://www.dungeonsiege.com/">Dungeon Siege</a>, <A href="http://icewind2.blackisle.com">Icewind Dale 2</a>, <a href="http://www.myfreedomforce.com/">Freedom Force</a>, and <a href="http://nwn.bioware.com">Neverwinter Nights</a>. Here's what they say about <a href="http://nwn.bioware.com">NWN</a>:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Neverwinter Nights
<br>
<br>
<i>(Role-Playing)</i></b> Our Editor-in-Chief's personal pick for "Game of the Year," Bioware's latest title is a role-playing game like never before. Whether or not this game has adequately captured the "feel" of tabletop RPGs is debatable, <u>but that this game has totally changed the face of computer games is not.</u> A competent, if not great, campaign shows off the powerful editor included with the game, and the ability to act as a Dungeon Master in your own (or someone else's) custom-made module gives you more control over the action than has ever been possible in a PC game before. Couple this with a very active mod community and <u>phenomenal support from the developer</u>, and the adventures available with this game are literally uncountable. <u>Neverwinter Nights is absolutely a must-have for anyone who's ever enjoyed an RPG on the PC before.</u></blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Hell, I probably could have just underlined the whole thing. <i>Literally uncountable</i>? Given there's a finite number of them, the only reason they'd be <i>literally</i> uncountable would be if their editor can only count so high.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href="http://www.ve3d.com">VoodooExtreme</a>.

Spazmo

Erudite
Now, I dislike NWN as much as the next guy, and I agree that it's ridiculous that it's getting all this acclaim. But is it really necessary to track down every single website out there that praises NWN and then insult the game? It seems like half the news updates are about someone liking NWN and Saint_P saying that they're dumb for liking NWN. I agree with you wholeheartedly, but give it a rest, willya?

Calis

Pensionado
Spazmo said:
Now, I dislike NWN as much as the next guy, and I agree that it's ridiculous that it's getting all this acclaim. But is it really necessary to track down every single website out there that praises NWN and then insult the game? It seems like half the news updates are about someone liking NWN and Saint_P saying that they're dumb for liking NWN. I agree with you wholeheartedly, but give it a rest, willya?
No, no, no. You're getting it all wrong. The aim of those posts isn't to point out the lameness that is the NWN SP campaign, but to point out the stupidity of most gaming-related websites out there, providing our readers with a nice frame of reference for their gaming content needs! I'm entirely OK with someone enjoying NWN. If you enjoyed NWN, good for you! That's 60 bucks well-spent!
However, you have to agree that the game provides one with a REALLY good way to see whether or not a certain reviewer has even the tiniest bit of insight in game development. Claims as the ones in the underlined paragraph are simply ludicrous. I've made a few botchups in my past career as News and Content Monkey, but none have been as obviously ignorant as the ones that get posted on certain sites. NWN is the kind of game that draws out this kind of bad journalism, which is why it makes for a perfect game for this kind of news postin'.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:

Let us check the hype in this paragraph..

• NWN totally changed the face of PC games, this is not debatable
  • The campaign is competent, if not great
  • DM mode gives you more control over the action than has ever been seen before.
  • Phenomenal support by BioWare
  • Infinite modules now available.
  • If you've ever enjoyed an RPG, NWN is a must have.

And there's no need to point out exactly what's wrong with this?

The rebuttle..

• It very much is debatable how much it changed PC gaming.
  • The campaign, most assuredly, is not even remotely competent.
  • Vampire had a DM mode very much like NWN had, and UO shards have a lot of the same control features.
  • This the same BioWare that threatens to ban people for submitting bugs publically?
  • Infinite modules is impossible since the game has only been out six months. The fact he also said, literally makes this even more pathetic.
  • I know a hell of a lot of people who are RPG enthusiasts that hated NWN.

There, get the point? It's anti-hype, especially when that hype is founded on downright poppycock. :)

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
QUOTE"I know a hell of a lot of people who are RPG enthusiasts that hated NWN. "QUOTE

Aribeth SUCKS .
NWN SUCKS .
60 euro i payed for it .

The editor is good but since you are not payed to mod it the campain must be great in order to " suck you in "

The campain SUCKED

As for the hype not only its good public relationship for the website but also a steady stream of news

a) Lame kid a made module rated 5/10
b) Good sucker adult spend 10 time as much time and made good module rated 8/10
Next week another 2 modules to report
Blahhhh
Next week blahhhh

DIABLO 2 story was MUCH better than NWN single campain story.
and Diablo 2 story was not great was it ?

And the game was hyped so much !!!

I felt cheated when i played that piece of crap.

Any website that praises this piece of crap loses much credibility in my eyes .

I would love it if Saint_Proverbius compiled a list of sites that praises this piece of crap hypewere and put it somewhere in his site so that i can avoid reading those sites for reviews in the future.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Now i am not totally against it but .

The editor is great imuch better that the not so good tools that are included in Arcanum.

But if they want free quality modding with such a crappy single player story they can forget it .Most harc core fanboys will be insulted by such a crappy single player "Aribeth" campain.

They want QUALITY modules now ?
A smart move would be to pay the fans .
Every month contest
Best module gets $1000 second $200 8 more get $100 each .

Contest running for 2 years it would cost them $48000 for 2 years

And it would silence 90 % of all critics

About their cut in 4000 games .

But they are simply not smart enough to do this.

Or mayby they actually believe what those website say about the greatness of their crapware.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
NWN was pathetic. These people are either in a state of denial over that fact, or they are truly idiotic.
That does not, however, demand full coverage of this idiocy. It seems that, often, RPG Codex is a sight for people who hate NWN instead of people who enjoy "hardcore" RPGs.
Could we just drop the subject soon? I realize that its popularity is a disgrace to Hardcore kind, but that does not justify this.
There are no new arguments, so can we just drop it?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Constipated Craprunner said:

There are always new arguments, because BioWare enevitably pulls something new like telling people in the KotOR chat that the game will be turn based like NWN was. :roll:

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Constipated Craprunner said:

There are always new arguments, because BioWare enevitably pulls something new like telling people in the KotOR chat that the game will be turn based like NWN was. :roll:

LOL :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom