Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

Deleted member 11480

-

Last edited by a moderator:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd put a :smug: face as it's what I said here long ago that it would a third person, Ass Creed acrobatics style turd, ....but it's nothing that I'm happy about.

Everything good dies in the end....

:tears:

wa0chh.jpg

From the TTLG forums is something I could have written:

* Movement & Controls - Third person means animated, and these animation frames are the reason movement was completely broken in TDS.
Because the movement is based on an animated player body, it’s often not instantaneous. For example, while sidestepping, there’s a slight delay as the body repositions itself in order to sidestep. Garrett turns his body in the direction of the side step while keeping his head in the direction you’re looking. The delay is the result of this animated sequence.
There's no magic bullet here, if they opt for third-person view then this will inevitably suffer.
* Level design - A third person camera needs a large amount of space around the player to even work, level designers can no longer make small spaces such as Garrett would be familiar with (small rooms, sewers, crawlspaces, etc.) or the camera will either clip through the walls or zoom in on Garrett's head, obstructing the view.
* Difficulty - Third person camera in Thief = cheating. Period.
* Gameplay - if they turn this into Assasin's Creed, Splinter Cell or Doos X Human Reloaded I'll be fucking livid.

The Codex is not the only place filled with :rage:

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
commie said:

Yeah, Thief fans are great. Someone even made an unofficial expansion for Thief 2 that looked and felt like a real expansion. It had story, cgi (unofficial cgi!!!!) for mission introductions, same great game-play, great mission design. Not to mention it was quite long to boot.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Sergiu64 said:
commie said:

Yeah, Thief fans are great. Someone even made an unofficial expansion for Thief 2 that looked and felt like a real expansion. It had story, cgi (unofficial cgi!!!!) for mission introductions, same great game-play, great mission design. Not to mention it was quite long to boot.

Shadows of the Metal Age. Fucking great expansion. You'd think it was made by LGS......almost ;)

@ Sceptic

The real Thief 4 will have everything in B&W for 'UBERCOOL' effect when you go 'stealth' so you know EXACTLY when something sees you or not. None of that pissy 'lightstone' crap where you could be partially seen!

The real Thief 4 will also have a press 'A'(console) or press 'E'(PC) for one button takedowns letting you see Garrett perform one of 3 'UBERCOOL' takedown animations!

The real Thief 4 will feature helpful text help(note the redundancy there) whenever you walk next to anything that can be interacted with. Nothing is as 'UBERCOOL' as being told 'press 'E' to open door' or 'press 'E' to pick up loot' in games, especially in a dark world like Thief's which cries out for lots of bright, bold text to help the immersion!

MetalCraze

Arcane
The OP writes it like it wasn't obvious the moment Eidos announced it

Or does someone still believe in modern sequels?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
O tempora o mores! I can't really invoke rage anymore. Battle is lost.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
MetalCraze said:
But can you criticize Thiaf before you've played it?
No, even if I played it. Because everyone knows what next-gen gamez is the best gamez evar.
Now please leave, I want to play shitty old games in peace. ;)

Spellcaster said:
It was obvious, but I tried to do something. Sounds pretty retarded now, since none of us has been listened, but I went to the official forums and posted countless pieces of suggestions, discussed thousands of possibilities with other members (mostly TTLG people) and so on. At the end of the day, I had the feeling that all of it was completely pointless and the devs woudn't listen to any of it anyway, but at least I was trying.
Give this man a medal! :salute:

Alex

Arcane
Wow, reminds me of the time I spent in Bioware's board (and Bethesda before that) trying to make suggestions that had nothing to do with the games they were releasing. I even remember I got into an argument once when I tried to suggest that all quests in DA should be completable without resorting to combat and that they should make a magic system more like Ultima 8's.

Back on topic, Spellcaster, I don't think there was anything that could be done to sway the development of Thief 4, but at least you tried, which is better than doing nothing.

Alex

Arcane
I used to post there in the pre-Morrowind times. Back then,I was sure that the game would be just like Daggerfall, only better :lol: Heck, I still remember when people were pissed back when it was revealed that lycanthropy and lichdom weren't going to be attainable in the game.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
I just wonder why developers even NEED to necro old franchises. I mean, fans of Thief, Fallout, DX etc. don't care for the 'improved' modern versions and they are a 'small' cross-section of gamers anyway(too small to bother catering to by the big companies) and the target audience for all the changes mostly doesn't care or often even know of the originals; so what's the point of it all?

Just releasing a game with the same title as games from the past only because they once paid for or own the IP seems a pretty fucking flimsy reason, not to mention limiting.

Fuck, just call it 'Stealth Warrior: Dark Destiny' or some shit and everyone is happy! Thief fans won't care and consoletards will lap it up. Put a lot of anime tits and emo faggotry on the cover and you have a hit without any baggage!

Alex

Arcane
commie said:
I just wonder why developers even NEED to necro old franchises. I mean, fans of Thief, Fallout, DX etc. don't care for the 'improved' modern versions and they are a 'small' cross-section of gamers anyway(too small to bother catering to by the big companies) and the target audience for all the changes mostly doesn't care or often even know of the originals; so what's the point of it all?

Just releasing a game with the same title as games from the past only because they once paid for or own the IP seems a pretty fucking flimsy reason, not to mention limiting.

I think it has to do with making people think they are playing an old game. A lot of people who play games nowadays never played thief, but heard about it on the internet or wherever. A few others did play the old games, but don't have enough patience for games like that anymore. So, by using the name of an older game with generic gameplay, they are able to draw in more customers than if they used the generic gameplay alone. For the people who know about thief, but don't care much for its gameplay, it is like free advertising.

Glyphwright

Can't wait for a LoK trainwreck sequel. Maybe they can somehow tie in Lara Croft with it. Like, she opens an ancient tomb and walks through a portal into Nosgoth, then falls in love with Kain and helps him restore balance in both Nosgoth and our world.

commie said:

Fuck, just call it 'Stealth Warrior: Dark Destiny' or some shit and everyone is happy! Thief fans won't care and consoletards will lap it up. Put a lot of anime tits and emo faggotry on the cover and you have a hit without any baggage!

They get a shitload more coverage from the media since its an 'established' series. Every reviewer is pretty much required to spend the first paragraph telling everyone how great thief 1/2/3 were in a half-assed way to appease anyone over the age of 20, even though neither the reviewer nor their readers have played it. Then they tell us how thief 4 is EVEN BETTER, of course. FO3 would probably have sold well just on the Bethesda name, but it clearly got a lot of extra praise for being a 'sequel' to a game that was apparently very good (not that anyone giving their praise played FO1/2).

Glyphwright said:
Can't wait for a LoK trainwreck sequel. Maybe they can somehow tie in Lara Croft with it. Like, she opens an ancient tomb and walks through a portal into Nosgoth, then falls in love with Kain and helps him restore balance in both Nosgoth and our world.

By modern standards thats almost acceptable. If you want a trainwreck then you need to have NPCs inside the game selling DLC along with facebook integration. :lol:

Lumpy

Arcane
Big fucking deal. Thief was a shit franchise in the first place.
"Let's make an FPS where instead of shooting people you hit them in the head with a blackjack. But it's also stealthy, so you have to wait for 5 minutes for each enemy." ZOMG BEST SERIES EVAR!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom