Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community JE Sawyer Speaks Out

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: J.E. Sawyer

JE Sawyer of Midway Games, the lead designer various Black Isle Studios games, and of the now defunct Van Buren and Jefferson titles has decided to voice his opinion on the <a href="http://www.obsidianent.com">Obsidian Entertainment</a> forums on the subject of the <b>reactions</b> to Fallout 3 and how he thinks the fanbase could use a lot of maturity if they ever wish to advance their cause. Here are a huge, interesting snippet from the <a href="http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=19374&hl=">thread</a> on the subject of fans and their behaviour towards developers and what he thinks about it:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
And hey, you can sit back and speculate on their motives all day long. They're greedy. They're jerks. They're idiots. They love games that are the antithesis of everything you love in the original games. They rape puppies. Go to town, man. Respond with hostility to developers who express a desire to do something with the game that you don't like. Insult their intelligence, make up clever nicknames for them, use Photoshop to put them into demeaning situations. Stew and chuckle and growl in righteous indignation. What did you accomplish? I mean, other than polishing your E-Sheriff badge and feeling like an internet hardass.
<br>
<br>
I can tell you from my personal experience that I care about the logic of an argument, not about how loud one or two guys yell or how many different ways they can insult me in one paragraph. As a developer, almost all of the times I've changed my mind based on user feedback, it's been from relatively unassuming, conversational suggestions and observations. If a developer is open to your idea, he or she is going to be more likely to accept it if it's not presented with a punch in the face.
<br>
<br>
I mean, do people think this sort of thing actually works in real life? Do you go into stores and shout insults at people because they don't have something in stock that you want? Don't get me wrong, if the store wants your money, they better have some stuff that you want to buy. But do you really think you're more likely to get what you want with hostility than with a plain-old sensible suggestion?
<br>
<br>
Be realistic about the situation. Bethesda has the license. They're probably going to try to make a game with it. You can be quiet, you can yell at them, you can try to be conversational with them -- take your pick. Short of going down to their offices and going on a killing spree, you're probably not going to prevent them from making the game. But, if you want to have any influence over the game, I believe you are far more likely to convince them with firm, serious arguments than with hostility and insults. You don't have to kiss their asses. Be as short and terse with them as you want, but understand that it's the internet, not a boxing ring. If a reader wants to get out, they can simply close the browser. It doesn't matter how incredibly witty your sarcastic comments are. If the person doesn't feel like they're gaining anything out of talking with you, they'll just drop out. And at that point, if it's the developer who just dropped out of the conversation, you've just lost any power you've had to affect their decisions about the game.
<br>
<br>
Let me be perfectly blunt here. In Black Isle, the vast majority of devs (who will remain unnamed as individuals) stopped reading fan feedback entirely because, whether it was right or wrong of them, they didn't feel like it was worth enduring the hostility. I guess you could pat yourselves on the back and nod at how much you "owned" them, but they're the ones who made the games. You could have offered the best ideas in the world the very next day, but it wouldn't make a bit of difference because no one on the team saw them.
<br>
<br>
The bottom line is that if a lot of fans are hostile towards developers, what they are going to get is another game that they won't like at all. If you are firm and debate things to the point where you feel like you've made as much progress as you can, you're likely to get a game that you'll like more. And if you think it's a lost cause, then why waste your time on it at all?
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Be sure to check the whole thing out. There's more. I'm sure <b>Vault Dweller</b> and <b>Volourn</b> will find this pretty interesting.
<br>
<br>
Thanks for the heads up, <b>Odin</b>.

plin

Liturgist
haha, alot of that made me think of Rosh. What a fucking cunt (rosh, that is).

Like this bit:

"And hey, you can sit back and speculate on their motives all day long. They're greedy. They're jerks. They're idiots. They love games that are the antithesis of everything you love in the original games. They rape puppies. Go to town, man. Respond with hostility to developers who express a desire to do something with the game that you don't like. Insult their intelligence, make up clever nicknames for them, use Photoshop to put them into demeaning situations. Stew and chuckle and growl in righteous indignation. What did you accomplish? I mean, other than polishing your E-Sheriff badge and feeling like an internet hardass. "

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yes, he's basically reiterated everything I've said in the past week or so, though I'm sure it's just the result of common sense and not some sort of intellectual plagiarism. ;)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
plin said:

Rosh mentioned it once, or so legend has it (never saw the quote myself, but judging by the ocasional forum user mentioning it...).

Yeah, I think Rosh is an extremely inteligent and perceptive individual with the gift of gab, and he can be polite. But many times I feel the insults do obscure his points.

OHNOES I SPOKE OUT AGAINT ROSH DONT BAN ME MR. MODERATOR MAN!!

plin

Liturgist
It amazes me how people could not use simple common sense like this.

Brillo

Novice
Exitium said:
Yes, he's basically reiterated everything I've said in the past week or so, though I'm sure it's just the result of common sense and not some sort of intellectual plagiarism. ;)
I can think of a number of people who've said the same thing repeatedly for the last two months. :) I believe they were all called cockgobblers by assorted forum members.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It has to be understood that most people don't like profanity. They don't really care if the points are valid or if they're even worth listening to, because once profanity is thrown into the mix (especially as an insult, and not so much as a descriptive term or slang usage) all of those valid points go flying right out of the window.

It's really unnecessary for the most part, and a lot of people regard it as a form of expressing immaturity due to its 'shock' value.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Rosh is good when he's arguing for you, but I don't think he should be an NMA admin, and I don't think he's as good as people make him out to be at arguing. I think a lot of it is ego projection, rather than actual intelligence - bowling people into submission with the force of confidence, if that makes sense.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Some people are just a wee bit unstable. I've seen Rosh go off-track occasionally. While his arguments, as I've said before, are usually valid and have merit, they're not always like that. I seem to recall a thread here in which he couldn't adequately respond to someone and it ended with him bringing up how he killed someone. To borrow a term from him, I believe that's what's called a hyperbole.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
i was the one who drew the "i've killed people" quote from rosh. i was discussing the fact his 'military experience' consisted wholly of blowing sailors on shoreleave.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I'm sure Vault Dweller and Volourn will find this pretty interesting."

Huh? Troika devs have had no problem with responding to me. JE depsite our "discussions" tends to do just fine, the Obsidan devs are fine in their responses to me, even Dave 'STFU" Gaider responds fine to me mostly (lol), and hey, even the POR2 devs were cool with me. If there was a POR3 they probably would have used some of my ideas. :?

If you mean my attitude towards Bethesda, I'm not worried about them. I could be the most polite person in the world and they'd never take my ideas. Why? Because Bethesda makes crappy games. Repeatedly. then again, it's not like I've spammed their baords or their mail with hate. They simply aren't worth the time.

Now, stop trolling me.

P.S. JE's comments while interesting and 99.5% correct is *not* news.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Exitium said:
I'm sure <b>Vault Dweller</b> and <b>Volourn</b> will find this pretty interesting.
Not really. While I have nothing against JE, his position has one major flaw. Even if you are polite and nice, they are not going to listen to you. Period. It may work for minor, insignificant features that the company doesn't give a shit about, but they wouldn't make the game that you want just because you asked nicely.

Odin

Novice
I don't believe JE is talking about being all nice, one can point something out to a dev in a harsh and obvious way and still not offend that dev. I believe it's called a wake up call..

Actually Rosh being an admin has nothing to do with you guys, you might have your opinions but then again it's only that..an opinion.

Sure Rosh might go overboard at times, but the man usually has alot of valid points eventho he say those in a harsh and perhaps degrading way. He has a silver lining to his debates, which you can read. Unless you have a thin skin and take offense at everything.

The problem with debating is that there are several ways of doing it, you can be harsh to prove a point, you can be nice to prove a point and can be a jackass to prove a point etc.. in the end the nice guy never wins.. So one has to find a balance.

Valid points usually prevail...

wintermane

Novice
3 miles south of happyness left of the funny farm
Vault Dweller said:
Exitium said:
I'm sure <b>Vault Dweller</b> and <b>Volourn</b> will find this pretty interesting.
Not really. While I have nothing against JE, his position has one major flaw. Even if you are polite and nice, they are not going to listen to you. Period. It may work for minor, insignificant features that the company doesn't give a shit about, but they wouldn't make the game that you want just because you asked nicely.

Why not its worked for me in the past sereral times. Oh its not likely to work on the current game unless its very early on or they have the time and will to add it in but they DO write down good ideas for later use and if fallout 3 does well enough there will be a 4 5 6.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Sorry, Odin, but you are cool; but Rosh is simply an idiot and a fool. He thinks he's cool; but he reminds me of my 10th grade prom date Timothy McBoob. A very sad sight indeed.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The thing I like about Rosh is that even though his arguments are full of venom, they do have their merits, as Odin said. Unlike the complete hyperbolic bullshit Vault Dweller comes up with.

Why yes, let's fault Bethesda for putting things that people actually want to see into their games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"The thing I like about Rosh is that even though his arguments are full of venom, they do have their merits"

No, they don't. No merit at all. He's an idiot. He's th second biggest individual idiot on the net.

"Why yes, let's fault Bethesda for putting things that people actually want to see into their games."

I'm glad I'm not people than.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Is that the best cumback you can muster in defense of your heroes at Shit Inc. aka Bethesda? LOL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom