Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Dark Brotherhood Returns

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>Gaming Everything <a href="http://gamingeverything.com/?p=600" target="_blank">assembled a list of features</a> you can expect to see in <strong>The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim</strong> (taken from the latest issue of the dutch magazine Power Unlimited).</p>
<blockquote>
<p>- No level cap<br />- Choose all perks with one character<br />- Technically speaking, Skyrim is an evolution within The Elder Scrolls, not a revolution<br />- Different properties for all weapons, take advantage of them by choosing the right perks<br />- Maces ignore a percentage of armor<br />- Axes have bleed damage over time<br />- Quickly revisit locations you have previously visited<br />- Game is as big as Oblivion<br />- 5 big cities<br />- Over 130 dungeons<br />- &ldquo;Low-Fantasy&rdquo; (game does not look as vibrant, vivid as Morrowind, more like Oblivion)<br />- The overarching narrative of the Dragons is less prominent than the Oblivion Gates were in Oblivion, which does not give you the feeling that you are doing &lsquo;useless&rsquo; quests when you lay aside the Main Quest.<br />- Dragons aren&rsquo;t rare<br />- Dungeons will be locked at their level once you have been there<br />- In a dungeon, it will remain lvl 5 when you entered it on lvl 5<br />- Dungeons don&rsquo;t change difficulties throughout a game save after you&rsquo;ve entered one<br />- Read in-game books in 3D<br />- 3D-preview in the Flash-based inventory for all items<br />- Twist, turn, rotate the items<br />- Will sometimes need to figure out puzzles by analyzing 3D previews<br />- Armor, weapons, small rings and herbs can be explored in great deal and viewed in 3D<br />- All items can be previewed in the inventory screen<br />- The Dark Brotherhood is back<br />- More traps and puzzles<br />- Around 20 hours for the main story<br />- Hundreds of additional hours for more quests<br />- Get stronger as you kill dragons<br />- A piece of a dragon&rsquo;s soul will be transferred to yours<br />- Special animations for sneak kills with daggers<br />- Team is looking at how they can improve facial expressions and animations<br />- No Kinect support</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/101255-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-the-dark-brotherhood-returns.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
- Will sometimes need to figure out puzzles by analyzing 3D previews
- More traps and puzzles

The only points in the whole list of 'features' that didn't make me think 'R00fles!'. But fuck, knowing the streamlined nature of this game, the 'puzzles' will probably be on 'what's 2+2' level.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
- No level cap

Meh.
- Choose all perks with one character

Bad.

- Technically speaking, Skyrim is an evolution within The Elder Scrolls, not a revolution

What does this mean?

- Different properties for all weapons, take advantage of them by choosing the right perks

Good.
- Maces ignore a percentage of armor

- Axes have bleed damage over time

Good.
- Quickly revisit locations you have previously visited

Meh.
- Game is as big as Oblivion
Meh.
- 5 big cities

Meh.
- Over 130 dungeons

Will be cut-and-paste jobs.
- “Low-Fantasy” (game does not look as vibrant, vivid as Morrowind, more like Oblivion)
Oblivion was "low-fantasy"? Bad.
- The overarching narrative of the Dragons is less prominent than the Oblivion Gates were in Oblivion, which does not give you the feeling that you are doing ‘useless’ quests when you lay aside the Main Quest.

Good.
- Dragons aren’t rare

Bad.
- Dungeons will be locked at their level once you have been there

Bad.
- In a dungeon, it will remain lvl 5 when you entered it on lvl 5

Bad.
- Dungeons don’t change difficulties throughout a game save after you’ve entered one

Bad.
- Read in-game books in 3D

What the fuck?
- 3D-preview in the Flash-based inventory for all items

Jesus
- Twist, turn, rotate the items

Christ

Seriously
- Armor, weapons, small rings and herbs can be explored in great deal and viewed in 3D
what
- All items can be previewed in the inventory screen

the hell is this anyway
- The Dark Brotherhood is back

Probably bad.
- More traps and puzzles

Good.
- Around 20 hours for the main story
Meh.
- Hundreds of additional hours for more quests

Meh.
- Get stronger as you kill dragons

Shocking.
- A piece of a dragon’s soul will be transferred to yours

Stupid.
- Special animations for sneak kills with daggers

- Team is looking at how they can improve facial expressions and animations

Thank god, it's a real RPG after all.
- No Kinect support

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

kasmas

Educated
Sounds crap

"chose all perks with one character" means that all characters will be the same , that's worst than oblivion

SoupNazi

PCGamer said:
Skyrim will feature Dark Brotherhood, five cities and 130 dungeons
What they forgot to mention is that it will really be just 2 dungeons over and over and over and over again.

7hm

Scholar
Darth Roxor said:
- More traps and puzzles

The only points in the whole list of 'features' that didn't make me think 'R00fles!'. But fuck, knowing the streamlined nature of this game, the 'puzzles' will probably be on 'what's 2+2' level.

These two things are the most interesting.

This also:

- Quickly revisit locations you have previously visited

In that it implies you can't quickly visit locations you haven't previously visited... Which is a partial :incline:? Even if overall it's a massive :decline:.

Hopefully they make it so that you can't just quick travel halfway across the world to a city you haven't been to yet.

This game is meh. I'll prolly still buy it in two or three years anyway, though I may end up going for the console version for some mindless action gameplay while sitting on the couch.

obediah

Erudite
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Dark Brotherhood Retur

• Dungeons will be locked at their level once you have been there

In a dungeon, it will remain lvl 5 when you entered it on lvl 5

Dungeons don’t change difficulties throughout a game save after you’ve entered one

Well, fuck me - that's much more interesting than I would expect from Bethesda. I can't think of anything I've played that did level scaling that way. Seems worthy of discussion.

Good:

• When you re-enter a dungeon you went through 20 hours ago, you get the satisfaction of feeling your stat increases

Bad:

• I don't remember much reason to return to dungeons you went through 20 hours ago from Morrowind or Oblivion.

Allowing any dungeon to range from lvl 1 to infinity is a designer's nightmare (good thing zenimax doesn't use designers, harhar). Either they will all be as generic as fuck, or the dungeons will be hand created, but all the monsters will scale from 1-infinity. That's lose-lose.

A new sucky feature to meta-game. Don't go around opening doors or you won't be able to level up later! If nothing else, Bethesda is great at choking the life out of their games with stupid mechanics.

No chance to stumble upon something higher level than you? Can't even fudge the dungeon level by a random +/- 10% or put minimums on some dungeons.

Seems like a trap to turn your game into an offline MMORPG

It's still an interesting idea. I'd like to see what more creative developers do with it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
kasmas said:
Sounds crap

"chose all perks with one character" means that all characters will be the same , that's worst than oblivion

I guess that you will have to play with one character for like 200 hours to achieve that. Everything else just wouldn't make sense. Not that that would mean much ...

And modders will most likely be able to fix that pretty easily.

riptide

Scholar
I wonder if spears are back in Skyrim. They weren't implemented in Oblivion for some inane reason.

Framnk

Novice
thesheeep said:
kasmas said:
Sounds crap

I guess that you will have to play with one character for like 200 hours to achieve that. Everything else just wouldn't make sense. Not that that would mean much ...

And modders will most likely be able to fix that pretty easily.

Gaming Everything got it wrong. The actual quote from the Dutch magazine was:

“There is no level cap. You will nevertheless not be able to choose all perks with one character.”

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

VentilatorOfDoom said:
- Dungeons will be locked at their level once you have been there.

- In a dungeon, it will remain lvl 5 when you entered it on lvl 5.

- Dungeons don’t change difficulties throughout a game save after you’ve entered one.

I think these three mean the same thing. Nevertheless a good thing.

3D-preview in the Flash-based inventory for all items.

Flash-based inventory? Will it leave a cookie?
:retarded:

obediah said:
  • Dungeons will be locked at their level once you have been there

In a dungeon, it will remain lvl 5 when you entered it on lvl 5

Dungeons don’t change difficulties throughout a game save after you’ve entered one

Well, fuck me - that's much more interesting than I would expect from Bethesda. I can't think of anything I've played that did level scaling that way. Seems worthy of discussion.

Good:

• When you re-enter a dungeon you went through 20 hours ago, you get the satisfaction of feeling your stat increases

Bad:

• I don't remember much reason to return to dungeons you went through 20 hours ago from Morrowind or Oblivion.

Allowing any dungeon to range from lvl 1 to infinity is a designer's nightmare (good thing zenimax doesn't use designers, harhar). Either they will all be as generic as fuck, or the dungeons will be hand created, but all the monsters will scale from 1-infinity. That's lose-lose.

A new sucky feature to meta-game. Don't go around opening doors or you won't be able to level up later! If nothing else, Bethesda is great at choking the life out of their games with stupid mechanics.

No chance to stumble upon something higher level than you? Can't even fudge the dungeon level by a random +/- 10% or put minimums on some dungeons.

Seems like a trap to turn your game into an offline MMORPG

It's still an interesting idea. I'd like to see what more creative developers do with it.

It's the exact same system that they used for FO3 (in reaction to the universal loathing of level scaling in Oblivion). Bioware also copied it for DA

Bahamut

Arcane

VentilatorOfDoom said:
- “Low-Fantasy” (game does not look as vibrant, vivid as Morrowind, more like Oblivion)

Wat?

Read in-game books in 3D

I wonder if reading books will require the character to equip these
inset.jpg

Gosh i miss that clear and simple Morrowind UI,

torpid

Liturgist
So they limit level scaling enough to let you bash on weaker enemies when you've grown in power, but not enough for you to ever run into stronger enemies. When Todd Howard & co. read complaints about level scaling, the only conclusion they came to was that they had to make things even easier...

Medic

Scholar
Patron
- Choose all perks with one character

all perks with one character

fuuu.png

Why have the perks then?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom