Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

Deleted member 11480

-

Last edited by a moderator:

Angthoron

Arcane
I wish there were people (besides Yahtzee) that would have the balls to rip modern games and peripherals on their shows that would be sponsored by major websites instead of beating on "defenceless" old games.

I really liked his complaints in this one vid I randomly watches, Hudson Hawk was it? "Would you expect that you have to punch the painting?????? OMG RAEG"

...Yeah, 'k, that's a huge complaint right there, I'm sure it takes a brainiac to figure which of the two NES controller buttons you're supposed to use.

Still, has some entertainment value I suppose.

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
The new AVGN videos are mostly just shitty gags with very little video game content and the nerdy complaining seems so forced that I had a feeling he'd end the series in the 100th episode. You can see that he has grown tired of making these videos and raging at old games. That episode would work well as the finale, but there is no mention of it being the last so I guess he'll keep doing shitty videos for monetary gain.

DriacKin

Arbiter
I wouldn't say they feel forced, but it just feels like he uses the same jokes over and over again. I mean, how many times can you listen to him compare a game to diarrhea and still find it amusing? And even the game reviews themselves become repetitive after a while -- he just always bitches about the same 3 or 4 issues in every episode..

Just like 99% of other comedians, his schtick is kinda amusing at first but gets old awfully quickly.

ortucis

Prophet
His new videos felt forced at first but I realised that he is bored of making them as well (actually, he DID take a break when he said how it's getting boring for him as well some time ago).

In newer videos he isn't channeling the rage force so much that it feels fake. Pretty much limits it to key moments and feels real enough. But say what you want, it's still fun to learn about most of these games you never played even back then (I was too busy finishing TMNT 3 over and over :P ).

Anthogoron said:
...Yeah, 'k, that's a huge complaint right there, I'm sure it takes a brainiac to figure which of the two NES controller buttons you're supposed to use.

Sometimes I think he's sucking on purpose to accentuate the shittiness of a given game. Some games (like that Simpsons one, "Bart through Time" or something) are more of a chore than visible shittiness, so showing us how he slowly, carefully slogs through an enemy infested area isn't as fun as touching an enemy and showing how that shoves you into the nearest pit.

Spellcaster said:
I also find it way more funny to bash shitty or simply silly old games.

Yeah. Older games were sometimes backyard-quality; the shittiness haas a charming feel to it, like it's part of the game. Most of my enjoyment comes from having been through the same situations. That top-down, Gauntlet-style NES X-Men game had me in stitches because it was like I was watching myself play it again (only he is old enough to properly express his feelings in words, and I just frothed in rage and bit the controllers).

Shitty modern games tend to be shitty because of shitty executive decisions - just not as fun to laugh about them. Plus, there's a huge risk of ending up in a EDGY! corner where you're expected to bash every big name new game that comes out, because that's what you do, right?

And it's not like modern games would be less "defenseless", anyway - all he'd get is a bunch of butthurt on a forum.

I have the impression he's kinda fed up with the SHITCAKES PIECE OF MELON FLAVORED SHIT swearing himself, but he has to do it because there are fans that want that. The videos that cut back on the tourettes and go for gaming history and research are much more fun and lively.

Angthoron

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Anthogoron said:

Sometimes I think he's sucking on purpose to accentuate the shittiness of a given game. Some games (like that Simpsons one, "Bart through Time" or something) are more of a chore than visible shittiness, so showing us how he slowly, carefully slogs through an enemy infested area isn't as fun as touching an enemy and showing how that shoves you into the nearest pit.

Yeah, I get that, it's just a bit strange to have stupid complaints like that mixed with genuine design flaws. Really, he should focus less on just the "shitty" games and try to broaden the selection of his show's topics - as was said, the "history of" videos are actually pretty good, especially the parts about behind-the-scenes like naming, marketing and development. To have a show like that mixed with an occasional ragefit at a genuine turd is, in my opinion, much better - especially if the guy himself is bored of the format.

As for him not doing modern games, didn't he do the new Ghost Busters and a few other games like last year? I remember seeing them on the lists somehow.

Ermm

Erudite
Yup, Rolfes is my favorite vidya games reviewer, tied with Stanburdman (his old stuff also is better).

Spoony was kind of good, then he became Mr. Almighty of constructive criticism, and he was hugely pissed by his EncyclopediaDramatica article (like, very), and he is overly nitpicking.

Still, this dude is the best one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIFRR9UueJs

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Spoony is entertaining only when he plays a FF game.

MapMan

Arcane
This made me think. Are video games the exception? Out of all forms of entertainment, do only games have fan forums constantly filled with whinning that every next game is worse than its precedessor? Are there forums like MovieCodex where people constantly bitch about movies, that the movie industry is declining and the best movies were the black & white ones? :hmmm:

ortucis

Prophet
MapMan said:
This made me think. Are video games the exception? Out of all forms of entertainment, do only games have fan forums constantly filled with whinning that every next game is worse than its precedessor? Are there forums like MovieCodex where people constantly bitch about movies, that the movie industry is declining and the best movies were the black & white ones? :hmmm:

Ever heard of IMDB?

Search for your favorite movie or show and learn why it's the worst piece of shit production ever shat into existence.

For example, Chuck. Show kicks ass up until you realise that they are doing it all wrong after visiting IMDB discussions. Things like actors calling each other "spies" (WRONG, IMMERSION BREAKING) instead of "agents" (RIGHT, REALISTIC) is one of the many kickass discussions you will encounter. The only discussion I haven't seen is of why the security cameras zoom in/out of character faces to show emotions or switch to wide shot to show action sequences.

DriacKin

Arbiter
MapMan said:
Are there forums like MovieCodex where people constantly bitch about movies, that the movie industry is declining and the best movies were the black & white ones?
Actually, most film elitists would argue that the 70s were the golden age of cinema, as opposed to the black & white stuff

Ermm

Erudite
Konjad said:
that's why imdb is actually worth reading. It's just the same as the 'dex :thumbsup:

No, becuz IMDB has boards for Naruto and Pokemon, so if you take all boards together of IMDB, then shitty ones will be superior in terms of more discussions, for example, I can bet there are more discussions in Dragonball Z board than the Godfather.

Black

Arcane
I liked this ep.
Too bad modern games have... Yahtzee and what, faggy spic? And Yahtzee is a casual who cannot into proper video games and that spic is just... yeah, let's leave it at that.

Codex needs to make our own exclusive™ and™ prestigious™ modern vidya game bashing series.

Silellak

Cipher
AVGN has always been a guilty pleasure for me - I'm usually way more interested in the games/systems themselves than what he actually has to say about them these days. I also agree that it seems like he's getting more and more tired of the "gig".

Honestly, some my favorite stuff of his are his reviews of the games he does like - most notably, Ninja Gaiden, and the four part Castlevania retrospective. Maybe for the 100th episode he should've killed off the AVGN and created a new character - the Nostalgic Video Game Nerd, or something - and ditched the whole I am angry about everything raar grr shit shit shit shit shit ass diarrhea.

Eh, whatever, not like I won't keep watching either way. Free entertainment is free.

Topher

Cipher
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Wasn't ROB already done once in the Jewtube times?

Rob was mentioned but I don't think there was ever a video dedicated to it.

Topher

Cipher
I still like his work on both AVGN and Board James... oh, and his movie reviews and specials like Monster Madness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom