Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview A Game of Thrones - No Pussyfooting

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: A Game of Thrones RPG

<p>Kharn and the GameBanshee crew had a chance to throw <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/102335-a-game-of-thrones-rpg.html" target="_blank">a few questions</a> at Cyanide (Blood Bowl, Loki) about the upcoming <a href="http://www.cyanide-studio.com/games/agot/" target="_blank"><strong>A Game of Thrones RPG</strong></a>.</p>
<blockquote>Thomas: We are working on a linear storyline in which our two main characters are "delimited". This must not be equated with constrained; it just means that a coherent story requires that the dramatis personae be coherent. The two of them thus have a well-defined background and a given mindset, which impact on their relationship. Of course, the player will be able to customise the equipment and attributes of his characters and this will allow them to evolve in a direction chosen by the player.<br /><br />The same goes for the storyline. It would be impossible to offer an epic adventure if the game was played in an open world. Depth can only be provided if we keep the player to a linear path. Again, the player will be able to make vital choices at key moments, so he is not a captive of the game scenario.<br /><br />As for gameplay, we are very much tactical RPG-orientated. That's why, in combat, we use an active pause system which allows skills to be stacked while the game is switched into slow motion.</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Archibald

Arcane
I confuse. Instead of pause they`ll make some matrix style slow motion...?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
tactical RPG-orientated + active pause system + skills to be stacked while the game is switched into slow motion = does not compute.

zeitgeist

Magister
Jason said:
It would be impossible to offer an epic adventure if the game was played in an open world. Depth can only be provided if we keep the player to a linear path.
I thought this was a humorous paraphrase of the actual quote meant to enrage the Codexian audience, and then I read the interview. Oh my.

kris

Arcane
So basically they are making the same generic action game with an epic story like everyone else. With limited tyrrany of choice and in which they could eliminate movement altogether since you can only walk the tunnel.

Awesome! Innovation! Meh.

Gosling

Liturgist
Can't say I like their idea of constantly switching between 2 different protagonists in separate "episodes". It seems like an interesting concept on paper, but I'm not sure this will work so well in an rpg format.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
I think this is one the problems with a lot of RPGs: being based on existing properties.
You just can't have deep meaningful C&C if you have to stick to existing lore (i.e. staying canon) like The Witcher or A Game of Thrones.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's why The Witcher would be a better game if they followed the initial concept of player creating his own witcher from scratch, not playing as Geralt The Resurrected Despite It Doesn't Make Any Sense.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
MuscleSpark said:
I think this is one the problems with a lot of RPGs: being based on existing properties.
You just can't have deep meaningful C&C if you have to stick to existing lore (i.e. staying canon) like The Witcher or A Game of Thrones.

What's the difference? If you have a world created by yourself then you can create a nonlinear story with C&C that affect this story, but if you have a world created by someone else then suddenly it becomes impossible? So, for example, if you're creating a story that happens in the real world, then for some reason you're unable give the player a choice that will, for example, start or prevent a third world war? World is just a background. Rules of this world will obviously limit your possibilities in creating a story (you rather won't put space marines in Planescape Torment), but it doesn't mean that you can't create a nonlinear story and C&C in this world just because it was created by someone else.

Gosling

Liturgist
BelisariuS.F said:
MuscleSpark said:

What's the difference? If you have a world created by yourself then you can create a nonlinear story with C&C that affect this story, but if you have a world created by someone else then suddenly it becomes impossible? So, for example, if you're creating a story that happens in the real world, then for some reason you're unable give the player a choice that will, for example, start or prevent a third world war? World is just a background. Rules of this world will obviously limit your possibilities in creating a story (you rather won't put space marines in Planescape Torment), but it doesn't mean that you can't create a nonlinear story and C&C in this world just because it was created by someone else.

While I agree with you I think that what MusceSpark meant was that you can't add world-altering choices/events into the story because they may cotradict or establish a new canon.

So, for example, if you're creating a story that happens in the real world, then for some reason you're unable give the player a choice that will, for example, start or prevent a third world war?

Using your own example - in an already established setting you wouldn't be able to let the player start or prevent World War II.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Gosling said:
While I agree with you I think that what MusceSpark meant was that you can't add world-altering choices/events into the story because they may cotradict or establish a new canon.
Well, he wrote "deep meaningful C&C". If as deep and meaningful C&C you consider ONLY those C&C that turn the world on it's head, then yes, you may be somehow limited in the available options.
Gosling said:
So, for example, if you're creating a story that happens in the real world, then for some reason you're unable give the player a choice that will, for example, start or prevent a third world war?

Using your own example - in an already established setting you wouldn't be able to let the player start or prevent World War II.

If the story happens during present time, then obviously you can't change it.
If the story happens before the war? Assassinate Hitler. Attack Germany before it's prepared. There are options.

Gosling

Liturgist
BelisariuS.F said:
If the story happens before the war? Assassinate Hitler. Attack Germany before it's prepared. There are options.

Personally I don't mind this but the author of the original books/owner of the rights to the setting may object to this for whatever reason.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
Gosling said:
BelisariuS.F said:

Personally I don't mind this but the author of the original books/owner of the rights to the setting may object to this for whatever reason.

I may be wrong, but If an author sells the rights to the adaptation of his work, then he has no right to interfere in this adaptation, right? Otherwise we wouldn't have so many adaptations that have very little in common with the original work.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I think this game has a good shot a being decent. Decent as in "good for what it is".

I remember having fun with "Enter the matrix" a long time ago because I was a fan of the setting and it didn't try to be something special just an arcade action.

If they don't try anything stupid and just make an arcade action with a few RPG elements and a nice SoIaF story I see myself playing it.

Plus the guy being interviewed seemed a good guy even if not that smart.
Also picking Unreal Tournament 3 engine sounds good. Not like some potato devs I know that thought it was a good idea to use the NWN2 engine for their game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom