Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Matt Chat: Baldur's Gate

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Baldur's Gate; BioWare

<p><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvmmNhyFLNc" target="_blank">There's Matt Chat 101 available</a>, concerning Baldur's Gate this time. It's a game from a time when BioWare writers didn't yet try to catch the Twilight vampire romance atmosphere with their efforts.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Fans rejoice! I've filled my drinking horn and put on my bard's hat this week to do a retrospective of my all-time favorite CRPG, Bioware's epic Baldur's Gate. This is it, the best of the best CRPGs, a game that just gets better and better as modern designers (including Bioware!) get worse and worse. While not perfect, it's Baldur's Gate I and II are as close to perfection as we're ever going to get, at least until YOU all quit your day jobs and make a game worthy of its legacy.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Larpingdude17 newsitem. For your pleasure.</em></p>

Well...

At least he mentioned the state of CRPG's are getting worse. And he does enjoy quite a few of the golden oldies, even if he mentioned that hintbooks were necessary for Goldbox games...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Poor Matt, he will get hell because he said that "Baldur's Gate I and II are as close to perfection as we're ever going to get".

I love his show, just check out his channel, he has so many good reviews about the golden classics. He is a true BRO to me.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I like Matt's interviews a lot, especially the ones with Tim Cain, but when he just show a game it kinda sucks. Is not a review nor a commented gameplay, just he starting the game and playing (sometimes very badly) the beggining...

And how can a man who has a youtube show about CRPG's and wrote a fucking book on the subject say he doesn't know how tabletops RPG's work? That's really lazy.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
felipepepe said:
t say he doesn't know how tabletops RPG's work? That's really lazy.
He really said that? I don't remember it. This doesn't mean anything of course, my memory is terrible.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, the hyperbole is strong in this one. I don't think his sentiment is far off - the first Baldur's Gate meant a lot for the games industry, and for many players - but it's got too many flaws dragging it down to call it anything close to perfect. I think it's better to take his video more as a nostalgic look back on the game. You can tell he's pretty damn earnest about what he's saying, even if he's exaggerating about the game's quality.

Meh, I dunno, let him be. Most of the time his show's pretty good, I think he's entitled to a few games he just loves unconditionally.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
The first Baldur's Gate came after games like Fallout, Fallout 2 and Ultima VII. It was a relict.

sea said:
You can tell he's pretty damn earnest about what he's saying, even if he's exaggerating about the game's quality.
Which is why we can't have good thing any more. You can make an outdated game and decline the whole genre with it just because people like him lack critical thinking.

DraQ

Arcane
sea said:
Yeah, the hyperbole is strong in this one. I don't think his sentiment is far off - the first Baldur's Gate meant a lot for the games industry, and for many players
Then again - so did oblivion.

:M

BG was a bit of oblivion of it's time - BSB cookie cutter fantasy, no stat checks, no C&C, extreme linearity poorly disguised by relative freedom of movement, infantile morality and shit combat.

Agreed, it's far more palatable than oblivious, but that can be chalked up to declining standards.
At least BG does get a bit better towards the end (about the time when you revisit Candlekeep), but you really need some godly saving throws against inanity to make it to this point in the plot.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
The way he's talking, it sounds like he's trying to get the younger crowd (read casual) to give BG a try and from there they might go on to play more old games.

Begriffenfeldt

Educated
the best of the best CRPGs
QNS1B.gif

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
DraQ said:
BG was a bit of oblivion of it's time - BSB cookie cutter fantasy, no stat checks, no C&C, extreme linearity poorly disguised by relative freedom of movement, infantile morality and shit combat.
I think that's a pretty apt comparison, though maybe Morrowind comes closer because at least that one required something of a brain to play. To be fair, though, Baldur's Gate, while loved by many people, is nowhere near as celebrated as its sequel (at least what I've seen), and the sequel does, despite its smaller since and introduction of the dreaded BioWare Formula, actually stand out as being a significantly better game due to some much smarter design choices, better balance, and a much more interesting story and world. Out of all BioWare titles that people remember fondly I'd say Baldur's Gate 2 is probably the most deserving of the praise it gets, and I also think Baldur's Gate is a lot more forgivable when you realise it a) was the studio's first RPG and b) that it led to a much, much improved sequel.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
J_C said:
felipepepe said:
He really said that? I don't remember it. This doesn't mean anything of course, my memory is terrible.
On the video, when he's rolling the stats, he goes "I haven't played tabletop D&D, so I don't know how the GM does this". Not saying that every CRPG player must try the Pen&Paper RPG, but if you gonna write a book about then, you should at least know it's origins...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
felipepepe said:
J_C said:
felipepepe said:
On the video, when he's rolling the stats, he goes "I haven't played tabletop D&D, so I don't know how the GM does this". Not saying that every CRPG player must try the Pen&Paper RPG, but if you gonna write a book about then, you should at least know it's origins...
True. Despite this I have to say his book is pretty good and thorough. I'm reading it right now, and he talks about every important (and not so important) cRPGs starting from the 1970s.

Deleted member 7219

Can somebody pklease tell me how the FUCK Baldurs Gate and Baldurs Gate 2 are great CRPGs?

I mean, for FUCKS SAKE, this is really pissing me off. It is as if Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape Torment, Fallout: New Vegas etc don't exist. Those are RPGs, they have choices and consequences. The BG series is just fucking combat, and shit combat at that.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Awor Szurkrarz said:
sea said:
b) that it led to a much, much improved sequel.
Which still had the same flaws as BG1 and added a new element of decline - Bioware dialogue choices.
Some of the flaws, yes. In other ways it was a major improvement.

For one, story. Baldur's Gate has a simple plot, but it's also got plenty of little holes in it, and the majority of it does not play out through action, dialogue and so forth, it plays out through... walking to a place to find a letter. The delivery is just awful. Compare that to Baldur's Gate 2, where you're given freeform goals (amass lots of money early on to pay for information), different parties to side with who may or may not actually help you, side-quests which do a decent job of tying into the main quest, and a villain who is both compelling and whose motivations are clear (rather than just, you know, a big scary orc).

Second, world design. Although the Sword Coast might have been realised "realistically", the fact is that Baldur's Gate 2 just has far more variety, the locations feel far less redundant and superfluous even if there are fewer of them, and most locations have a reason for existing, rather than just for the sake of endless filler content. Baldur's Gate has its moments, but they're eroded by the endless hiking through boring, repetitive wilderness areas, fighting the same enemies over and over again. It's almost as bad as an MMO in that respect. Baldur's Gate 2 "trims the fat" while getting much better use out of the environments that they did go to the effort of making. Efficiency in design!

Third, combat. While more or less the same system between games, with more choices in Baldur's Gate 2 as far as classes and weaponry go (though not necessarily significant ones), Baldur's Gate 2 has far, far better encounter design, far less filler combat, and far more unique enemies and monsters, high-level enemies like beholders to trash, dragons which actually can and will wreck your day, mages who put up huge protection spells before blasting you with deadly combos, etc. The first game had some of this stuff, but only in a very limited capacity, and it was buried under layers and layers of killing goddamn gibberlings and xvarts. Baldur's Gate 2 has its issues (enemies who cheat the rules), but it's far stronger in this respect and success is based far more on real tactics rather than how well you can abuse exploits.

As for the dialogues... an RPG can be linear story- and dialogue-wise, and I really won't mind so long as it offers me something to sink my teeth into. Most of the dialogue in Baldur's Gate 2 is actually very well done, emo Twilight romance bullshit aside, so that's a plus for me. Conversations that give a false sense of choice in themselves aren't a bad thing, either, unless they really lie to you or force you into things you think you should or should not have to do, and I think Baldur's Gate 2, for the most part, does a good job of avoiding falling into the "but thou must" trap.

Really, for the most part, the flaws in Baldur's Gate 2 that remain present from Baldur's Gate 1 really boil down to the game engine/perspective/combat system than anything else, and I think that's to be expected given the game was made in (if memory serves) less than a year. It's actually surprising just how much of an improvement it is over the original considering... which also makes it sadder just how fucking awful Neverwinter Nights turned out, but that's another story.

Matt7895 said:
Can somebody pklease tell me how the FUCK Baldurs Gate and Baldurs Gate 2 are great CRPGs?

I mean, for FUCKS SAKE, this is really pissing me off. It is as if Fallout, Fallout 2, Planescape Torment, Fallout: New Vegas etc don't exist. Those are RPGs, they have choices and consequences. The BG series is just fucking combat, and shit combat at that.
A CRPG doesn't have to have choice and consequence in its story and/or quests to be good, and many of the more combat-heavy CRPGs have quite a lot of choice and consequence as far as character creation and building go, if you want to look at it in terms of pure mechanics.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Matt7895 said:

Combat alone can make for a good RPG by the old-school dungeon crawler definition. Baldur's Gate definitely scratches the "I'd like to play a Hack & Slash P&P campaign on my computer" itch to some people. They don't care about choices- unless the choice is "Should I raise STR or VIT? How many more skillpoints should I put into Kirijutsu? If I multi-class my Priest into a Lord, will he be more powerful?".

And I think that's fine. Yeah, the combat is pretty terrible, but there aren't that many games like this. I can only think of the (neat) IWD series. Also I personally thought the encounter design in both BG games is very good in parts.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Baldur's Gate series aren't complete shit. But both games are very weak compared to the many RPGs of the time, as it has been said before. It is as if games like Ultima VII or Fallout never happened for Bioware.

The reedeming quality of Baldur's Gate for me is the AD&D rules, if it was replaced by some generic biowarian-made system, I probably wouldn't even finish the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom