Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Official Gothic III announcement from JoWooD

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href=http://press.jowood.com/>JoWooD's press site</a> has an official announcement (no direct link, apologies) confirming that Gothic III is under development at German dev house Piranha Bytes.<blockquote>Gothic III: JoWooD Productions presents the third chapter of the RPG success story
<br>
Rottenmann, Austria, 14th of December 2004: JoWooD Productions continues its successful cooperation with the German developer Piranha Bytes by publishing one of the most spectacular titles of the coming year: Gothic III, the third part of the legendary RPG saga. "Being listed in all major 'most wanted' charts across Europe, Gothic III is the top title of the coming year. To publish a game with such popularity, potential and quality, is a great chance for us to push a world-wide known brand even further" ,comments Andreas Tobler, CEO of JoWooD Productions Software AG. JoWooD Productions takes this chance and will try to break RPG selling records of the past!
<br>
<br>
"Our main efforts are to increase quality, atmosphere and fascination in Gothic III, to deliver an unbeatable RPG experience to all the Gothic fans out there. But even with all the improvements and innovations, we continue to build upon the unique concept of the Gothic titles", promises Mike Hoge, developer Piranha Bytes.
<br>
<br>
In 2002, JoWooD Productions managed to establish Gothic II as known brand in the RPG world. Gothic II dominated the sales charts with weeks at the top and is one of the best-selling titles ever created in German territories. The success is also proven by dozens of awards like "Best RPG 2002", "Best of E3 Show", "Best of Games Convention" and incredible ratings worldwide.</blockquote>Hopefully, Atari won't fumble the release of this one, or better still, a different company will handle the game outside of Europe. And hey, how about Night of the Raven while non-German gamers wait for the third installment?
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</A>

Whipporowill

Erudite
Official announcements are cool and all, but everyone knew it was in development and who would publish it. They could at least have dropped some new stuff on the game, or a first screenshot of the new engine... bastards.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
edit: to JJ: Yes, you should. In Poland distribution of Gothic 2 was funny - it was available a year or so ago, when I snatched it, and then JoWood requested for the sales to be stopped, so now you can buy neither G2 nor its add-on here.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Elwro said:
edit: to JJ: Yes, you should. In Poland distribution of Gothic 2 was funny - it was available a year or so ago, when I snatched it, and then JoWood requested for the sales to be stopped, so now you can buy neither G2 nor its add-on here.

I've never been able to find either down here in the Land of the Long White Cloud.

I've played a demo of the first - awkward controls, but I was very intrigued and wanted more!

Hope Gothic III gets a better distribution...

Transcendent One

Liturgist
The scavenger in the video looked very little like the ones in the first two games. I hope radically different graphics won't create a sense of discontinuity between the games.

Fresh

Erudite
Transcendent One said:
The scavenger in the video looked very little like the ones in the first two games. I hope radically different graphics won't create a sense of discontinuity between the games.

Dont worry. It´s supposed to look different. It´s an arabic scavenger. :wink:

Digit

Liturgist
A what now?

I would love for them to get a good ending this time. The endings for G1 and 2 were both terrible. It was funny, after you thought they couldn't do worse in G1, they surprised you in G2. I did like G2, I just kinda wish for more random dungeons that you don't have to do, but if you want something cool you can brave them. When I say Dungeon, I mean more than 1 more... and more than 1 Dungeon with 1 room.

Anyhow, I digress... a what now? ;)

Digit

Old Scratch

Liturgist
Dungeons suck though. The lack of long, extensive dungeons is one of the things I really like about those games.

Karl

Novice
As long as they don't add huge Daggerfall like random dungeons, it'll be ok; but surely they won't do that. Still, because the new Gothic is set on the mainland of it's fantasy world, Piranha Bytes probably has enough room to put some nice -- and foremost believable! -- dungeons in place. So no extensive multi level Dungeons of Doom, but instead dungeons matched to the somewhat believable size of the game world.
That last one, the well sized game world, always was a strong point of Gothic's design.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Whipporowill said:
I know what you're saying Digit - it was cool seeing the last dungeon in Gothic, but it was pretty odd it was like the only real dungeon in the game, and really, really short.
There was another one, on the eastern shore (under a tower), but it was optional. Plenty of skeletons, a mage and this Chrysostomus (or sth) book there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom