Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bloodlines named IGN's PC RPG of the Year

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

<a href=http://pc.ign.com>IGN</a>'s big <a href=http://bestof.ign.com/2004/pc/>Game of the Year Awards deal</a> is up, and their pick for <a href=http://bestof.ign.com/2004/pc/9.html>Best RPG of 2004</a> is none other than Troika's Vampire: Bloodlines.<blockquote>Why it Rocked: While the consoles got a lot of RPG love this year, such was not the case for the PC. However, we did get a nice treat with Bloodlines, based on the Source engine and developed by Troika, members of whom made the Fallout games. That's a nice pedigree, and the gang delivered a deep and rewarding RPG game based on the White World universe. A few speed bumps here and there couldn't prevent Bloodlines from rising to the top, with its solid character development, interesting characters, extensive high-quality dialogue, shiny visuals, and varied gameplay.</blockquote>Seems like Bloodlines pretty much won it by default since there's really nothing else in terms of big-name PC RPGs this year. At least at IGN, it didn't get bumped by Paper Mario.

Mendoza

Liturgist
I think it says everything that it was the only category with no runner up.

DemonKing

Arcane
Well its a bit of a no-brainer since there was nothing else of note released (Sacred & Kult being the only two I can recall, off the top of my head).

At least ign didn't dump the CRPG category in with MMPORPGs like Gamespy did.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
BL is my fave RPG of the year. Though that isn't saying much since I haven't played KOTOR2 and the only other one I played really was FF X-2 which isn't too bad; but it has its problems... Plus, some "old" games like Gothic *puke* 2.

I like BL. I wish I could say I love it though.

EvoG

Erudite
I mean really, I'm very proud of Obsidian, taking a game that was already destined to sell more copies than its predecessor, and making it so strong. Hell I'm so taken aback by the complexity of the dialogue, that I'm both anxious and cautious eveytime I talk to someone. Black and white this is not(not the game Black and White, but the scenarios rather :P ). Anyway, they could've easily sat by and made a game that was just getting you from A to B without much effort, but instead made damned sure it was deep and compelling, all in the right places. Now we have a game EVERYONE is going to play, and see what brilliance can do to an already successful franchise.

Obsidian has accomplished something significant in one fell swoop.

Cheers

DemonKing

Arcane
EvoG said:
I mean really, I'm very proud of Obsidian, taking a game that was already destined to sell more copies than its predecessor, and making it so strong. Hell I'm so taken aback by the complexity of the dialogue, that I'm both anxious and cautious eveytime I talk to someone. Black and white this is not(not the game Black and White, but the scenarios rather :P ). Anyway, they could've easily sat by and made a game that was just getting you from A to B without much effort, but instead made damned sure it was deep and compelling, all in the right places. Now we have a game EVERYONE is going to play, and see what brilliance can do to an already successful franchise.

Obsidian has accomplished something significant in one fell swoop.

Well, since a large percentage of us have to wait until next year to find out whether it stacks up or not, BL wins be default...especially in the best *PC* CRPG 2004 category!

EvoG

Erudite
Err...who's "us"?(this is a rhetorical question) as we're talking IGN's, not RPGCodex's vote for RPG of the year ( 2004 ) Be my guest, as for 2004 for those not living here, sure, it could be *cough*BL if you like.

ADD: Well it IS PC RPG's they're talking about, so arguably yes, BL wins only by the sheer nature of it 'existing', which isn't saying THAT much. I mean, if your vote choice is ONE game, well...SOMETHING has to win. :P

ADD 2: Alright DemonKing I reread you post knowing now you meant the PC version of KotoR 2...so you can pretty much disregard my entire first half of this post. :shock:

Cheers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom