Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

6 wizards Path of the Damned

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
So I decided to try a 6 wizard PotD run.

Went with 6 death godlikes (+1 dex and +1 int) and old valia culture (+1 int).

Stats on all 6 wizards are might 18, con 7, dex 19, per 7, int 20, and resolve 7.

Only did a couple of hours of playing (protagonist lvl4, sidekicks lvl 3), but so far its ..... interesting. Its both challenging and extremely satisfying.

Stuff dies really fast and the CC is getting better and better.

Am actually thinking of restarting with 6 wood elf wizards (1 less int, but can wear hats!), tho kinda undecided atm.
What do you guys think?

hiver

Exactly. Doing it with six identical clones makes it even less fun.

So I decided to try a 6 wizard PotD run.

Went with 6 death godlikes (+1 dex and +1 int) and old valia culture (+1 int).

Stats on all 6 wizards are might 18, con 7, dex 19, per 7, int 20, and resolve 7.

Only did a couple of hours of playing (protagonist lvl4, sidekicks lvl 3), but so far its ..... interesting. Its both challenging and extremely satisfying.

Stuff dies really fast and the CC is getting better and better.

Am actually thinking of restarting with 6 wood elf wizards (1 less int, but can wear hats!), tho kinda undecided atm.
What do you guys think?
I don't know why you'd make them all into the same race. 2-3 godlikes sounds good, then the rest can use the comparatively few useful hats there are.

I'd prolly make 2-3 people into cold elves for the +10 DR to fire and ice. Let them be frontline, with tanky stats, and the people in the back can shower the enemies in infinite flame cones and ice cones (later spell) and fireballs and whatnot without thinking of friendly fire.

Athelas

Arcane
Wood elves are the best choice for their ranged accuracy racial (which applies to spells as well I believe).

hiver

There you go, diversify a bit to make it more interesting. And make stats different too, atleast to some degree.

Atchodas

Augur
There are many ways to build wizard on PoE no need to go 6 identical ones , id go for 2 battlemages for tanking, 2 glasscanon casters for nuking and 2 control freaks to control the fights , all with different builds talents and skillsets , tho i can see how going 6 identical ones and using Fan of Flames only would be just enough to finish the game without any problems , just how boring that would be tho .

tdphys

Learned
I respecced my melee mage companion in POTD, thought res was a dump stat, boy was I wrong. Low res is no good when you get interrupted constantly. I like my gish to effortlessly shove fan of flames down the throats of the the three guys mercilessly beating him...

Atchodas

Augur
I think Resolve is hands down best from 3 defensive stats ( const , per and res ) , especially for a battlemage who casts while tanking. Maxing Resolve( Concentration , Deflection , Will ) Might(DPS) and Intelect(AOE+Duration=Epic) is way to go , Dumping dexterity for sure as if i am gona use armors that gives -40% penalties another -20% seems not a big deal also reflex is kinda useless unless you manage to stack great numbers of it then it becomes very strong , what my wizard(battlemage) seems to lack is health , not endurance , but health most of my rests on POTD are because damn battlemage ran out of health points due to low base stats for a class and i play with 10 const , not sure what would be better having perception and const even ( 12~ ) or maxing const and dumping perception and all deflection that comes with it , too bad i am not gona find out soon because i plan to make next playtrough tribute to creators of the game and use those damn companions with their awfull stats for once it feels like i missed alot in both of my playtroughs when i skipped all the companions ( stole their items first tho ) and replaced them with hirelings .

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Every single ranged unit should probably be a wood elf, especially on PotD. Dumping con to 3 and putting 2 more in per and resolve is probably the right choice as well.

Don't bother with wizard feats, give them marksman/gunner and weapon focus soldier and give them all arbalests and arquebuses. It will be hilariously easy.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
ROFL at the metal track xD

Anyway, party due to personal reasons and RP reasons im going for a straight 6 "wizardy" wizards (wands, wizard feat etc...). They all start with the same stats but will diversify in game (spells etc).

Tbh the bonus for upping perception and resolve seems so miniscule, so id rather keep the 3 main stats all the way up...

Dunno, its just a personal choice. Am about to continue playing and will take some screenies and make a LP or something. :)

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Ok here is the party freshly created
poe3.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

AN4RCHID

Arcane
What the hell does Combusting Wounds do anyway? I never picked it up because I had no idea what "wounds" referred to in the description. I thought it was a monk-specific attack until I realized there are zero monk enemies in the game.

Lhynn

Arcane
What the hell does Combusting Wounds do anyway? I never picked it up because I had no idea what "wounds" referred to in the description. I thought it was a monk-specific attack until I realized there are zero monk enemies in the game.
Makes anyone thats affected by it take a pitiful amount of extra damage. Nice if you have a barb i guess.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Makes anyone thats affected by it take a pitiful amount of extra damage. Nice if you have a barb i guess.
Oh. I guess that's kind of a cool idea, but it would have to be very powerful to justify it's special-case-ness.

Atchodas

Augur
Even on one enemy if you cast Combusting Wounds on him and then auto attack him with 6 characters thats like +5 dmg per attack so +30 dmg every cycle of aa's your team makes . This is one of the key spells if you use your wizard as a debuffer/controller instead of glasscanon build that sux ( HEy ima wizardlizard gona cast fire spell but fireball does negative damage so i am gona fan of flameee... wizardlizard has died )

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
You should at least diversify the godlike type, to get the various bonuses (include at least the moon type, which sends out those healing waves at 25%/50%/75%, in case you get hit a bit).

Tigranes

Arcane
Even on one enemy if you cast Combusting Wounds on him and then auto attack him with 6 characters thats like +5 dmg per attack so +30 dmg every cycle of aa's your team makes . This is one of the key spells if you use your wizard as a debuffer/controller instead of glasscanon build that sux ( HEy ima wizardlizard gona cast fire spell but fireball does negative damage so i am gona fan of flameee... wizardlizard has died )

Oh, so that's why it was useless for me. Seems like you only get mileage out of it with 5 or 6 characters, same with the Pain intensifying Cipher ability.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet

Ok so cleared the Raedric's Hold and the wilderness behind that 2nd village where you recruit Grieving Mother. Blasts and Combusting wounds turn out really well. Also tried out plate armor on all characters and never looked back. Now they have some modicum of survival.

Playing with an all-godlike party would be kind of a overkill (especially 6 moon ones), but the dex&int bonus would be sweet tho. Atm 6 wood elves work really well :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom