Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Commander: First Looks

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Larian Studios

<p>RPGWatch provide a <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=176&amp;ref=0&amp;id=476" target="_blank">GamesCom-based preview</a> of Larian Studio's upcoming <strong>Dragon Commander</strong>.</p>
<p>First of all, according to Swen Vincke, <em>it's not an RPG</em>. But there might be some interesting aspects to it:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em>Dragon Commande</em>r is a mix of role playing, strategy and dragon combat in a steampunk setting. It tells the story of one of the first dragon knights. A story that unfolds during the game.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>In the presentation we started at the main ship, which is your hub throughout the game. In this hub there are several people living you can interact with and each of them has their own story arc. The game plays in turns and after each turn you have to make your decisions about a lot of things, both complicated and simple. Decisions about who to romance, what strategy to follow, what to research, who to fight and many other things.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>While in combat you will play as a dragon. A dragon equipped with a jetpack and armaments allowing you to toughen the dragon. It is also possible to give him the fantasy equivalent of sidewinders to increase his power even further.</p>
<p>Dragon combat in <em>Divinity 2</em> just didn&rsquo;t work. It was fun for a short time, but after a while it got boring. In <em>Dragon Commander</em> it looks like they have solved that problem. The dragon is equipped with a jetpack. If you use it time is slowed down, which gives the dragon the ability to navigate around incoming projectiles and manage large amounts of enemies even though the fights can be very dynamic. The jetpack also allows the dragon to rapidly navigate to a point on the map with a high velocity of 200 meters a second over a map with a size of 20 square kilometers.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>While technically not a pure RPG, they seem to shoot for a steampunk setting enriched with choices and non-linearity. I hope it's not the only Divinity game they're preparing.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=176&amp;ref=0&amp;id=476">RPGWatch</a></p>

Korgan

Arbiter
Okay, sounds decent. I hope dragon combat is going to be less ponderous and monotonous than in Eye of The Dragon.

Regdar

Arcane
Decisions about who to romance

8PQpU.gif

Bahamut

Arcane
Why the title is cheesy as fuck it might be fun,
positive lol from the dead chick pic, tis not at least stick in the ass bethesdian/bioware humor

And
Bones.JPG

That armor is from FoV, assets recycling eh?

circ

Arcane
You must obey the dragon commander
Giving out the order for fun
You must obey the dragon commander
You know that he's the only one
Who gives the orders here
Alright
Who gives the orders here
Alright

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Bahamut said:
So? If companies focused more on gameplay and content, reusing graphics and models, rather than building a whole new engine for every new game, the world would be a better place.

Bahamut

Arcane
hoverdog said:
Bahamut said:
So? If companies focused more on gameplay and content, reusing graphics and models, rather than building a whole new engine for every new game, the world would be a better place.

Well i eint told this was bad, but it just give a hints that the game will be prob feel like D2 with concentration on dragon combat,

Whan im really worried is performance, FoV had one iritating memory leak upon entering/exiting locations

Regdar

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
i don't know man, those apples sure look tasty.
8675.jpg

i have to say i really like the style of the hq.

I retract my previous statement. :lol:

And yeah, the HQ has a very strong steampunk feel to it. I'm actually a little intrigued, but will reserve judgement for when I see some combat.

Issuing orders and controlling dragons sounds fun on paper, but they have consoles to think about, amirite?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Excellent trolling with the dead bride, will follow with interest.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Paused.JPG

Skyway's been having a lot of stopped clock moments lately... still cautiously interested, still waiting for more news about Project E.

Kraszu

Prophet
The romance look like a strategic choice, not reading emo shit, and watching a fucking cut scene, you can also choose dwarves, and throw the romance option out of your ship.

Raapys

Arcane
In many ways the whole thing seems kinda like a big joke. On the other hand, it might be different enough that it'll actually be fun.

Stinger

Arcane
Romance with skeletons+boobapples, dragons with jetpacks, buying princesses? Yeah sure I'm interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom