Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date
Repressed Homosexual
I almost never touch a console anymore.

Dark Souls is pretty much the only console game I look forward to.

I'll get a Vita for the occasional quality quirky Japanese game, but that'll be pretty much it.

Drakron

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
There is a reason to bash Playstation 1 because it ruined console gaming.

>Implying there was no N64.

I feel ashamed to reply but serious ... what the PlayStation did was moving for a open format, CD as Nintendo maintained control over actual production with cartridges and that is also why Sony gained support, the N64 was more technical advanced on several areas even if it suffered from its cartridges limitations (64 MB).

3D not only did come WITHOUT the PlayStation (as Ocarina of Time certain evident) but also did not ruined console gaming, for that we have to blame the PlayStation 2 success coupled by Microsoft XBox luring traditional western developers to the Console market leading to "PC is dead" and "one system=no Q&A testing".

Ermm

Erudite
PS1 also had some amazing 2d games like Alundra, Rayman, Herc Adventures.

I really miss mascot wars, because they were more charming than popamole war we have nowadays.

Mortmal

Arcane
Nope decline doesnt come from console, its a massive civilisation decline, thats what happens when you try to make the maximum profits with the minimun efforts possible. The games we loved were all made for gamers by designers whose purpose were to make great games, thats simple as that. Youll see the same decline in movies , heck even in building construction youll see the decline!

The thread subject is about quality console gaming suffering more decline than pc gaming . It seems so, i agree with posters above i can hardly find 10 good games on the wii and ps3, a few instant classics.You dont find shooters like ikaruga anymore , or something equivalent to castlevania.
I am not even enthusiastic at buying the wii-U as i see nothing announced on it justifying the purchase. At least on pc i got witcher 2 to justify my new beast of a machine, i am expecting x-rebirth to use it as well...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wyrmlord said:
It rings as hollow as a cigarette smoker talking about which cigarette is elite and which cigarette is dumbed down for the masses; whatever, it's just a cigarette.
Menthol versus regular. Unfiltered versus filtered. Cigars versus cigarettes. Pipe versus paper versus hookah. Which ways are the best for feeding an addiction and destroying your lungs?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
World of Warcraft, a game that was intentionally designed to be addictive, sometimes to the detriment of its playerbase:
http://www.rpgownage.com/2011/03/697/
I'm not going to check to see if all those sources are legit since I only care enough to utter a mild "tsk" or "tut."

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Spellcaster said:
sgc_meltdown said:
thread op is probably never going to reply because SoTN would have exploded his head after playing super castlevania 4 or whatever
:lol:

Castlevania 4 is a masterpiece, and so far SotN was p. great too. But the best past of the series is, without a doubt, the soundtracks. Holy Jesus, they get better with each game and that's an impressive accomplishment as CV1 already had great music. You barely start SotN and the game throws this at your face.

The whole series so far is great, if I had played this when I was younger it would probably be one of my favorite franchises, alongside with Thief and some other LGS games (not better than these by all means, but still). Well, it's already getting up there :M

Ayami Kojima's art is also very nice

Probably 3/4's of my music library is pulled from console games. It was fucking amazing the music they had on the SNES back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh0MfgPP ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fvKKTGj ... re=related

Or practically anything from BoF 2.

I remember playing Illusion of Gaia as well, talking to people in slums of Freejia and gambling in games of russian roulette, talking to dying/dead friends. Awesome stuff. Now for these kinds of games we have... Spyro the dragon. Zak and Wiki. Crash Bandicoot. :decline:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
LOLOLOLLOLOLLOL OMG THIS THREAD IS TOTAL GAMESPOT DECLINE SHIT RETARTEDNESS

PC RULES LOLOLOL CONSOLES SUCK

NO LOLOLOLO PC IS FOR NERDS LOLOLOL CONSOLES RULE

MANY OF YOU FAGS MUST BE SERIOSULY IMPOTENT IN MOST AREAS OF YOUR LIFE TO TAKE PRIDE IN HOW SMART YOU ARE IN VIDEO GAME CHOICES

LOLOLOOLOLOL "DON'T FIND SHOOTERS LIKE IKARUGA" IKARUGA HD IS ON THE 360 BRO AND SHADOW CONSPIRACY IS A CASTELVANIA OR METROID CLONE AND THERE ARE TONS OF 2D ARCADE SHOOTERS HELL IT WHAT I PLAY THE MOST OF THE FAGBOX

BROS ANYWAYS YOU PCTARDS ARE THE NEWFAGS INTELLIVISION AND 2600 WAS OLDSCHOOL YOU ARE DECLINE HOMO PCTARDS LOLOLOLOL

BROS ARE YOU THE SAME GUYS THAT GO TO SEE SUPERHERO MOVIES AND COMPLAIN THAT THEY ARE BRIAN DEAD TRASH LOLLOLOLLOLOL THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE ESSENTAILLY DOING HERE

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
LOLLOOLLOLLOL AND LOOKING FOR COMPLEX CONSOLE GAMES IS LIKE TRYING TO FUCK A GIRL IN THE BELLYBUTTON BRO YOU ARE GOING AT IT ALL WRONG IT ISNT THE BELLYBUTTONS FAULT

Sordid Jester

Educated
BLOBERT said:
LOLLOOLLOLLOL AND LOOKING FOR COMPLEX CONSOLE GAMES IS LIKE TRYING TO FUCK A GIRL IN THE BELLYBUTTON BRO YOU ARE GOING AT IT ALL WRONG IT ISNT THE BELLYBUTTONS FAULT

:M

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Castlevania marathon is awesome. Did one myself some time ago, Castlevania 1,2,3,4, Dracula X, Rondo of Blood PSP, SotN, Order of Ecclesia, Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow. One of the best game series ever, and the soundtracks, my god, the soundtracks!

:thumbsup:

I somewhat agree with OP's point about decline, even though i do think that PC offered more advanced gaming expirience and i am glad i switched to playing Dune 2 and Transport Tycoon right after NES.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Spellcaster said:
I'm terribly fearful of the newer, 3D ones though, as they probably ruined the series.

I only played Lords of Shadows and while it's a GoW rip-off and not a real Castlevania game, it's a damn good GoW rip-off and has some of the best visuals to date.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Hamster said:
Spellcaster said:
I'm terribly fearful of the newer, 3D ones though, as they probably ruined the series.

I only played Lords of Shadows and while it's a GoW rip-off and not a real Castlevania game, it's a damn good GoW rip-off and has some of the best visuals to date.
Yeah I don't know about that one, but the N64 games are horrible.

spekkio

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
MANY OF YOU FAGS MUST BE SERIOSULY IMPOTENT IN MOST AREAS OF YOUR LIFE TO TAKE PRIDE IN HOW SMART YOU ARE IN VIDEO GAME CHOICES
:cry:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
There were times when PC games like X-Com and Civilization were ported to consoles.
Too bad they didn't release the BG1 console port.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Wyrmlord said:
You know why? Because it's just a videogame. What's with this stupid talk about videogames and high taste? Playing a videogame is not the same thing as reading Homer or translating works from Assyrian. It's just playing a videogame. It has nothing to do with being "elite". It rings as hollow as a cigarette smoker talking about which cigarette is elite and which cigarette is dumbed down for the masses; whatever, it's just a cigarette.

Some people have no sense of proportion.
Why do you assume that reading Homer makes someone elite? Reading is very easy. You just read a word after word. On the other hand playing through let's say Operation Flashpoint campaign actually requires you not only to read but also learn about how weapons work, how to aim on various distances, how ballistics work, what tactics to use, etc.
I've read the Iliad and the Odyssey and I have found it much less challenging than let's say finishing the OFP campaign (which I actually didn't finish). Why mastering all these skills would be less elite than indulging in a simple passive entertainment?

Seymour

Liturgist
It's true, console games also went to shit quite some time ago. Personally, I blame it on the trend of removing any semblance of challenge whatsoever from games. Shit like the new Prince of Persia where you very literally can't lose should be considered unacceptable, instead it is just the logical outcome of today's "casual"-oriented design philosophy. If anyone and their aunt can't blow stuff up in a cinematic fashion then it just isn't "fun".

Spellcaster said:
I'm terribly fearful of the newer, 3D ones though, as they probably ruined the series

If you like Castlevania for the tough as nails platforming then yes, though then you might argue Symphony of the Night has the merit of ruining the series well before 3D. If you enjoy the Metroidvanias' collect-a-thon aspect I'd very much recommend Curse of Darkness for PS2/Xbox, which has about 3 levels of pokemonship (stealing, crafting and demon raising) to keep you entertained.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I remember that my uncle which is a Playstation gamer at some point of existence of PS2 started complaining a lot about how games started to be very easy and very short.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I remember that my uncle which is a Playstation gamer at some point of existence of PS2 started complaining a lot about how games started to be very easy and very short.
I was too young back then, but I thought some of the early PS2 era games were quite long.

Still, when I finished God of War in a single weekend in...2005, I realized that a new trend of very short games had begun. 2005 was still premature, given that 2-hour-long games were on the way two or three years later.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
To people who went through that era, stuff like Oblivion was probably a massive incline.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wyrmlord said:
I was too young back then, but I thought some of the early PS2 era games were quite long.

Still, when I finished God of War in a single weekend in...2005, I realized that a new trend of very short games had begun. 2005 was still premature, given that 2-hour-long games were on the way two or three years later.
Not counting reloads/places where I got stuck, I think God of War took me maybe 8-10 hours. Onimusha took 6 hours, Onimusha 2, 3 and Devil May Cry 1 and 3 all took about 12, Shinobi could possibly take around 8 or fewer if I wasn't struggling so much, I don't remember a saved game timer. It's all in your head. Those uh... action-adventure/hack and slash/brawler things were never terribly long for the most part.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Konichiwaagh.jpg

Since we're already discussing console games in this here thread I'm gonna go right ahead and hijack it and ask what controller one should use for emulation with some of these older console games.? For the SNES a keyboard works fine mostly though I wouldn't mind a game pad like I used to when I actually had a SNES (sold mine off years ago sadly).
For N64 games on the other hand the analogue stick, or lack there off is rather annoying in certain games like Zelda. :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom