Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review COPS 2170 Reviewed

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: MISTLand; Power of Law: COPS: 2170

Like me, most of us have to wait a very long time for any turn-based games to come out because of their relative scarcity in the gaming market, at least of late. While I have personally opted for replays of old turn-based titles and RPGs like Jagged Alliance 2 and Battle Isle 3, there have been a few games released in the recent years that try to fill the niche. One such game is the recently released COPS 2170, developed by Russian developers Mistland and published in the States by Strategy First.

It was only natural that Mistland would have another attempt at developing another turn-based title after the moderate successes of Paradise Cracked and Alfa Anti-Terror in their Russian homeland, but the reception for the former aforementioned title (the latter is yet to be released elsewhere) was definitely a lot less than spectacular everywhere else. While you may lament the poor sales of the underappreciated Silent Storm (my personal opinion of the game notwithstanding) in the United States, there's little of value to be found in the box of Paradise Cracked. Nonetheless, Mistland likely follows the principle of 'trial and error'. Let's see how their latest offering turned out.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Good review, but I would like to point out that if you click your mouse in the dialogue boxes, it will immediately give you all the text in one big lump. The voice will still be going, but this allows you to read and click OK without having to wait. Just thought you should know. ;)

AZ

Liturgist
Hi all, I have been reading codex for a while, but this is my first post.

I would like to point a few things out - using the "a" key you can move all the characters together (even in tb) , there is a level system based on experience and a rank system based on completing missions.
The tb combat is very unpolished. Moving units, and aiming is just pain, makes you want to go back playing Incubation. The main problem of the interface that there are lots of common things you can archive only whit keys (like turning units, group movement). There is an interesting damage model, for example if your charter's arm gets hurt, his aiming will be reduced (like Fallout), but you can't aim at the body parts of the enemy. I think it's called "undeveloped potential". :roll: The sad thing, that this game could have been much better whit just a bit of more work.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Yeah, I was pretty upset about not being able to move all my units at once, but then I read the manual. Go figure. :P

I like the game. It's nothing fancy, but it's TB and, while no TOEE, it's still decent as far as strategy goes. Yes, it could be much better. Here's hoping a patch is forthcoming soon. My main reason for deciding it's a keeper though is the whole modding capability. That's where the game will shine if it ever takes off.

Fez

Erudite
The review was not bad, while COPS 2170 might not be Game Of The Year, it highlighted the game had some redeeming qualities. IGN and others made it sound like a total loss.

AZ

Liturgist
No, it's not a total loss. It is a medicore game, whit a trashed possibility of being great. It's still better than Silent Storm. That game had a great engine, but the story, missions, the unrealistic weapons just sucked.

Sure, we can still have fait in modders.. Silent Storm had same amount of modding support, but nobody cared to make a realistic mod.

I just installed Incubation, nice turn based alien hunting, and works fine whit XP sp1.. :wink:

Fez

Erudite
I liked S2 and S3, they were not as good as JA2, but it was still good. I hated waiting for items to slide about and down hills before a turn ended though.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
AZ said:
I just installed Incubation, nice turn based alien hunting, and works fine whit XP sp1.. :wink:

Definitely a wonderful underdog that did not get the credit it was due. I still have my copy and it and the sequel. Limited in strategy, really, but still good games.

Fez

Erudite
Incubation was pretty good, it reminded at times of the spacehulk board games, with the overwatch mode, when you were up against lots of basic melee grunts (can't remember the name). Very different when you had the leaping shooting locusts and those giant monsters later on, though. It still works fine in XP. I remember liking the sound effects and voices. Tehre were some nice touches with it too, like finding team mates as you played and discovering battle fields that you could scavange.

It's a shame Blue Byte made so many good games and then ruined the Battle Isle franchise.

Fresh

Erudite
BUMP

Anyone played the game recently? Are there any Mods/patches out that makes the game better?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom